The Outback year round living

Iamme
Board Meister

The Outback year round living

Post by Iamme »

Pros and cons welcome. I have a pretty good idea, but welcome input. I’ll be selling and can afford it. Curious to hear pros and cons and personal experiences. Thanks.
Bullying is not acceptable and cowardly. You know who you are.
outtawind
Fledgling

Re: The Outback year round living

Post by outtawind »

Con: you'll be living amongst people who feel the need to tell you they can afford it.
Iamme
Board Meister

Post by Iamme »

outtawind wrote: Feb 28th, 2022, 2:31 pm Con: you'll be living amongst people who feel the need to tell you they can afford it.
Valid point lol I’m not one for putting up with people like that lol Not that I’m aggressive. I just walk away from people like that lol Plus fall, winter, spring would be nice and quiet. I currently live on Tronson Rd by the airport. No shortage of Zoom zoom here altho it doesn’t particularly bother me. Neither do the skydivers
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I’ve watched on PBS the story of Dick Proenneke, I suspect he was very much a introvert. “A” type personality can’t handle the lifestyle of Dick.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Iamme
Board Meister

Post by Iamme »

GordonH wrote: Feb 28th, 2022, 8:38 pm I’ve watched on PBS the story of Dick Proenneke, I suspect he was very much a introvert. “A” type personality can’t handle the lifestyle of Dick.
I looked him up. Interesting. Thank you. i wouldn’t be alone in the wildnerness like that. I’m a mix between introvert and extrovert. And definitely not a A full on A personality lol
outtawind
Fledgling

Post by outtawind »

Okay, apologies for the cheap laugh.

I'm also near the landing. Have been down there a few times. My impression - ghost town in the winter, busy in the summer.

Personally I'd not want to be adjacent summer rentals... folks who come in for just a week tend to 'live it up' every night - might be exhausting after two months of activity. Would be great if they'd have put a view restaurant on the point there...

Compared to Tronson - a LOT less vehicle noise - probably zero (the lumby-limos headed out to adventure bay). Zero airport noise also. I guess there will be more connectivity to Predator now that they bought that large parcel above Ellison... will they eventually punch a road through there?

It's always been a shame for the landing that the frind property never had public walking trails - all that range land but nowhere to walk like ellison.
Iamme
Board Meister

Post by Iamme »

outtawind wrote: Mar 3rd, 2022, 4:51 pm Okay, apologies for the cheap laugh.

I'm also near the landing. Have been down there a few times. My impression - ghost town in the winter, busy in the summer.

Personally I'd not want to be adjacent summer rentals... folks who come in for just a week tend to 'live it up' every night - might be exhausting after two months of activity. Would be great if they'd have put a view restaurant on the point there...

Compared to Tronson - a LOT less vehicle noise - probably zero (the lumby-limos headed out to adventure bay). Zero airport noise also. I guess there will be more connectivity to Predator now that they bought that large parcel above Ellison... will they eventually punch a road through there?

It's always been a shame for the landing that the frind property never had public walking trails - all that range land but nowhere to walk like ellison.
No apologies necessary lol I know where you’re coming from. Your points are valid and have thought about these points including winter ghost town and will be looking at only the right place for the right price. I don’t have to move which is good. That said, very interesting about what you said about Predator. I’ll look into that for more info Hmmmm. Thank you. I appreciate your feedback :130:
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

In winter, road maintenance past the Yacht Club is not quite so stellar, and the road can be downright dangerous at times. In summer, there is indeed a huge increase in traffic on this skinny, windy little road.

On the YLW flightpath there is actually a fair bit of airplane noise, also helicopters, but that noise is usually short-lived. I do find it funny when folks complain about boat noise - nothing like the sound of others having fun on the lake, to really tick some folks off!

Strata fees $500+/month?
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Iamme
Board Meister

Post by Iamme »

Ingevan22 wrote: Mar 7th, 2022, 6:19 am In winter, road maintenance past the Yacht Club is not quite so stellar, and the road can be downright dangerous at times. In summer, there is indeed a huge increase in traffic on this skinny, windy little road.

On the YLW flightpath there is actually a fair bit of airplane noise, also helicopters, but that noise is usually short-lived. I do find it funny when folks complain about boat noise - nothing like the sound of others having fun on the lake, to really tick some folks off!

Strata fees $500+/month?
Thanks Inge. The roads in winter aren’t a huge concern but still…. Pretty much retired and can pick my hours or do errands, groceries at my leisure or leave for a few weeks. Good to know about the a/p noise. I live across from the Vernon a/p and don’t mind air traffic noise at all. I actually can watch the skydivers land across from where I live. The traffic noise on Tronson is busy, so that’s no problem either really. It might be lighter anyway. Kin Beach is a down the street. 12 min walk lol People drive like it’s Indy 500 and some Motorbikes and vehicles are louder than than the airplanes lol. From what I see, maintenance fees are higher due to the amenities. $600/700 plus depending on unit. My maintenance fees here are pretty low and ppty taxes relatively similar. It’s currently a wait and see as I’ll only move if the right place comes up. Thanks for your input. It’s valued and appreciated :130:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Follow in footsteps of the bushman of the Shuswap (minus the illegal stuff).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Re: trails to/from Predator Ridge

I sure hope members of the public will still be allowed to access PR trails from the Ellison bike trails.

We used to be able to hike along the emergency route from Sunset Estates, all the way up to Predator Ridge/Sparkling Hill. It was a lovely walk with beautiful views. Now there are NO TRESPASSING signs, cameras etc. So I guess that means, PR/SH maintains a PRIVATE trail network? Seems a bit odd, that our City maintains an emergency access that I am not allowed to walk on?

Meanwhile, on the other side of the hill, $200K+ taxpayer dollars have already been used to improve connectivity from Predator Ridge & Sparkling Hill to the Rail Trail: https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/commu ... tor-ridge/
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Iamme
Board Meister

Post by Iamme »

That’s what I am concerned about. It used to be a hideaway, now it seems to be going from good to worse.

Return to “North Okanagan”