Fire Dan McLaughlin

one wheel
Übergod

Fire Dan McLaughlin

Post by one wheel »

Curtis Sagmoen has once again had charges stayed without explanation but Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service has now brought another 3 counts against him. Was this done in order to give hope to family's who have been waiting for results since October of 2017 ?
These 3 charges should have been dealt with in October of 2020 when they occurred.
Our taxes pay Dan McLaughlin & yet he's allowed to drag cases into Court that have such flimsy evidence they can't stand up & get dropped ?
Our Legal System is so broken it wouldn't be surprising to have Curtis Sagmoen charge the Prosecution Service with knowingly harassing him ?
my5cents
Guru

Re: Fire Dan McLaughlin

Post by my5cents »

I don't like the condition of our courts system either, but I don't think you're going to get much sympathy for anything in relation to Sagmoen.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

I think taxpayers have a right to expect that we have the best people possible in Government positions & especially those who work for the Crown Prosecutor Service.
I don't think we are receiving good value today ?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Perhaps this topic should be renamed "Do we need to fire Dan McLaughlin or is the problem systemic ?" or it could be both.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

A number of things come to mind. First to criticize McLaughlin you would need to know what charges. Secondly you would want to know what evidence they do have and can prove.

As many people have little understand of Criminal Law, there are a number of reasons charges are stayed. One of the main is a witness fails to show, without a key witness the charge will never end in conviction.

Hope the new charges are convictions, this guy needs to be put away.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Ken7 wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 7:47 am A number of things come to mind. First to criticize McLaughlin you would need to know what charges. Secondly you would want to know what evidence they do have and can prove.

As many people have little understand of Criminal Law, there are a number of reasons charges are stayed. One of the main is a witness fails to show, without a key witness the charge will never end in conviction.

Hope the new charges are convictions, this guy needs to be put away.
Yes there are a lot of reasons why Crown's Charge Approval will decline to approve charges and many reasons why a previously approved charge is stayed.

In this case: https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/36 ... wn-counsel I doubt the reason was because a witness refused to testify, since the victim is a police officer. Also this doesn't appear to be a case in which all were ready for trial on the day of the trial and crown discovers a witness is missing. It seems in preparation for trial a review of the evidence available, revealed there wasn't enough, or strong enough evidence for a likely outcome of guilty.

The entire Sagmoen situation is continual bad news and will very likely get worse before it gets better. "Better", likely being lengthy incarceration.

The entire general surrounding area of the Sagmoen farm is apparently dangerous for young women, and Sagmoen may not be the only culprit. I hope the RCMP are doing more than they appear to be doing.

Return to “North Okanagan”