Vernon is Trashed

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Vernon is Trashed

Post by Catsumi »

Recently I entered Vernon from the Armstrong side and was dismayed to see that the highway into town has now become an open dump site.

There was a shopping cart lying on its side with spilled contents spread out right down to the ditch. Old clothes and litter of every description line the highway. Looking into the bushes one can see tents erected with piles of trash surrounding them.

There were piles of full garbage bags either dumped there, or best scenario, full of retrieved trash waiting for a dump truck.

It was quite a shock to see how degraded our highway into town has become. Community pride is lacking, now fully overcome by some of the irresponsible, devil-may-care, drug snuffling, work resistant people.

This area is habited (or was) with waterfowl visiting Swan Lake and small vertebrates. The pheasants seem to have shunned the area and who can fault them?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Vernon is Trashed

Post by Glacier »

I noted this a couple months ago. I drove all through the Cariboo, central BC, Kamloops, and back to Vernon, and nowhere was the trash more of an eye sore than what greeted me entering Vernon from the north. Sad.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I've had similar observations but more of: Vernon looks like a run down struggling city when you drive through via the highway. It's always been this way IMO, even 30 years ago. Unfortunately, driving through via the highway is often people's 1st impression of the city and many don't give it another chance.

Hadn't noticed the garbage on the North end, but that would certainly contribute to the poor impression.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

This has been like this well before the COVID outbreak and many have commented on it here and in the paper. But the city does seem to be upset.
To think that this is where they want to put the new recreation centre, right next to the homeless many of whom are addicts.
Better make sure you walk you children in ;and out. You better bring some change to keep them happy when they ask for a hand out.
It shows how much thought the city and its planning department put into their planning.
I think that every taxpayer in Vernon should let the Mayor and council know that they should be rethinking the re location of any thing that concerns children , seniors and the handicapped in the north until this problem is cleaned up.
Bigger question is where are they going to go. Most people say just build and give them free room and board but hey that is my tax money they are using and I for one do not wish to have my taxes go any higher.
Maybe get them to fill all the vacant job positions in Vernon.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

tabubil wrote: Nov 2nd, 2023, 11:05 am This has been like this well before the COVID outbreak and many have commented on it here and in the paper. But the city does seem to be upset.
To think that this is where they want to put the new recreation centre, right next to the homeless many of whom are addicts.
Better make sure you walk you children in ;and out. You better bring some change to keep them happy when they ask for a hand out.
It shows how much thought the city and its planning department put into their planning.
I think that every taxpayer in Vernon should let the Mayor and council know that they should be rethinking the re location of any thing that concerns children , seniors and the handicapped in the north until this problem is cleaned up.
Bigger question is where are they going to go. Most people say just build and give them free room and board but hey that is my tax money they are using and I for one do not wish to have my taxes go any higher.
Maybe get them to fill all the vacant job positions in Vernon.
I’d be happy to see them pick up all the trash on a regular basis. It truly is an eyesore when entering Vernon by this route.

I-normally use the old Kamloops Road as it is a view-pretty drive before hitting the highway to Kamloops. It’s been a couple of years since I used the 97N route into town, so was thoroughly shocked to see garbage everywhere.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

I don't see things getting any better in the future, it's rather scary really considering how quickly society has plummeted in a few short years. Nothing will change when every slack-*bleep* misfit runs roughshod over everyone else's rights with full approval by authorities because they might not have been potty-trained properly. I wish my dad and some of his buddies were in charge, things would change mighty quick (instead of blaming their generation for everything, place blame where it belongs, on the shoulders of the little Instagram brats spouting inclusiveness every chance they get).
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

Post by George Orwell 1984 »

We have the same commentary coming into Vernon from that direction . Shopping carts lining the highway , garbage everywhere . Crackheads infesting the area near Tim Hortons , Rona , Walmart . Fabricland . Truly sad . A couple trips ago into the Walmart area we witnessed a crackhead on a bicycle towing a shopping cart with another crackhead in it heading for morning Timmies ,or a fix who knows . Downtown Vernon is a real treat also with the same crew attempting panhandling and looking for free smokes .,wandering out into traffic and generally cruising looking for the next fix . Whatever happened to vagrancy laws ?
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Vagrancy laws? Do these even exist anymore? They were used decades ago to keep "certain people" out of some communities. "Certain people" usually turned out to be the poor and racial minorities.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Catsumi wrote: Nov 2nd, 2023, 9:46 am Recently I entered Vernon from the Armstrong side and was dismayed to see that the highway into town has now become an open dump site.

There was a shopping cart lying on its side with spilled contents spread out right down to the ditch. Old clothes and litter of every description line the highway. Looking into the bushes one can see tents erected with piles of trash surrounding them.

There were piles of full garbage bags either dumped there, or best scenario, full of retrieved trash waiting for a dump truck.

It was quite a shock to see how degraded our highway into town has become. Community pride is lacking, now fully overcome by some of the irresponsible, devil-may-care, drug snuffling, work resistant people.

This area is habited (or was) with waterfowl visiting Swan Lake and small vertebrates. The pheasants seem to have shunned the area and who can fault them?
Let's give them all the free drugs they want. That will fix the problem.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

bob vernon wrote: Nov 3rd, 2023, 8:46 am Vagrancy laws? Do these even exist anymore? They were used decades ago to keep "certain people" out of some communities. "Certain people" usually turned out to be the poor and racial minorities.
Would you mind if a camp was next door ? How about a “ tiny home community “ Build it and they will come.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

George Orwell 1984 wrote: Nov 3rd, 2023, 3:14 pm
bob vernon wrote: Nov 3rd, 2023, 8:46 am Vagrancy laws? Do these even exist anymore? They were used decades ago to keep "certain people" out of some communities. "Certain people" usually turned out to be the poor and racial minorities.
Would you mind if a camp was next door ? How about a “ tiny home community “ Build it and they will come.
So what is your solution? Write them tickets for vagrancy violations? And expect them to pay? Define vagrancy.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

One of their newest encampments here on #97 between Summerland and Penticton just went up in flames the other day. No fatalities, though. Needless to say, I uncorcked a bottle of wine to that :up:

https://www.summerlandreview.com/local- ... on-6528178
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Vernon fire dept attended at the 8th fire in this area since Spring 2023

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/45 ... -of-Vernon

We’ve also had many fires set at downtown shop entrances during summer, and a loss of a major building here too. The investigation, if there is one, is silent as to the cause. Will we ever know?

After moving here a few years ago, I really did think I’d dodged the ‘transient/homeless” bullet of a larger city, but the sickness of our society has caught up to a once peaceful, pretty, little city in the Okanagan. Poor Vernon.

I guess we’re done for too.

Unknown
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

bob vernon wrote: Nov 3rd, 2023, 4:52 pm
George Orwell 1984 wrote: Nov 3rd, 2023, 3:14 pm

So what is your solution? Write them tickets for vagrancy violations? And expect them to pay? Define vagrancy.
My solution - stop government handouts of drugs , stop providing shooting galleries , a handup not a handout - with recovery conditions. Here is your accommodation with regulations AND TREATMENT . Government provided free clean drugs are sold on the street why can’t the bleeding hearts see that or is it that they refuse to believe it. How about doing away with catch and release so criminal thugs aren’t back doing B&E the same day they are arrested. The status quo is destroying our neighborhoods, towns and country .
Dunny Diver
Fledgling

Post by Dunny Diver »

The govt should offer the maid program like they do with our veterans and seniors they don’t want to help anymore.

Return to “North Okanagan”