New City Hall?

wwiiccaa

New City Hall?

Post by wwiiccaa »

housing housing HOUSING is what this city really needs !!! on a grand scale families need affordable and sub housing and have need it for 20+yrs. not a new city hall or a fricken bike lane!!! i guess we need to scream louder for homes for our families that we can afford! maybe stand in front of city hall with a message to the guy they call mayor.cause he obviously not listen to our pleas. or i guess maybe he just cant care. if your actually homeless or addicted there is lots of places for you to live,in fact they build a new wet shelter every chance they get. but if you has a disability or trying to raise a family, you .....you need to struggle with trying to pay such elevate rents, that you cant feed your kids. something needs to change these families deserve to live better lives here in Penticton. NOT EVERYONES RICH YAH KNOW............

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -buildings
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: New City Hall?

Post by southy »

Just remember ... City Hall did their work and received comments from the public .. how can their decision be wrong? (yes you can read sarcasm into my response - not towards you but those in the soon to be old big white building on Main).
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

wwiiccaa wrote: Dec 5th, 2021, 12:23 pm housing housing HOUSING is what this city really needs !!! on a grand scale families need affordable and sub housing and have need it for 20+yrs. not a new city hall or a fricken bike lane!!! i guess we need to scream louder for homes for our families that we can afford! maybe stand in front of city hall with a message to the guy they call mayor.cause he obviously not listen to our pleas. or i guess maybe he just cant care. if your actually homeless or addicted there is lots of places for you to live,in fact they build a new wet shelter every chance they get. but if you has a disability or trying to raise a family, you .....you need to struggle with trying to pay such elevate rents, that you cant feed your kids. something needs to change these families deserve to live better lives here in Penticton. NOT EVERYONES RICH YAH KNOW............

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -buildings
I hear your anguish and frustration, My children and their offspring feel it too. Our children, some of them, quite frankly might to have to wait until the missus and myself are planted before they can pony up enough in downy to not be slaves cheque to cheque for their living accommodations.
I have pointed out a partial and I believe a very easy and sensible reduction in property values. It is a simple supply and demand equation.
Make more land available. It is that simple. And that difficult because a very large portion of the "non real estate owners are the loudest opponents of urban sprawl. It is actually a bit comical that they resist more lands and easing of forced development charges at every plan presented, yet shoot themselves in the foot when the very required supply of housing land comes up at a public meeting......they scream against it.
Then in the next breath......they want "the govt" to supply low cost housing. Duh?

I cruised through some real estate listings in Penticton today and it made me sick. Garbage just barely above crack houses starting at 4 to 500K. Seems one is required to be willing to drive from as far away as Princeton as a daily commute to work in the "Okanagan". As well as requiring two income earners above 45k per yr.
What's effed up with this land restriction for housings??? ALR lands on bedrock with six inches of composted pine needles covering the out cropping's of rock is not suitable for housings?
This is a Green Machine false narrative. They would like you to believe....and feel guilty about......any building that is not already serviced by an electric bus.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

wwiiccaa wrote: Dec 5th, 2021, 12:23 pm housing housing HOUSING is what this city really needs !!! on a grand scale families need affordable and sub housing and have need it for 20+yrs. not a new city hall or a fricken bike lane!!! i guess we need to scream louder for homes for our families that we can afford!
Devils advocate here, Just how does a local government wave a wand about, sprinkle pixi dust and poof, we have "affordable" housing?
Penticton government will not get into the rental racket. Better not anyway. So, the private sector is to build housing for ones with low(er) incomes. From what I have read to date, is to keep costs down is to have habitation densify, and smaller units.
Single detached homes being "affordable" is for the most part a thing of the past unless a family today is earning into the six digits per year. That won't change.
Just what can a local government do then, allow densification ( high rises?) and each unit 500 square feet? Ok, if a developer try's that and there is now push back from existing citizens saying not in my back yard, council gets voted out, and the cycle starts again.
The local government does not build "affordable" housing, the private sector does. The local government can provide zoning to let "affordable" housing happen and provide services for example, but that is about it.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
soupy
Übergod

Post by soupy »

Seewood you nailed it.

Local City is not responsible for the housing, or building housing. That would be a Provincial issue.
And regarding the push back from citizens you are spot on.
Lets build a big housing unit on Green ave (Kampe property). Nope sorry, neighbours don't want it. 200 less homes due to complaints.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

soupy wrote: Dec 6th, 2021, 2:24 pm Seewood you nailed it.

Local City is not responsible for the housing, or building housing. That would be a Provincial issue.
Lets build a big housing unit on Green ave (Kampe property). Nope sorry, neighbours don't want it. 200 less homes due to complaints.
And not everyone wants to live and raise a child or two in a 200 home complex squished onto the footprint of this Kampe property. In Metropolitan areas they call these things "Housing Projects".
They have a stellar record of safety , social cohesiveness, reduced drug use and crime right?
Ask the RCMP where most of their complaint calls come from.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

soupy
Übergod

Post by soupy »

twobits wrote: Dec 6th, 2021, 6:23 pm
soupy wrote: Dec 6th, 2021, 2:24 pm Seewood you nailed it.

And not everyone wants to live and raise a child or two in a 200 home complex squished onto the footprint of this Kampe property. In Metropolitan areas they call these things "Housing Projects".
They have a stellar record of safety , social cohesiveness, reduced drug use and crime right?
Ask the RCMP where most of their complaint calls come from.
Good point. We should just leave it status quo then and veto any future development. Fine by me
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

soupy wrote: Dec 6th, 2021, 2:24 pm Lets build a big housing unit on Green ave (Kampe property). Nope sorry, neighbours don't want it. 200 less homes due to complaints.
soupy wrote: Dec 7th, 2021, 8:50 am Good point. We should just leave it status quo then and veto any future development. Fine by me
Perhaps an issue is the fact there are established single family homes in a neighborhood and the zoning says the same. One purchases being zoned single family homes and truly expects it to remain so.
So, along comes a developer that applies for a rezoning designation for higher density. I think many can see the reason for pushback.
If the city has current zoning for high density areas, Developers, build there, not in a detached home neighborhood, your application will go forward a lot smoother.
The Timmins street application will create another traffic issue where before lone there will be a demand for another light on either end of Moosejaw.
Regardless, Penticton does not have the option to sprawl, like Kelowna, so ones wanting to move here or ones here wanting something " affordable" I believe will always have issues now finding suitable housing, renting or purchasing.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
soupy
Übergod

Post by soupy »

seewood wrote: Dec 7th, 2021, 9:26 am
Perhaps an issue is the fact there are established single family homes in a neighborhood and the zoning says the same. One purchases being zoned single family homes and truly expects it to remain so.
So, along comes a developer that applies for a rezoning designation for higher density. I think many can see the reason for pushback.
If the city has current zoning for high density areas, Developers, build there, not in a detached home neighborhood, your application will go forward a lot smoother.
The Timmins street application will create another traffic issue where before lone there will be a demand for another light on either end of Moosejaw.
Regardless, Penticton does not have the option to sprawl, like Kelowna, so ones wanting to move here or ones here wanting something " affordable" I believe will always have issues now finding suitable housing, renting or purchasing.
Bolded is wishful thinking. Change needs to happen to adapt.
As you said, we don't have the area to sprawl, nor do many cities these days. I am afraid the days of everyone having a home and big yard are few and far between.

There is likely one easy thing we can probably agree on. And that is that everyone has a different opinion on what is considered "affordable" housing.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

soupy wrote: Dec 7th, 2021, 10:00 am
There is likely one easy thing we can probably agree on. And that is that everyone has a different opinion on what is considered "affordable" housing.
That we can agree on except you seemingly just reject the notion of single family dwellings that accommodate children in a family yard scape is somehow draconian. What is affordable to some is not for others. Some went to post secondary education or achieved sought after skills to be able to pay for that single family dwelling. Why would anyone want to deny their right to that kind of housing? Do you want to limit the housing options for the professionals and other highly sought after individuals so they move on to Kelowna where they can still buy a home with a friggen yard?? They can afford it so let them for cripes sake!!
And quite clearly, the way that the single family home/lots become available are very quickly purchased in Penticton....it would seem that there is a significant portion of people that want that type of home rather than a townhouse or 1 meter property setback for a box mirror imaged duplex.
Sorry, but are you just jealous that you have made life choices that limit you to "high density" housing as your only option?
This is Canada, not Hong Kong. We have plenty of land available for the supply of single family lots for the kids to play in rather than a needle infested park. The entire east side of Penticton and the western slopes of PIB Lands have an inventory of potential housing for decades.
Urban sprawl so easily touted as an evil thing to be avoided for carbon footprint has been assassinated by Elon Musk and Tesla.

soupy
Übergod

Post by soupy »

twobits wrote: Dec 7th, 2021, 5:01 pm
soupy wrote: Dec 7th, 2021, 10:00 am
That we can agree on except you seemingly just reject the notion of single family dwellings that accommodate children in a family yard scape is somehow draconian. What is affordable to some is not for others. Some went to post secondary education or achieved sought after skills to be able to pay for that single family dwelling. Why would anyone want to deny their right to that kind of housing? Do you want to limit the housing options for the professionals and other highly sought after individuals so they move on to Kelowna where they can still buy a home with a friggen yard?? They can afford it so let them for cripes sake!!
And quite clearly, the way that the single family home/lots become available are very quickly purchased in Penticton....it would seem that there is a significant portion of people that want that type of home rather than a townhouse or 1 meter property setback for a box mirror imaged duplex.
Sorry, but are you just jealous that you have made life choices that limit you to "high density" housing as your only option?
This is Canada, not Hong Kong. We have plenty of land available for the supply of single family lots for the kids to play in rather than a needle infested park. The entire east side of Penticton and the western slopes of PIB Lands have an inventory of potential housing for decades.
Urban sprawl so easily touted as an evil thing to be avoided for carbon footprint has been assassinated by Elon Musk and Tesla.
Wow. Even for you I am surprised at the assumptions you are making.

I did say that EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION OF WHAT IS CONSIDERED AFFORDABLE. I never said single family dwellings were draconian, just that they seem to be going away faster and faster.
Just look at the small single family dwellings here in town. Over the years many have been torn down and built into front/back duplexes, or rezoned for a 4plex. Its simply supply and demand.
I never said people cannot have a big yard, just that it seems there are fewer homes being built with that in mind.

And wow, to say i am jealous of the life choices I have made that limit me to "high density"? That is absolutely insulting. You have no idea the life choices i have made, nor what i have limited myself to.
Besides, some people would rather a 2 bd condo on the 12th floor overlooking the lake than a 40 year old fix-er-up in the
South end of town. But go ahead, and continue with your assumptions.

I actually moved here because to me, it was very affordable in Penticton.

Never once did i say urban sprawl was evil, just that its getting smaller and smaller.

Return to “South Okanagan”