HWY 33 Fire - Heartland ranch

Fire-related topics

Re: HWY 33 Fire - Heartland ranch

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Jul 4th, 2015, 1:29 pm

Bretbaby wrote:I'm not sure why people are so quick to dismiss these fires and the cause being a cigarette. Seriously, I'm asking - are you smokers that are quick to say it wasn't a smoker? I just don't get why people think it's a broken bottle or spark from a car instead of a cigarette when it's right beside the road?

I get it, don't jump to conclusions without getting the facts because you never know, but when I hear of a fire that has started right beside a road, my first thought is a cigarette. Why? Because people throw them out ALL THE TIME.

Exactly, and those quick to dismiss the cause as being a cigarette, even when indicators are staring them in the face, are more than likely smokers and simply in denial that one of their own could be such an azzhat.

It sure wouldn't take much investigative ability to determine whether or not it was a "piece of glass" or a "bottle" given that it would still be laying where the fire began on the side of the road, so were that the case I'm sure news stories would be saying as much.

I've seen cigarettes tossed from windows far too many times, and the most puzzling part being that when I do it's generally someone driving a $100,000 car, the type one would expect should know a lot better, but apparently not.

I'm to the point where I think stocks should be brought back for such imbeciles, so they can be shamed in a public square.

It probably wouldn't make them any smarter though.
Last edited by LoneWolf_53 on Jul 4th, 2015, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

daria likes this post.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2658 posts

Postby Jim Dixon » Jul 4th, 2015, 1:32 pm

Swoop wrote:http://www.cordemergency.ca/CM/Page4065.aspx

My thanks to you and madadam for the quick response. Much more helpful than what most mediums report.
j
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context and used against you in a Court of Social Media.

Swoop likes this post.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 103 posts

Postby Jim Dixon » Jul 4th, 2015, 1:45 pm

<<"Bretbaby" wrote>>]I'm not sure why people are so quick to dismiss these fires and the cause being a cigarette. Seriously, I'm asking - are you smokers that are quick to say it wasn't a smoker? I just don't get why people think it's a broken bottle or spark from a car instead of a cigarette when it's right beside the road?<<end Bretbaby>>

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I get it, don't jump to conclusions without getting the facts ....... ((assumptions removed for brevity))
I've seen cigarettes tossed from windows far too many times, and the most puzzling part being that when I do it's generally someone ........
I'm to the point where I think stocks should be brought back for such imbeciles, so they can be shamed in a public square.

Solution: Dash-cam + YouTube
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context and used against you in a Court of Social Media.

2 people like this post.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 103 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Jul 4th, 2015, 1:49 pm

I am a non-smoker and really hate everything about this filthy habit people have picked up. I don't think it is necessary name call and have a lynch mob mentality towards those that do. From what I have witnessed about the people with this habit is that they are not all that aware of what they are doing. I remember my mom telling me that it is such a habit that a cigarette can be pulled out and lit without any real thought towards it. And here in is where the problem lies. If a smoker is flicking butts out the window in the dead of winter I don't think there is much chance of them changing that habit during a scorching summer.

I'm not sure what the solution is, these are just my observations.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3668 posts

Postby Woodenhead » Jul 4th, 2015, 1:50 pm

I don't care what the cause was right now. I just want it put out.

"I hope the cause is something I hate so it further strengthens my position." Post that tangential fluff elsewhere, preferably its own thread, please.
Last edited by Woodenhead on Jul 4th, 2015, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Politics without principle. Your bias suits you.

8 people like this post.
Woodenhead
Guru

Liked in: 968 posts

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Jul 4th, 2015, 1:51 pm

Jim Dixon wrote:Solution: Dash-cam + YouTube

Indeed and I have been perusing the dash cam offerings.

They appear to be a good investment for a number of reasons.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2658 posts

Postby Star Light » Jul 4th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Woodenhead wrote:I don't care what the cause was right now. I just want it put out.

"I hope the cause is something I hate so it further strengthens my position." Post that tangential fluff elsewhere, preferably its own thread, please.

10/10........Well said indeed!!! *thumbs up*
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow

GordonH likes this post.
Star Light
Guru

Liked in: 78 posts

Postby Frisk » Jul 4th, 2015, 3:14 pm

They're making quick work of it, containment is at 50%.

Bretbaby likes this post.
Frisk
Guru

Liked in: 3196 posts

Postby Joe Public » Jul 4th, 2015, 3:22 pm

Good recent pic on the BC wildfire site;

http://bcwildfire.ca/ftp/!Project/Wildf ... 282%29.jpg

2 people like this post.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 385 posts

Postby Catri » Jul 4th, 2015, 3:28 pm

As I said, I strongly suspect it was a smoker that started it, but my point was that until an official statement about the cause is made, it's not news, it's hearsay.
Catri
Übergod

Liked in: 1360 posts

Postby Woodenhead » Jul 4th, 2015, 3:35 pm

Thanks a lot for that pic, Joe Public! That pic says a lot.
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Politics without principle. Your bias suits you.
Woodenhead
Guru

Postby damama55 » Jul 4th, 2015, 3:36 pm

This is supposed to show the map of the areas affected, however, it does not work. No pics and no maps are shown--www.cordemergency.ca. Or is it just me??? I even put it into the address bar and it still didn't work.
Stay safe and watch out for the other guy.
damama55
Übergod

Liked in: 664 posts

Postby Woodenhead » Jul 4th, 2015, 3:38 pm

Could be your browser / settings... Here, is this it? :

Woodenhead
Guru

Postby damama55 » Jul 4th, 2015, 3:44 pm

Thank you. I found that through the maps tag at the top, but, the link they state in their info articles, www.cordemergency.ca does not have any addresses affected.
Stay safe and watch out for the other guy.
damama55
Übergod

Liked in: 664 posts

Postby Woodenhead » Jul 4th, 2015, 3:53 pm

The planes have been gone for a while now. Totally quiet here. I can only see the very occasional wisp of light white smoke.

Considering I don't have a clear view and if someone forced me to guess, I'd say this is in the mop up stage now.
Woodenhead
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Fire Watch 2015