And another announcement by the city ...

southy
Lord of the Board

And another announcement by the city ...

Post by southy »

Seems to me this joining of forces between the city and rdos has been in the discussion mode for some time. Let's see where it falls. Looks like a public link to voice your opinion. Interesting.
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... 82-21-.htm
Miss Maggie
Fledgling

Re: And another announcement by the city ...

Post by Miss Maggie »

Interesting that only city residents are being asked for input. Haven’t seen anything yet from RDOS.

I really don’t understand why RDOS is pursuing this amalgamation of administration. There is already animosity between CoP and RDOS on shared and wannabe shared services. They need to stay completely separate, especially keeping in mind how far away from Penticton the RDOS boundary extends. Osoyoos, Princeton etc would be better served by adding satellite offices offering local services.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Miss Maggie wrote: Oct 21st, 2021, 1:06 pm Interesting that only city residents are being asked for input. Haven’t seen anything yet from RDOS.

I really don’t understand why RDOS is pursuing this amalgamation of administration. There is already animosity between CoP and RDOS on shared and wannabe shared services. They need to stay completely separate, especially keeping in mind how far away from Penticton the RDOS boundary extends. Osoyoos, Princeton etc would be better served by adding satellite offices offering local services.
There has been hard feelings between the City and RDOS for years. Last time the RDOS thought about a move, they considered OK Falls I believe due to cheaper Real Estate down there; not a bad idea. Instead they decided to do extensive renovations and stay put. That was only a very few years ago. City Hall also underwent renos. Both of them should be thinking of downsizing and not adding more staff and room requirements for their empires.

The latest consultants report for the City made no mention of any such amalgamation but did state that renovations were suggested.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

pentona wrote: Oct 21st, 2021, 1:44 pm

There has been hard feelings between the City and RDOS for years. Last time the RDOS thought about a move, they considered OK Falls I believe due to cheaper Real Estate down there; not a bad idea. Instead they decided to do extensive renovations and stay put. That was only a very few years ago. City Hall also underwent renos. Both of them should be thinking of downsizing and not adding more staff and room requirements for their empires.

Confucius says "it is always wise to build your home closest to the cow that provides the most milk"
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

Wonder what they think is so broken that they have to have empire building in one building and not two?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Miss Maggie
Fledgling

Post by Miss Maggie »

seewood wrote: Oct 22nd, 2021, 8:22 pm Wonder what they think is so broken that they have to have empire building in one building and not two?
Copied from another news media site, from February 2021. I’m thinking the CoP wants to control costs or reduce duplicate costs.

“Penticton taxpayers may be getting a second opinion on how the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen spends their money.

City council at its Feb. 16 meeting is set to debate a motion that calls on city staff “to review current overhead allocation practices of the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen and report back to council on their impacts to taxpayers.”

The motion, notice of which was served at Tuesday’s meeting by Coun. Frank Regehr, also calls for city staff “to prepare a proposed policy position regarding regional district overhead costs and report back to council by June 2021 for council’s consideration.”

Regehr was reluctant Wednesday to go into too much detail about the issue before council has had a chance to debate the motion, but said the overhead costs in question are the administrative fees the RDOS charges members like the City of Penticton on RDOS projects.

Those fees range based on project size and have increased “exponentially,” according to Regehr, a retired public-sector finance manager who served two years as an RDOS director for Penticton and now sits as an alternate on the 19-member board.

“The administrative costs at the RDOS are a very significant portion of the budget because of how they handle it, so it really comes forward as something that catches your attention,” he said.

Regehr said the effort is one of several he has pursued while on council in the name of fairness for taxpayers. Others include reviews of development cost charges and apportionment of the tax burden between residential and commercial properties.

According to its draft 2021 budget, the RDOS expects to bill members a total of $964,000 in administration fees on capital projects alone. Penticton’s share would be $181,000.

The budget more generally proposes to increase the total RDOS tax requisition by $600,000 to $20.7 million, which would be spread unequally among the seven local governments and nine rural areas that make up the RDOS based on population and services received.

Penticton’s share would be $2.2 million, which would cost the average residential property owner $98.51.”

Return to “South Okanagan”