HWY 33 Fire - Heartland ranch

Fire-related topics

Re: HWY 33 Fire - Heartland ranch

Postby Woodenhead » Jul 4th, 2015, 10:56 am

Thanks SL. No worries - I've got mutliple evac routes which don't even involve getting back to Hwy. 33.
···
I upped a few pics. You folks will have to view them on photobucket, as I don't have the time nor inclination to resize them for posting directly here right now. (why doesn't cnet auto-resize posted pix, anyway? Archaic format)

I was actually out hiking when the fire started. I had no idea until I was about halfway to James Lake and noticed a sharp uptick in plane and helicopter traffic. So I turned around and hucked it back. An hour or so later, I was finally able to see the smoke. (I could see it earlier, but from my vantage point in the trees/a ravine, it looked like a cloud; I could only see the very top bit of the plume.)

The first 3 pix are from where it first came into my view. And my home looked to be between me and somewhere close to the fire. Wasn't a good feeling.
Next pic was from our deck, at late dusk. Last 2 are from a half hour or so ago.

Link to slideshow: http://s151.photobucket.com/user/WoodenhHead/slideshow/Joe%20Rich%20Fire%20July%203%202015
Last edited by Woodenhead on Jul 4th, 2015, 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Politics without principle. Your bias suits you.

Star Light likes this post.
Woodenhead
Guru

Liked in: 968 posts

Postby Woodenhead » Jul 4th, 2015, 10:59 am

member wrote:We did the same thing last night. We just spoke with an rcmp member this morning who was giving us grief for checking on our neighbors place (they are out of town).

Good stuff!

Yeah, as much as it's a good thing having the cops doing road blocks and having them in the area, it really does fall well short when there's nobody doing any real, meaningful patrols. Good on you for looking out for your neighbours. I'll have to throw you a beer for that sometime. ;)
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Politics without principle. Your bias suits you.

Star Light likes this post.
Woodenhead
Guru

Postby Star Light » Jul 4th, 2015, 11:14 am

Woodenhead wrote:Thanks SL. No worries - I've got mutliple evac routes which don't even involve getting back to Hwy. 33.
···
I upped a few pics. You folks will have to view them on photobucket, as I don't have the time nor inclination to resize them for posting directly here right now. (why doesn't cnet auto-resize posted pix, anyway? Archaic format)

I was actually out hiking when the fire started. I had no idea until I was about halfway to James Lake and noticed a sharp uptick in plane and helicopter traffic. So I turned around and hucked it back. An hour or so later, I was finally able to see the smoke. (I could see it earlier, but from my vantage in the trees it looked like a cloud; I could only see the very top bit of the plume.)

The first 3 pix are from where it first came into my view. And my home was between me and the fire. Wasn't a good feeling.
Next pic was from our deck, at late dusk. Last 2 are from a half hour or so ago.

Link to slideshow: http://s151.photobucket.com/user/WoodenhHead/slideshow/Joe%20Rich%20Fire%20July%203%202015

You're welcome & ta for the photo's. Great to know You've multiple evacuation routes. You & Yours stay safe.
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
Star Light
Guru

Liked in: 78 posts

Postby Barney Google » Jul 4th, 2015, 11:17 am

Winds are starting to pick up pretty good around the JR Fire and Community Hall...what are you seeing where you are Woodenhead? Anyone else up here got a bead on anything new?

Speaking of looters...last night between midnight and 2:30 am there were a few non-neighbour hood black trucks driving slowly around the area up here...when we tried to get a closer to see if they needed help, but also to check them out, they moved on. Too far away to get numbers or ID properly.

Thanks for the updates and photos Woodenhead...we can't see anything from this end of Joe Rich!!!!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3282 posts

Postby Woodenhead » Jul 4th, 2015, 11:20 am

The planes are back now. I barely see any smoke at all. But the wind is blowing away from me (yes, it's gotten kinda windy) and there is a ridgeline between me and the fire.

3 planes hitting it right now. Looks like this fire may be in its death throes. Hopefully!
Last edited by Woodenhead on Jul 4th, 2015, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodenhead
Guru

Postby Frisk » Jul 4th, 2015, 11:23 am

There's 60 firefighters and 2 helicopters working the fire, along with numerous winged aircraft on standby. I highly doubt the fire will do anything today, even if the winds pick up.

Barney Google likes this post.
Frisk
Guru

Liked in: 3253 posts

Postby Woodenhead » Jul 4th, 2015, 11:34 am

Posting the latest CORD update / email that I just got:

Joe Rich Grass Fire NR9

07/04/2015 11:30 AM PDT

The Emergency Operation Centre advises that in conjunction with the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, Highway 33 is open once again to single-lane alternating traffic through the Joe Rich Grassfire fire zone.

Motorists are advised that the speed limit through this area is reduced and they should watch for and yield to any emergency vehicles. Current highway information can be viewed at the DriveBC website, www.drivebc.ca.

RCMP and traffic control have road blocks in place at Goudie Road and Cardinal Creek Road to prevent access into the area which remains under Evacuation Order, affecting approximately 142 properties. Local traffic only is being allowed into properties within the areas on Evacuation Alert along Cardinal Creek and Sun Valley Roads.

