Another Cigarette?

Fire-related topics

Should another tax be levied on cigarettes (and related products) to combat fires?

Yes
51%
No
42%
I don't care
7%

Total votes : 81

Re: Throwing live butts out the car window...

Postby vinnied » Jul 5th, 2015, 10:20 am

^^Nah.. thats just how they they smell
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1726 posts

Re: Another Cigarette?

Postby the truth » Jul 5th, 2015, 10:22 am

smokers the world is there ashtray-I have seen it hundreds of times in my years of driving, smokers flicking there cig butts out there car windows-who has not ? case closed
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Gixxer likes this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9842 posts

Postby dieseluphammerdown » Jul 5th, 2015, 10:26 am

the truth wrote:smokers the world is there ashtray-I have seen it hundreds of times in my years of driving, smokers flicking there cig butts out there car windows-who has not ? case closed
LOL, so all do it right?
All non smokers are closed minded , and will find a way to blame every little thing on those dam smokers , case closed.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Liked in: 3116 posts

Postby Gixxer » Jul 5th, 2015, 10:33 am

dieseluphammerdown wrote:Fact is numerous forest fires have been started by brain dead campers leaving campfires un attended, so maybe all camping supplies should be taxed heavier to pay for the cost of fighting forest fires.
Makes about as much sense as taxing all smokers more because of the actions of a few.

Really? Thats some denial and flawed logic. Most campers that enjoy the forest are responsible and respect it. They make sure to extinguish fires before leaving. Also theres a province wide camp fire ban that prevents campers from having fires during a dry spell. However this will not stop the actions of a ignorant brain dead smoker from throwing their butts out the window.
Last edited by Gixxer on Jul 5th, 2015, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poindexter likes this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1979 posts

Postby Donald G » Jul 5th, 2015, 10:34 am

There are irresponsible people in all facets of life. Another case of the strong paying for the weak ??
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4225 posts

Postby the truth » Jul 5th, 2015, 10:40 am

well dieseluphammerdown-its not the non smokers doing it, so yes its the smokers fault
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9842 posts

Postby dieseluphammerdown » Jul 5th, 2015, 10:43 am

Gixxer wrote:
Really? Thats some denial and flawed logic. Most campers that enjoy the forest are responsible and respect it. They make sure to extinguish fires before leaving. Also theres a province wide camp fire ban that prevents campers from having fires during a dry spell. However this will not stop the actions of a ignorant brain dead smoker from throwing their butts out the window.
LOL, and you can't see the flaw in your logic by lumping all smokers into the same category?
Are you really naïve enough to believe all campers will honor the campfire ban.?
So a ban will not stop the ignorant brain dead campers from having a camp fire.
So to use the perspective of you self righteous non smokers all campers are brain dead and ignorant.

2 people like this post.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Postby dieseluphammerdown » Jul 5th, 2015, 10:44 am

the truth wrote:well dieseluphammerdown-its not the non smokers doing it, so yes its the smokers fault
LOL, more ignorance from the righteous non smoker side.

2 people like this post.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Postby FreeRights » Jul 5th, 2015, 10:46 am

Gixxer wrote:Really? Thats some denial and flawed logic. Most campers that enjoy the forest are responsible and respect it. They make sure to extinguish fires before leaving. Also theres a province wide camp fire ban that prevents campers from having fires during a dry spell. However this will not stop the actions of a ignorant brain dead smoker from throwing their butts out the window.

I think it's flawed logic, on your part, to incorrectly state that all campers are responsible and good while all smokers are not.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

4 people like this post.
FreeRights
Guru

Liked in: 2031 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Jul 5th, 2015, 10:54 am

dieseluphammerdown wrote:So lets up insurance rates on vehicles because people who start forest fires while camping drove their , so all drivers must pay for the few bad apples.! (you cannot deny people that drive to camping stops start forest fires.}

Hell lets just tax everything more because tax more is the answer to everything.

Insurance rates on vehicles do climb because of poor drivers. As for camping, their rates have climbed lately, as has alcohol. Everything is taxed, in one form or another and the reason being is that tax pays for our infrastructure and for services like firefighting. While I personally think too much is spent on government itself, this is how society functions. I believe it makes sense to tax areas that are the cause of high costs. We end up paying for it anyway, through other forms of tax; so my reasoning is we just shift the burden to those who are more likely to cause it.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5437 posts

Re: Throwing live butts out the car window...

Postby BoB76 » Jul 5th, 2015, 11:01 am

Walk around any parking lot and you'll see how respectful smokers are. These poisons make their way into our streams and lakes.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!

the truth
daria
likes this post.
BoB76
Guru

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby dieseluphammerdown » Jul 5th, 2015, 11:01 am

Lady tehMa wrote:
Insurance rates on vehicles do climb because of poor drivers. As for camping, their rates have climbed lately, as has alcohol. Everything is taxed, in one form or another and the reason being is that tax pays for our infrastructure and for services like firefighting. While I personally think too much is spent on government itself, this is how society functions. I believe it makes sense to tax areas that are the cause of high costs. We end up paying for it anyway, through other forms of tax; so my reasoning is we just shift the burden to those who are more likely to cause it.
so because I smoke I'm more likely to cause a forest fire than others? Again grouping all smokers into the same category is flawed and offensive.!
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Jul 5th, 2015, 11:02 am

oneh2obabe wrote:Why not wait until the cause is officially determined before jumping down each others throats?

Huckleberry (K50261)
Last updated: Saturday, July 04, 2015 at 8:44 PM
Location: Huckleberry Road, north of Highway 33 near Joe Rich

Cause: Under Investigation
Two fire investigators are on site to determine fire cause.

http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/Wildfir ... asp?ID=539

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/14 ... d-the-fire

Just because the fire inspectors haven't corroborated the story yet doesn't mean the cause is unknown.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

daria likes this post.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2658 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Jul 5th, 2015, 11:03 am

dieseluphammerdown wrote:so because I smoke I'm more likely to cause a forest fire than others? Again grouping all smokers into the same category is flawed and offensive.!

Yet that is exactly how our vehicle insurance works; more accidents = higher insurance for everyone. Is that discrimination because it only affects people who drive?
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

2 people like this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5437 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jul 5th, 2015, 11:05 am

All you can do is ALWAYS report people who toss their butts. The more people get reported, the more paranoia these people will suffer from and change their behaviour. Also there needs to be some ad campaign or something Billboards etc.that points the obvious to tourists

No tax hikes will fix this, I never smoked

dieseluphammerdown likes this post.
jimmy4321
Guru

Liked in: 2904 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Fire Watch 2015