HWY 33 Fire - Heartland ranch

Fire-related topics
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: HWY 33 Fire - Heartland ranch

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bretbaby wrote:I'm not sure why people are so quick to dismiss these fires and the cause being a cigarette. Seriously, I'm asking - are you smokers that are quick to say it wasn't a smoker? I just don't get why people think it's a broken bottle or spark from a car instead of a cigarette when it's right beside the road?

I get it, don't jump to conclusions without getting the facts because you never know, but when I hear of a fire that has started right beside a road, my first thought is a cigarette. Why? Because people throw them out ALL THE TIME.

Exactly, and those quick to dismiss the cause as being a cigarette, even when indicators are staring them in the face, are more than likely smokers and simply in denial that one of their own could be such an azzhat.

It sure wouldn't take much investigative ability to determine whether or not it was a "piece of glass" or a "bottle" given that it would still be laying where the fire began on the side of the road, so were that the case I'm sure news stories would be saying as much.

I've seen cigarettes tossed from windows far too many times, and the most puzzling part being that when I do it's generally someone driving a $100,000 car, the type one would expect should know a lot better, but apparently not.

I'm to the point where I think stocks should be brought back for such imbeciles, so they can be shamed in a public square.

It probably wouldn't make them any smarter though.
Last edited by LoneWolf_53 on Jul 4th, 2015, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

Swoop wrote:http://www.cordemergency.ca/CM/Page4065.aspx

My thanks to you and madadam for the quick response. Much more helpful than what most mediums report.
j
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

<<"Bretbaby" wrote>>]I'm not sure why people are so quick to dismiss these fires and the cause being a cigarette. Seriously, I'm asking - are you smokers that are quick to say it wasn't a smoker? I just don't get why people think it's a broken bottle or spark from a car instead of a cigarette when it's right beside the road?<<end Bretbaby>>

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I get it, don't jump to conclusions without getting the facts ....... ((assumptions removed for brevity))
I've seen cigarettes tossed from windows far too many times, and the most puzzling part being that when I do it's generally someone ........
I'm to the point where I think stocks should be brought back for such imbeciles, so they can be shamed in a public square.

Solution: Dash-cam + YouTube
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I am a non-smoker and really hate everything about this filthy habit people have picked up. I don't think it is necessary name call and have a lynch mob mentality towards those that do. From what I have witnessed about the people with this habit is that they are not all that aware of what they are doing. I remember my mom telling me that it is such a habit that a cigarette can be pulled out and lit without any real thought towards it. And here in is where the problem lies. If a smoker is flicking butts out the window in the dead of winter I don't think there is much chance of them changing that habit during a scorching summer.

I'm not sure what the solution is, these are just my observations.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I don't care what the cause was right now. I just want it put out.

"I hope the cause is something I hate so it further strengthens my position." Post that tangential fluff elsewhere, preferably its own thread, please.
Last edited by Woodenhead on Jul 4th, 2015, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Politics without principle. Your bias suits you.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Jim Dixon wrote:Solution: Dash-cam + YouTube

Indeed and I have been perusing the dash cam offerings.

They appear to be a good investment for a number of reasons.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

Woodenhead wrote:I don't care what the cause was right now. I just want it put out.

"I hope the cause is something I hate so it further strengthens my position." Post that tangential fluff elsewhere, preferably its own thread, please.

10/10........Well said indeed!!! *thumbs up*
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

They're making quick work of it, containment is at 50%.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Good recent pic on the BC wildfire site;

http://bcwildfire.ca/ftp/!Project/Wildf ... 282%29.jpg
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

As I said, I strongly suspect it was a smoker that started it, but my point was that until an official statement about the cause is made, it's not news, it's hearsay.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Thanks a lot for that pic, Joe Public! That pic says a lot.
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Politics without principle. Your bias suits you.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

This is supposed to show the map of the areas affected, however, it does not work. No pics and no maps are shown--www.cordemergency.ca. Or is it just me??? I even put it into the address bar and it still didn't work.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Could be your browser / settings... Here, is this it? :

damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Thank you. I found that through the maps tag at the top, but, the link they state in their info articles, www.cordemergency.ca does not have any addresses affected.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

The planes have been gone for a while now. Totally quiet here. I can only see the very occasional wisp of light white smoke.

Considering I don't have a clear view and if someone forced me to guess, I'd say this is in the mop up stage now.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”