All Evacuation Orders and Alerts remain in effect. A detailed map with the latest Evacuation Order and Alert areas showing affected roads and addresses can be viewed online at http://www.cordemergency.ca.

2 people like this post.
Woodenhead
Guru

Postby Woodenhead » Jul 4th, 2015, 11:46 am

I was just told that there is a darker plume of smoke at the fire. I can't confirm as I can't see any smoke at all now, from my vantage point. I suppose the strong winds are pushing everything away from me - so take the above bit about the dark smoke with a few grains of salt, at minimum.

Stoopid wind. I can't even tell which specific direction it's blowing, as it's currently just swirling around in the small clearing around our home right now. Tends to happen when the wind is from any general westerly direction, or the north.

[EDIT]

CORD:

The Emergency Operation Centre advises MEDIA are invited to attend a briefing at 1:00 pm today located at the west end of Falcon Ridge Crescent, off Highway 33.
Woodenhead
Guru

Postby Frisk » Jul 4th, 2015, 11:52 am

Woodenhead wrote:I was just told that there is a darker plume of smoke at the fire.

Flare ups like that are very common, the aircraft will knock it down quickly.
Frisk
Guru

Postby member » Jul 4th, 2015, 12:06 pm

Yes black smoke from my view. Air support is going hard at it.

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Frisk » Jul 4th, 2015, 12:28 pm

The 80 hectare fire burning in the Joe Rich area today has led to the evacuation of 141 properties in the area and over 150 properties are currently on alert.

John Fergus, a resident of the area, said the fire was started by a cigarette.

“My son-in-law … Matt, is the second one at the fire," Fergus said. "He thought, ‘well I better stop and have a look.’

Fergus said there was a small area on fire, that started burning off in two separate directions quickly.

“So here’s the cigarette, it took off and he said he didn’t know which 30 feet to try to put out and while he was thinking of it, it’s too late, the trees started to candle. So that’s how fast it was.”

BC Wildfire Service said the cause of the fire is still officially under investigation.

Fergus said this isn't the first time he’s dealt with wildfire issues.

“I’ve already been the victim of a fire to the tune of $30,000 because of a discarded cigarette.”

Evacuees are being helped by volunteers at the Emergency Social Services registration centre at the Willow Park Church on Highway 33 in Rutland. People who have been evacuated are encouraged to register at the church, so the ESS and emergency personnel know everyone is safe.

Catherine Wilson, director of ESS for the Okanagan, said they have had 40 families, or 180 people, register so far.

The ESS provides evacuees with vouchers for lodging, clothing, food and other necessities. Wilson said they are encouraging people to find lodging with family and friends if possible, because they are running out of lodging.

“Without UBCO we would have been going to group lodging, with people on cots in a gymnasium,” she said.

Wilson said they have no idea how long the evacuation will remain in place, but “as long as people are out of their homes, we’ll be here.”

“Know how appreciative all of us families are that live up there, how much we appreciate how hard these firefighters work,” Fergus said. “You have to remember that the majority of them up there are volunteers.”
Frisk
Guru

Postby Woodenhead » Jul 4th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Woodenhead wrote:I was just told that there is a darker plume of smoke at the fire.

Quailize wrote:Flare ups like that are very common, the aircraft will knock it down quickly.

I know. I only posted that because of what I said earlier:

Woodenhead wrote:I barely see any smoke at all. [...] Looks like this fire may be in its death throes. Hopefully!

I don't want to spread any kind of misinformation. At all.

I may be here inside the evac order zone, but that doesn't mean I can see or know exactly everything that's going on. I will try my best to be accurate and add any caveats to any posts I make. No need to needlessly worry or unintentionally mislead the folks who are no doubt reading this for any info.

Swoop likes this post.
Woodenhead
Guru

Postby Catri » Jul 4th, 2015, 1:09 pm

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#143474

So some guy thinks it was caused by a cigarette. I'm not saying it wasn't, seems to me there's a very good chance it was, but shouldn't "news" outlets wait for official word rather than posting speculation as a story? Putting a question mark at the end of the headline will not stop some people from thinking it's the truth just because they read it on the internet. It makes it hard for me to take Castanet seriously as a news source when they post stuff like this.

canuck500 likes this post.
Catri
Übergod

Liked in: 1416 posts

Postby Woodenhead » Jul 4th, 2015, 1:19 pm

But... but... this way they get more clicks!
Woodenhead
Guru

Postby Bretbaby » Jul 4th, 2015, 1:21 pm

He thinks because he wasn't there, his son-in-law was. It sounds like his SIL saw the cigarette, but was more concerned about trying to get the fire out. Maybe next time he will take a photo of the cigarette first before trying to douse the flames.

I'm not sure why people are so quick to dismiss these fires and the cause being a cigarette. Seriously, I'm asking - are you smokers that are quick to say it wasn't a smoker? I just don't get why people think it's a broken bottle or spark from a car instead of a cigarette when it's right beside the road?

I get it, don't jump to conclusions without getting the facts because you never know, but when I hear of a fire that has started right beside a road, my first thought is a cigarette. Why? Because people throw them out ALL THE TIME.

TreeGuy likes this post.
Bretbaby
Übergod

Liked in: 34 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Fire Watch 2015