Little White / Gillard fire

Fire-related topics
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: Little White / Gillard fire

Post by Symbonite »

now if we can have the temp dip down to 15 then Ill be happy. oh and rain for at least 2 weeks...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
travis911

Post by travis911 »

Barney Google wrote:
About fifteen minutes ago RCMP cruiser with lights flashing and siren going headed up Hwy 33 towards Big White...

about 10 minutes later a black RCMP unmarked SUV headed up the same way going much faster and now an ambulance is

heading up Hwy 33...

It was a medical call at Big White. Un-related to any accidents or fires
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Aug 30 2015 Up LWFSR (27).JPG
Went up today east of the Little White fire and saw some places still smoking where the fire jumped the ridge.
The main fire was in behind the range in the picture.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Imagine what it's like for these guys. The fire fighters. News story talked about them 'cold trolling' or something. Walking in a straight line through that thicket tangle of bush, tripping through dead falls, feeling with their hands for heat. Absolutely amazing
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

UltraViolet wrote:
Aug 30 2015 Up LWFSR (27).JPG
Went up today east of the Little White fire and saw some places still smoking where the fire jumped the ridge.
The main fire was in behind the range in the picture.

Great pic :)
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

tsayta wrote:Imagine what it's like for these guys. The fire fighters. News story talked about them 'cold trolling' or something. Walking in a straight line through that thicket tangle of bush, tripping through dead falls, feeling with their hands for heat. Absolutely amazing

Absolutely right on, Tsayta...these men and women who are 'boots on the ground' and in the sky fighting these fires and doing the 'mop ups' are just incredible. They are often times living and working in very, very rough conditions and I sure hope they know how much we all appreciate what they are doing for us. I don't think we can thank them enough for being on the front lines and protecting what they can with everything they are worth.

THANKS BC Forest and Wild Fire Fighters...we appreciate you and the job you are doing!!!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

tsayta wrote:Imagine what it's like for these guys. The fire fighters. News story talked about them 'cold trolling' or something. Walking in a straight line through that thicket tangle of bush, tripping through dead falls, feeling with their hands for heat. Absolutely amazing

You make it sound like they don't enjoy what they do. From what I've seen, most firefighters absolutely love their job.

Hats off to them for their fantastic work!
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Gillard Km 14 Fire.jpg
A pic of one of the 3 fires up Gillard.
I am convinced all 3 were started by a firebug!
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Interesting. Would you be able to provide a google earth/maps link drop to there? I'd like to go up Sunday
WW
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Kelowna, ... 879519!1m0

The red circle that says unnamed road is approx Km 15 of Gillard FSR and is where the fire was.

Also, you will need a good vehicle to get up there, it's a rough road, 4x4 preferred!
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Interesting. I'm here right now. I can see what looks like dozens and dozens of fires were lit along side the road. On purpose?
WW
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

There were 3 fires lit beside the road on the same day.
Kilometer 7, a small fire about 40 square feet .
Kilometer 14 of Gillard, which appears to have started on the side of a spur road running parallel to Gillard to the east.
Kilometer 15 of Gillard, on the west side of the road, about 1/4 km x 1/2 km.

The main fire area was still smoldering in places today and blackened trees are starting to fall.

Lots of hunters and people up Gillard FSR today!
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I'm still up here. Interesting to see the cat track fire guards. Those machines can drive through anything
WW
Geode

Post by Geode »

tsayta wrote:Interesting. I'm here right now. I can see what looks like dozens and dozens of fires were lit along side the road. On purpose?

What kind of person would do that? Sounds very juvenile in nature. It would be fair to assume:

2 or more males aged 16-19
Underachiever in school, or school drop out
From a broken family or foster care
Have substance abuse problems

Event recreation: a group of teenage "friends" goes up in a 4x4. They pack along plenty of booze, and drugs. In the remote wilderness, they begin to consume copious amounts of booze, and meth or cocaine. Suddenly, they lose their inhibitions, and start to throw burning things into the forest, as they make their way back into Kelowna. Probably got one hell of a kick out of doing it. The area is always frequented by partiers in the bush.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Probably. I just came back down. I saw people just like that all along the gillard road
WW

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”