Beaten on beach "trying to do the right thing"....

my5cents
Guru

Re: Beaten on beach "trying to do the right thing"....

Post by my5cents »

Other than people posting on social media, there isn't a peep when this type of thing happens on a regular basis. Media,, politician,, crickets. The police don't say anything, I think they've just given up and expect this.

As a society we have to address -
• Concurrent sentences
• Pre-trial custody credit
• Early parole
• Just all around weak sentencing

Politicians use the old trick,,, "We increased the maximum penalty for XYZ crime to 9 zillion dollars. The easily lead think... "oh great a higher penalty". Ah no, folks, nobody is going to ever get the maximum. Now if they increase the M I N I M U M
sentence, now we're talking. The judiciary hate mandatory and minimum sentences because they can't hand out their ridiculously inadequate sentences.

So we just sit back and wait for the next family being interviewed outside a court house, after the killer of their loved one got a pittance of the sentence they should have received, complaining about the trial and the sentence of their loved one's killer.

But when the high point of the bar is sentences for murder with generally parole after 10 years how can lesser crimes be more than a slap on the wrist.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
oldtrucker
Guru

Re: Beaten on beach "trying to do the right thing"....

Post by oldtrucker »

my5cents wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 2:35 pm Other than people posting on social media, there isn't a peep when this type of thing happens on a regular basis. Media,, politician,, crickets. The police don't say anything, I think they've just given up and expect this.

As a society we have to address -
• Concurrent sentences
• Pre-trial custody credit
• Early parole
• Just all around weak sentencing

Politicians use the old trick,,, "We increased the maximum penalty for XYZ crime to 9 zillion dollars. The easily lead think... "oh great a higher penalty". Ah no, folks, nobody is going to ever get the maximum. Now if they increase the M I N I M U M
sentence, now we're talking. The judiciary hate mandatory and minimum sentences because they can't hand out their ridiculously inadequate sentences.

So we just sit back and wait for the next family being interviewed outside a court house, after the killer of their loved one got a pittance of the sentence they should have received, complaining about the trial and the sentence of their loved one's killer.

But when the high point of the bar is sentences for murder with generally parole after 10 years how can lesser crimes be more than a slap on the wrist.
This post pretty much covers why I like the Maverick party policies on defending yourself, family and property.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. You and 917 others hate this post.

Return to “South Okanagan”