Another Cigarette?

Fire-related topics

Should another tax be levied on cigarettes (and related products) to combat fires?

Yes
51%
No
42%
I don't care
7%

Total votes : 81

Re: Another Cigarette?

Postby dieseluphammerdown » Jul 5th, 2015, 11:10 am

Lady tehMa wrote:
Yet that is exactly how our vehicle insurance works; more accidents = higher insurance for everyone. Is that discrimination because it only affects people who drive?
Not true , I pay far less for insurance with all my years of safe driving than those involved in an at fault accident or those who accumulate multiple points for speeding and other driving infractions.
But you want to lump all smokers together, which is again flawed and offensive.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Liked in: 3116 posts

Postby the truth » Jul 5th, 2015, 11:11 am

billboards will not fix a lack of commonesence
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9864 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Jul 5th, 2015, 11:13 am

dieseluphammerdown wrote:
Not true , I pay far less for insurance with all my years of safe driving than those involved in an at fault accident or those who accumulate multiple points for speeding and other driving infractions.
But you want to lump all smokers together, which is again flawed and offensive.[/quote]

I too get discounts. Yet each year the amount I pay rises, due to poor drivers causing accidents. Those that have been identified as being poor drivers will get no discount. Do you have a way to identify those who discard cigarettes irresponsibly? If you do, perhaps the discount system could also apply.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5440 posts

Postby vinnied » Jul 5th, 2015, 11:13 am

How sad... A fire starts and someone immediately blames a cigarette ? Easy to see who the NON smoker is.

I say it was caused from broken glass and not a cigarette,

And anyone who doesn't know how that can happen never tried burning paper with a magnifying glass in grade school.

One of the first people on the scene of the fire witnessed the discarded cigarette where the fire was just starting

“So here’s the cigarette, it took off, and he said he didn’t know which 30 feet to try to put out, and while he was thinking of it, it’s too late, the trees started to candle. So that’s how fast it was.”
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1727 posts

Postby Gixxer » Jul 5th, 2015, 11:16 am

FreeRights wrote:I think it's flawed logic, on your part, to incorrectly state that all campers are responsible and good while all smokers are not.

I did not state "all" campers. Nice try at deflecting and trying to twist my words into something I didn't say.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1979 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jul 5th, 2015, 11:17 am

the truth wrote:billboards will not fix a lack of commonesence

Very TRUE but NOBODY wants to be responsible for burning the province down.
I think throwing your butts is a thoughtless habit and if you can bring to their attention the possible consequences most all would do the responsible thing.
Also throwing your butts outdoors is littering and maybe the behaviour needs to be attacked from that angle and not just dry season-you won't successfully break a habit two months of the year.
jimmy4321
Guru

Liked in: 2910 posts

Postby dieseluphammerdown » Jul 5th, 2015, 11:23 am

Gixxer wrote:

I did not state "all" campers. Nice try at deflecting and trying to twist my words into something I didn't say.
Really ?

Also theres a province wide camp fire ban that prevents campers from having fires during a dry spell. [/b]
Nice try though at back peddling!! This quote of yours implies that NOcamper will have a camp fire because of the bans.

2 people like this post.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Postby MAPearce » Jul 5th, 2015, 11:28 am

Back in 03 when Kelowna was on fire a friend and I decided to hit Dee lake for an afternoon away from the *bleep* and destruction of Kelowna. Not even before we hit gravel on Beaver Lake rd. we came across a grass fire on the side of the road that was spreading very fast into the trees.. My buddy got on the phone and I got out and started to stomp the thing out..

After some effort , mostly trying to get the Winfield department to attend we got the fire out and most likely save the neighbourhood ..

In the middle of the fire was a microwave oven that some *bleep* had tossed out. Now it wouldn't take an ounce of brains to figure out that the sun shinning on the stainless steel back of the microwave reflected the sun and concentrated it's heat into the grass and ignited that fire... The same thing can happen with a fruit rollup wrapper if conditions are right...Like they are now .

So , go people ... Blame smokers but that Joe Rich fire could have started because some cheese eating , tree hugging , rock banging nature freak drop his granola bar wrapper.. OR perhaps the last time there was an MVA anywhere near there , the tow truck driver didn't see a chunk of broken mirror in the ditch.Or some asshat did some illegal dumping.. That doesn't happen around here , huh... The next place to spark will be Postill I'd bet .

Ever think of that ?... My guess is no.
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

2 people like this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5793 posts

Postby Gixxer » Jul 5th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Are smokers not campers, or have camp fires?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1979 posts

Re: Throwing live butts out the car window...

Postby dogspoiler » Jul 5th, 2015, 12:11 pm

What, if anything happens to the people that are reported ?
He whom turneth the other cheek.
Gets smiteth with the other fist.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3731 posts

Re: Throwing live butts out the car window...

Postby the truth » Jul 5th, 2015, 1:32 pm

nope
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9864 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Jul 5th, 2015, 2:27 pm

Lady tehMa wrote:
Insurance rates on vehicles do climb because of poor drivers.

Yet in other jurisdictions where, shall we say there is some competition, the good drivers aren't penalized for it.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5151 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Jul 5th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Lady tehMa wrote:
Yet another fire - another expensive fire - caused by a cigarette.

Link to the official investigation report please.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5151 posts

Postby Smurf » Jul 5th, 2015, 2:43 pm

Maybe when they out the burning ban on it should include cigarettes. No smoking anywhere outdoors or in a vehicle while the ban is on. It might eliminate some of the problem. I am a camper who loves campfires but I have never once felt bad about the ban because it makes sense. If it saves one disaster it is worth it.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

2 people like this post.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 7240 posts

Postby dieseluphammerdown » Jul 5th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Gixxer wrote:Are smokers not campers, or have camp fires?
Oh I get it now, it's only campers that smoke that would leave a camp fire un attended and cause a forest fire, and a non smoking camper would never ever do something like that.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Fire Watch 2015