Summerland going solar?

Re: Summerland going solar?

Postby rustled » Mar 13th, 2018, 10:01 am

I see. Then I stand by my first analysis: this is an irresponsible waste of the taxpayers' resources.

If it can't be used for infrastructure projects related to the way it was collected (because fixing roads, for example, is not "carbon neutral"), why not use it for something else that IS sensible?

Surely there are some carbon neutral but much-needed medical initiatives which would use this $$ to better advantage.
rustled
Guru
 
Posts: 6239
Likes: 9369 posts
Liked in: 7398 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Re: Summerland going solar?

Postby Glacier » Mar 13th, 2018, 10:05 am

rustled wrote:I see. Then I stand by my first analysis: this is an irresponsible waste of the taxpayers' resources.

Well the way government grants work is that it's not your tax payers paying, but 35 million tax payers across the country, so even though it might be a complete waste of money, Summerland tax payers aren't footing the bill, so they don't really care about that. Neither does the federal government either since they have money to burn on projects like this.
"If you love your own culture, that doesn’t mean that you hate all other cultures - that’s like saying that if you love your wife, you must necessarily hate all other women."
~Stefan Molyneux

rustled likes this post.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 28154
Likes: 3573 posts
Liked in: 10202 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Re: Summerland going solar?

Postby JagXKR » Mar 13th, 2018, 12:06 pm

rustled wrote: why not use it for something else that IS sensible?



Thanks for the chuckle. Government doing something sensible...you crack me up. :biggrin: [icon_lol2.gif] :laugh:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

rustled likes this post.
User avatar
JagXKR
Übergod
 
Posts: 1274
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 1086 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 5:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: Summerland going solar?

Postby one wheel » Mar 13th, 2018, 1:05 pm

I had no idea the gas tax had to be used on a "carbon neutral" project ?
Would a Rainbow Crosswalk be approved ?
one wheel
Fledgling
 
Posts: 194
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 200 posts
Joined: Dec 9th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Re: Summerland going solar?

Postby JagXKR » Mar 14th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Glacier wrote:Because you don't get funding unless it's carbon neutral. I know because I've worked on projects like this. As soon as you say it's carbon neutral, you have Justin Trudeau and Catherine McKenna tripping over each other to give you money.


Gas tax grants do not need to be carbon neutral, federally. Provincially it might. It may help when applying for one though, especially in today's world and with the present provincial government.

http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/gtf-fte-eng.html

Every year, the GTF provides over $2 billion and supports approximately 2,500 projects in communities across Canada. Communities select how best to direct the funds with the flexibility to make strategic investments across the following 18 different project categories:



public transit
wastewater infrastructure
drinking water
solid waste management
community energy systems
local roads and bridges
capacity building
highways
local and regional airports
short-line rail
short-sea shipping
disaster mitigation
broadband and connectivity
brownfield redevelopment
culture
tourism
sport
recreation
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

rustled likes this post.
User avatar
JagXKR
Übergod
 
Posts: 1274
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 1086 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 5:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: Summerland going solar?

Postby twobits » Mar 14th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Glacier wrote:Because you don't get funding unless it's carbon neutral. I know because I've worked on projects like this. As soon as you say it's carbon neutral, you have Justin Trudeau and Catherine McKenna tripping over each other to give you money.


Glacier, a rare error on your part. Gas tax grants are not dependant on carbon neutral use. It's just a political slush fund.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

rustled likes this post.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 6758
Likes: 790 posts
Liked in: 3181 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Summerland going solar?

Postby Glacier » Mar 15th, 2018, 9:29 am

twobits wrote:Glacier, a rare error on your part. Gas tax grants are not dependant on carbon neutral use. It's just a political slush fund.

Correct. I misspoke. You don't need to be carbon neutral, but it sure helps in making the cut!
"If you love your own culture, that doesn’t mean that you hate all other cultures - that’s like saying that if you love your wife, you must necessarily hate all other women."
~Stefan Molyneux

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 28154
Likes: 3573 posts
Liked in: 10202 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Previous

Return to South Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests