Silver Star Mtn... the good times are over.

outtawind
Fledgling

Silver Star Mtn... the good times are over.

Post by outtawind »

Well, it didn't take long for the management change to be noticeable on multiple fronts. Good-bye reasonable family-oriented well looked after interior ski hill... hello understaffed, undergroomed weekend-wrecker with huge lines.

Understaffed, this might not be their fault entirely - but all the 'fringe' benefits the mountain used to offer are cut in big ways that sour the experience (you can almost forget about tube town, they only run half the lanes, so 30-40 mins per run). Figure part of this is just hiring less operators to save costs and increase profits.

undergroomed... Silver Star built its reputation on its legendary grooming... well... cut that in at LEAST half. So - what happens when they cut grooming by so much, the crowds funnel onto the same runs and the hill becomes a nightmare of crowded spaces. 50% reduction in grooming = measurable increase in profits.

And crowds... the mountain is totally over-sold. Go on a Saturday or Sunday - 20-30 minute, barely controlled lift lines at every lift. This weekend some folks I rode up with were barely making one HOUR runs... that is ONE RUN PER HOUR. You get to the bottom - and because of the understaffing mentioned above, there are mosh-pits and literal shouting matches in the lineups. Have fun on the backside - better bring your brass knuckles. Almost zero controls back there... enjoy your weekend fighting with folks budging infront of you trying to get onto the over-sold lift. maybe 30' or ropes for a mosh-pit that extends 150ft... it is a nightmare.

We were all hoping new owners would not destroy the experience... but here we are.
spooker

Re: Silver Star Mtn... the good times are over.

Post by spooker »

I'm having a great Monday up here ... while things definitely changed through the pandemic I haven't found anyone I share the chairlift with out of sorts ... haven't run into only half the lanes on Tube Town open but I'm not a frequent glider there, and yes, it does fill up nicely at times ...
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

outtawind wrote: Jan 30th, 2023, 9:11 am

Understaffed, this might not be their fault entirely - but all the 'fringe' benefits the mountain used to offer are cut in big ways that sour the experience (you can almost forget about tube town, they only run half the lanes, so 30-40 mins per run). Figure part of this is just hiring less operators to save costs and increase profits.

We were all hoping new owners would not destroy the experience... but here we are.
The entire continent is understaffed - not just Silver Star.
To suggest that they are understaffed deliberately to save costs and increase profits is simply nonsensical.
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

I think most of the problems described are due to lack of staff. It's not deliberate, NO ONE can find enough staff!

Hubby goes up every Tuesday, and sometimes another day, during the week. They seldom have wait times, and have been very happy with conditions. It is fortunate that he is both self-employed and semi-retired, as he doesn't have to go on weekends.

I think it is the fact that you're going on the weekend, is why you're encountering these problems.
tigerox
Board Meister

Post by tigerox »

I first got a seasons pass back in 97/98.

20/21 season I went Big White and thank God, because SS had that crazy parking reservation thing going on. I've had several seasons at Big White, which is objectively the better mountain.

I'll say this. I'm done with Silverstar. They've introduced outrageous "peak season" pricing, effectively making the sport a rich man's hobby only. I think it's a slap in the face to the local community.

I get a seasons pass every year. I hate how Revelstoke introduced a vaxpass for their hill, being government owned. They, and their lame lift infrastructure can do without my business. I know the mountain well enough to know that weekend riding there is less than ideal.

Silverstar opted to replace the old two seater with a gondola. In doing so, they wrecked the aesthetics of the mountain and hardly added any functionality to the hill. They also have relegated night riding to the weekends and have ended incentive pricing. The grooming has gotten steadily worse. Compared to Sun Peaks grooming, it's like night and day.

Silverstar also chose to lock me out of the 20/21 season pass purchase by "selling out" and offering a glib rip off option, all the while not honoring my voucher for having needlessly ending the previous season well short, and during the best spring skiing conditions I've known for 20 years.

Silverstar has relied on their proximity convenience. They can go suck a lemon in whatever corporate ownership group boardroom where they make their anti-consumer, squeeze-it-dry decisions.

It's ownership groups like them that played a part in blocking Jumbo Mountain from going forward. Them and the MEC buying indoor cat "outdoor enthusiasts" who felt it needed to be "kept wild".

All the hills are getting crowded, with the lift infrastructure not keeping up. Parking lots full. I'm this close to buying a workhorse sled and going full backcountry. Or going powder alliance/mountain collective and travelling more.

