Another Cigarette?

Fire-related topics

Should another tax be levied on cigarettes (and related products) to combat fires?

Yes
51%
No
42%
I don't care
7%

Total votes : 81

Re: Another Cigarette?

Postby oneh2obabe » Jul 6th, 2015, 7:37 am

The current 10-year average, taken from 2004 to 2013, is 1,847 fires, 38.5% (or 712) caused by people and 61.5% (or 1135) caused by lightning.

http://bcwildfire.ca/History/average.htm
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 14916 posts

Postby Gixxer » Jul 6th, 2015, 7:38 am

UltraViolet wrote:So that all the non smokers will stop blaming smokers for everything, and most of all, there will be no more human caused Forest fires.

So you admit that smokers cause forest fires.

Here's an idea how about smokers be responsible for their disgusting gross habit and not throw their butts out the window. Why is that so hard for some smokers to understand? Maybe its a lack of oxygen to their brain from all the smoke they inhale.

the truth likes this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1981 posts

Postby dieseluphammerdown » Jul 6th, 2015, 7:40 am

Gixxer wrote:
Why should any more taxpayer money be wasted on a disgusting gross habit, and why should the government waste their time inventing a smokeless cigarette?

You want proof here it is.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/man-respo ... y-1.542859
Well to answer your questions, for me it would be to shut up the whiney, snivelling , self absorbed , mightier than thou non smokers who at every opportunity like to throw darts at us that smoke.

Oh yes and good boy gixxer you found an example well done , now should I go find one of the many articles that state it was a brain dead ignorant camper that started a wild fire because of a un attended camp fire and , then think I;ve proved my point by posting an article?
Oh yea and then lump all campers together because of the actions of the very few un responsible campers.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Liked in: 3116 posts

Postby Gixxer » Jul 6th, 2015, 7:41 am

oneh2obabe wrote:The current 10-year average, taken from 2004 to 2013, is 1,847 fires, 38.5% (or 712) caused by people and 61.5% (or 1135) caused by lightning.

http://bcwildfire.ca/History/average.htm

Of those 38.5% caused by people how many were from ignorant brain dead smokers?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: Throwing live butts out the car window...

Postby Crying-Angel » Jul 6th, 2015, 7:42 am

I am a smoker. It disgusts me when people toss their ash and butts out the window. There is NEVER a reason for that to happen. If I am going to be out for any period of time I take a pop can with water in it. We need to start handing out fines of around $5000 for flinging out a butt.
Sometimes the thoughts in
my head actually get out...

This is rarely a good thing

davis123
dieseluphammerdown
likes this post.
Crying-Angel
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 62 posts

Postby Gixxer » Jul 6th, 2015, 7:43 am

dieseluphammerdown wrote:
now should I go find one of the many articles that state it was a brain dead ignorant camper that started a wild fire because of a un attended camp fire and , then think I;ve proved my point by posting an article?

Sure
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Postby dieseluphammerdown » Jul 6th, 2015, 7:44 am

Gixxer wrote:

So you admit that smokers cause forest fires.

Yes of course a very select few do, I don't think anybody is denying that, it's the lumping together that you have done that I take offense to.!!

Question for you, do non smokers start forest fires by leaving camp fires un attended , or having them during camp fire bans.?
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Postby oneh2obabe » Jul 6th, 2015, 7:45 am

BACK. ON. TOPIC. NOW. The subject is should an additional tax on cigarettes be levied. That means no more potshots or name calling. Got it? Good!
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
oneh2obabe

Postby dieseluphammerdown » Jul 6th, 2015, 7:54 am

Here gixxer just for you

Careful with campfires; open fire ban continues
by Samantha Garvey - Terrace Standard

posted Aug 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

The Northwest Fire Centre is reminding residents to put out their campfires after a human-caused fire in the Terrace area late July.

During a period with high fire danger ratings — starting the last weekend of July and continuing through to August— a campfire that wasn't completely put out lit fire to its surrounding area. It was reported by a hiker before it grew out of control, according to the Northwest Fire Centre, which is responsible for forest-fire protection in this region of B.C.

Since July 14, there have been nine abandoned campfires in the northwest region, three in Terrace, said the centre's information officer Lindsay Carnes.

“We were pretty disappointed to come across abandoned campfires two weeks in a row,” said Carnes. “It's time for people to smarten up.”

Dry fuels caused by drier, hotter temperatures mean a higher risk of fires, said Carnes.

And with sunny and warm conditions expected to continue through the long weekend, provincial Wildfire Management Branch officials have a few tips for campfire vigilance.

“Remember that campfires cannot be larger than a half-metre wide by a half-metre tall,” said a forest ministry press release today. “You must also create a one-metre, debris-free ring around the fire and have a shovel or at least eight litres of water available nearby to extinguish it properly.

“Never leave a campfire unattended. Always ensure that the campfire is completely out and the ashes are cool to the touch before leaving the area,” the release continued.

Human-caused fires make up that largest percentage of forest fires in B.C., with 32 campfires in the province that have grown to wildfires this year.

But they are not the only cause of wildfire.

The last weekend of July, the Northwest Fire Centre brought in extra precautions for a forecast that predicted lightning in already hot and dry conditions.

There ended up being 19 fires in northwestern B.C. caused by lightning, none in the Terrace area.

All of that extra firefighting power was used, including an Electra air tanker, an extra truck, an extra helicopter and two repel teams.

I highlighted the campfire part to make it easier on you gixxer.!!
So to answer your question, no more tax on cigarettes unless all campers are willing to have camping taxes increased to cover the cost of fire fighting cost caused by ignorant brain dead campers.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Postby Relentless » Jul 6th, 2015, 7:59 am

Gixxer wrote:So you admit that smokers cause forest fires.

I heard of one a few years ago near Barierre where the guy who flicked his butt admitted to causing the fire, that's the only one I ever heard of with proof.
Trump 2016-2032 The only Leader who actually supports the people
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 575 posts

Postby Gixxer » Jul 6th, 2015, 8:02 am

Well done dieseluphammerdown, no need to be insulting though. I can read articles just fine, like the ones were ignorant brain dead smokers have started forest fires.

Of those abandoned camp fires how many were smokers?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Postby Gixxer » Jul 6th, 2015, 8:05 am

UltraViolet wrote:I heard of one a few years ago near Barierre where the guy who flicked his butt admitted to causing the fire, that's the only one I ever heard of with proof.

So thats ok?

The cedar hills fire in 2003 between Falkland and Vernon was started by a cigarette butt.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Postby oneh2obabe » Jul 6th, 2015, 8:16 am

What part of cease with the name-calling or taking potshots don't you understand? Stop it NOW!

Lady tehMa likes this post.
oneh2obabe

Postby MAPearce » Jul 6th, 2015, 8:17 am

I guess the Davie Rd. bush fire wasn't just arson but a brain dead smoking arson??

Yeah, tax me for that...
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5892 posts

Postby Gixxer » Jul 6th, 2015, 8:24 am

oneh2obabe wrote:What part of cease with the name-calling or taking potshots don't you understand? Stop it NOW!

Who's name calling or taking pot shots?

dieseluphammerdown likes this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to Fire Watch 2015