Scanner Thread

Fire-related topics

Scanner Thread

Postby tsayta » Jul 21st, 2015, 7:09 pm

I've seen many requests/responses/questions from folks about scanners. Posters asking where others are getting their 'scanner' information. I figured we could lay out some tips as well as what we may know about those pesky things. Here is what I have heard:

-Several years ago there was a website scanbc. Many folks would listen to Kelowna Fire left channel, BC Forestry right channel. As far as I can tell that no longer works. I just get error messages

-As I understand it, there is some confusion as to whether scanners are 'legal'. I have no idea however I can see that having scanners easily accessible could lead to panic with misinterpretation, rebroadcasting, interference etc

If anyone else would like to contribute their 2 cents worth, perhaps it would help with those who have been asking where posters are getting their information
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1964 posts

Re: Scanner Thread

Postby oneh2obabe » Jul 21st, 2015, 7:13 pm

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

tiomio likes this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 13231 posts

Postby Swoop » Jul 21st, 2015, 7:37 pm

...I recall the channels available for police, fire in the central Okanagan were removed and no longer monitorable after policy changes in the RCMP - I think KL3 would be able to offer much more concise info as I recall he mentioned it a while ago...the only Okanagan channel I can find is for North Okanagan fire/search and rescue: http://provoice.scanbc.com:8000/northok.m3u...not wanting to speak for specific posters, but there are some with access to radio channels due to their involvement with those agencies that are generous enough to post updates when they can...
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1234 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Jul 21st, 2015, 8:00 pm

RCMP not monitorable is shown in red noting the ones unavailable online.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 13231 posts

Postby KVRNut » Jul 22nd, 2015, 12:13 pm

You can still monitor Fire, Search & Rescue, Airport(s), Highways, Ambulance, and Forestry frequencies, including their aircraft. You should be able to find the frequencies they use on the Scan BC website. RCMP have been "dark" for quite a while now.
As far as listening on-line is concerned, there has to be a local scanner operator who will hook their scanner up to their computer to allow a live feed.
I don't find scanners to be "pesky" at all, if used responsibly by the operators. I do find them to be a really useful tool and rarely go out without one in my vehicle. They come in mighty handy when I hear First Responders dispatched so I can at least make sure I get out of their way in good time. If there's an accident or incident involving traffic flow, I can take an alternative route. Scanners are great when you can hear of impending evacuations and you can warn your friends that they'll have to get out quick. Weather forecasts and warnings are broadcast 24/7. Frequencies are usually posted at the start of logging roads and I enter them in so I can give those logging vehicles the room they need.
If anything, I've found that listening to a scanner has given me a greater appreciation of our First Responders and the job they do.
KVRNut

Liked in: 26 posts

Postby trapp » Jul 22nd, 2015, 12:51 pm

KVRNut wrote: Frequencies are usually posted at the start of logging roads and I enter them in so I can give those logging vehicles the room they need.

All Road channels in the Okanagan are now changed. No frequency numbers are posted. They are all Resource Road channels now. You will now see a yellow and black sign (approx. 8" x 12") with RR 1, RR 2, and up to RR 35 at the start of every Forest Service Road (FSR) as well there should be a road name. You will need to have a frequency chart to be able to enter it into your radio or scanner. Logging companies can no longer use their frequencies. The only roads I have seen so far without the RR channel # are spur roads which are not presently being used.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
trapp
Übergod

Liked in: 431 posts

Postby logman » Jul 22nd, 2015, 1:19 pm

One of the dumbest moves made in recent history by the province. If of course they care about the safety of industrial workers and Joe Public. Some guy at a desk in Victoria thought it was a good idea to standardize the province. What it did was make things a lot more dangerous for workers and back road users. In the long run I guess it will work out but for now that old 4channel radio you have and use to go fishing or hunting may as we'll go in the trash can. Be careful on the back roads. Your old radio channels are not the same.
logman
Übergod

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby logman » Jul 22nd, 2015, 1:42 pm

I can pass along the frequency #'s for the new RR#'s if someone has a programable radio and wants to play safe on the back roads.
logman
Übergod

Postby trapp » Jul 22nd, 2015, 4:17 pm

Those old radios are not compatible to the new channels however there are some new hand held radios with a lot capacity that will work well for the outdoor recreational users. They are not expensive, less than $150. Just learn from the maps which channels are in the areas you frequent.

Here is the link to the frequencies from Scan BC: http://scanbc.com/wiki/index.php?title= ... d_Channels

Here id the Ministry pdf's where you may find more information and maps. Unfortunately you can not click on the links nor copy them from the pdf's. https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hth/engineeri ... roject.htm
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
trapp
Übergod

Liked in: 431 posts

Postby logman » Jul 22nd, 2015, 4:33 pm

Another kick to the private parts is the radio shops want a radio licence number before they will reprogram the radio. Shop around. Some shops are more laid back than others. Thanks a lot CRTC.
logman
Übergod

Return to Fire Watch 2015