Silverstar and Big White used to offer that amazing dual pass option. Good times.
As an avid mountain rider I'm going to spend my money elsewhere, even if it means I'm going to be driving longer, and taking sublime road trips to give me access to better peaks.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Why would anyone go skiing at Silver Star when they can go to Sun Peaks?

If you got a season's pass at Sun Peaks last year you could get free skiing at the end of last year. So you go up a couple weekends and you've already made your money back before the season is even started. Far more skiing terrain, far more lifts, no big lineups, and better snow.

Only a complete moron would still be skiing at Silver Star.
Last edited by Glacier on Feb 19th, 2023, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If I was still able to ski there is a Ski resort I would like to try out, it’s a bit of a drive.
Knowing they currently have a base of little over 400cm, the mountain resort is Powder King.
My nephew and his friends travel from Edmonton to go boarding their.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
tigerox
Board Meister

Post by tigerox »

Glacier wrote: Feb 19th, 2023, 12:57 am Why would anyone go skiing at Silver Star when they can go to Sun Peaks?

If you got a season's pass at Sun Peaks last year you could get free skiing at the end of last year. So you go up a couple weekends and you've already made your money back before the season is even started. Far more skiing terrain, far more lifts, no big lineups, and better snow.

Only a complete idiot would still be skiing at Silver Star.
Sun Peaks gets less snow. It's also over twice the distance away, so time + fuel/mileage isn't worth it. Especially for someone that rides at least 4-6 days a month.

And, to be fair, Silverstar has more advanced terrain options than Sun Peaks.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Last time I skied Sun Peaks it was still called Todd Mt.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote: Feb 19th, 2023, 6:29 pm Last time I skied Sun Peaks it was still called Todd Mt.
They have utilized two other mountains since then, including north facing Mount Morrissey. Most skiing terrain per person in North America
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fishquadride

Post by Fishquadride »

I have been to ski resorts all over BC and Alberta going back to 1980. I was at Silver Star to do a half day of tubing and found the staff to be rude and aloof. Many seemed unhappy and unfriendly, one in particular who was a "supervisor" for whatever that means these days, needed serious attitude reconstruction. Wont be going back and will stick to Big White.I have two younger kids, many years of prime rec spending in front of myself and Silver Star will get none of it.
Iamme
Board Meister

Post by Iamme »

Fishquadride wrote: Feb 25th, 2023, 8:01 pm I have been to ski resorts all over BC and Alberta going back to 1980. I was at Silver Star to do a half day of tubing and found the staff to be rude and aloof. Many seemed unhappy and unfriendly, one in particular who was a "supervisor" for whatever that means these days, needed serious attitude reconstruction. Wont be going back and will stick to Big White.I have two younger kids, many years of prime rec spending in front of myself and Silver Star will get none of it.
That’s a shame. Back in the day a few years ago and more, SS was a great place to get away to. I’ve lived in Vernon since 2006 and have many fond memories. I love that it’s a small village kind of resort. I’m not a fan of Big White due to weather, more expensive, and facilities and amenities not that close by. Try Sun Peaks. It’s like mini Whistler but nicer imho for various reasons
Bullying is not acceptable and cowardly. You know who you are.
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

GordonH wrote: Feb 19th, 2023, 1:11 am If I was still able to ski there is a Ski resort I would like to try out, it’s a bit of a drive.
Knowing they currently have a base of little over 400cm, the mountain resort is Powder King.
My nephew and his friends travel from Edmonton to go boarding their.
Shhh! Don’tell!
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

tigerox wrote: Feb 19th, 2023, 12:02 am

Silverstar and Big White used to offer that amazing dual pass option. Good times.
As an avid mountain rider I'm going to spend my money elsewhere, even if it means I'm going to be driving longer, and taking sublime road trips to give me access to better peaks.
I miss the dual mountain pass days.
750$ and you got access to both mountains.
From downtown Kelowna its the same driving time to both mountains.

Big White is the better mountain however it is called "Big White" for a good reason. It can be a complete White out there and add in the strong winds it can ruin everything the mountain has to offer over Silver Star. That's when you go to Silver Star because they hardly ever get the white-out conditions seen at Biggie and for the most part get more snowfall so if you're a powder junkie like myself I go where the powder is.

I havent been up in the last two years due to pandemic restrictions and recently having a child. I was hoping Crystal Mountain -would re-open so we could go there as it would be a 10 minute drive away. Oh well We'll do our 1 ski trip a year to Biggie and not even bother with Silver Star anymore with all the changes made from new management/owners.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius

Return to “North Okanagan”