A New Face to Local Politics?

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: A New Face to Local Politics?

Post by Gone_Fishin »

fluffy wrote: Feb 11th, 2024, 4:30 am
Gone_Fishin wrote: Feb 10th, 2024, 9:11 am NDP "plan" is to throw people in jail for 2 years and fine them $500,000 for saying they like their gas-powered car or that they like their propane barbecue.
Thanks for that GF. However I'm going to dismiss it as a pack of lies until I see some sort of credible substantiation.
This week, the NDP’s Charlie Angus tabled a private member’s bill that arguably ranks as one of the more illiberal pieces of legislation to ever hit the House of Commons order paper. The Fossil Fuel Advertising Act would prescribe jail time for anyone who “promotes” fossil fuels — even if their promotion includes ostensibly true things, such as selling oil is good for the economy.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/satire ... angus-bill
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

A right wing op ed from someone as given to deception and sensationalism as some others around here ? You should know better than that.
"The cleverest ruse of the Devil is to persuade you he does not exist."
- Charles Baudelaire, 1864
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

fluffy wrote: Feb 11th, 2024, 10:53 am A right wing op ed from someone as given to deception and sensationalism as some others around here ? You should know better than that.
I know better than to vote for the evil scumbag NDP. And the National Post is deceptive and sensational? Really dude?

They will never form government, but stupid crap like Angus wanting to jail people that like a can of gasoline makes me think the NDP are just there to collect paycheques and avoid any semblance of responsibility.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Feb 11th, 2024, 8:13 pm... And the National Post is deceptive and sensational? Really dude?
Not the National Post as such, but the author Tristan Hopper displays the same disdain for truth and *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 12th, 2024, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

With the exception of one independent candidate from Summerland, the Penticton/Summerland provincial electoral district is still a blank slate. I haven't even heard rumours. Anyone ?
A Concerned Citizen
Lord of the Board

Post by A Concerned Citizen »

fluffy wrote: Feb 12th, 2024, 7:31 am With the exception of one independent candidate from Summerland, the Penticton/Summerland provincial electoral district is still a blank slate. I haven't even heard rumours. Anyone ?
How can you expect other candidates to be announced? Falcon and Polievre are too bust playing Dressup at Chinese events … rustad is playing the ‘economic reconciliation’ game and political ropey dope with Eby who is trying to ram through legislation to give 50% of decision making over public lands to about 1-2% of BC’s population … they don’t have a platform and are taking people as suckers … the guy from Summerland has been quite clear … get rid of the carbon tax … no UNDRIP … balance the budget …. leave the kids alone and teach ‘em reading writing and ‘rithmetic etc …. Sounds not bad so far …
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm interested to see who is going to pick up the flag locally for the NDP and Conservatives mostly. The polls are putting the NDP as the front-runners by a huge margin provincially, current projections have them taking 80ish seats with 47 needed for a majority. The Conservatives and BCU are running very distant second and third respectively, but there's room for local shake-ups. Mr. Harrington certainly has passion, but I think he's a little too "out-there" to hold much appeal to the typical centrist voters in this riding. As I have said before, Penticton has shown a tendency to vote the person before the party, so who the parties can enlist will be all important.
A Concerned Citizen
Lord of the Board

fluffy wrote: Feb 13th, 2024, 5:37 am I'm interested to see who is going to pick up the flag locally for the NDP and Conservatives mostly. The polls are putting the NDP as the front-runners by a huge margin provincially, current projections have them taking 80ish seats with 47 needed for a majority. The Conservatives and BCU are running very distant second and third respectively, but there's room for local shake-ups. Mr. Harrington certainly has passion, but I think he's a little too "out-there" to hold much appeal to the typical centrist voters in this riding. As I have said before, Penticton has shown a tendency to vote the person before the party, so who the parties can enlist will be all important.
We need a new face and to get rid of the organized crime known as political parties …. Polls mean dick just like dick cannings has done dick and nothing for the riding except send out his stupid calendar that’s as ugly and environmentally wasteful as he is … call your nearest independent candidate and start a real democratic decision making process …
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

What we need is a representative who truly speaks for the majority of local constituents, someone willing to listen and able to act on the what that majority feels is important, not someone simply following a party agenda or his/her own agenda.
A Concerned Citizen
Lord of the Board

An independent candidate is more likely to represent the people they are expected to serve than some bimbo like dick, Ashton etc that just tow the party line …
rustled
Buddha of the Board

Post by rustled »

fluffy wrote: Feb 14th, 2024, 4:54 am What we need is a representative who truly speaks for the majority of local constituents, someone willing to listen and able to act on the what that majority feels is important, not someone simply following a party agenda or his/her own agenda.
"What the majority feels is important" this is why activists manipulate feelings, and it exposes the flaw in our democratic system. Most often the passionate minority with inflamed "feelings" ends up running the show. A passionate majority with inflamed "feelings" running the show is not in our long-term best interests, either.

Yes, the representative should be willing to listen - listen regardless of their own agenda and regardless of their party's agenda. The representative should be able to think critically, and act in our long-term best interests even when doing so isn't "popular" with "feelings".
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote: Feb 14th, 2024, 7:14 am Yes, the representative should be willing to listen - listen regardless of their own agenda and regardless of their party's agenda. The representative should be able to think critically, and act in our long-term best interests even when doing so isn't "popular" with "feelings".
Totally agree, but the ethical cesspool that is Canadian politics is not attracting the kind of people we need. And we have way too many voters harping on "little" issues as if theirs is the only metric in choosing a representative. It makes it hard not to grow cynical about government in general.

Still, the election i still a few months off, and there is still lots of room for candidates to step forward, with none of the major parties having declared a flagbearer yet. Given that the single independent that has come forward is a "special interest" candidate with minimal voter appeal, I'd say it's still a blank slate for Penticton/Summerland.
rustled
Buddha of the Board

Post by rustled »

fluffy wrote: Feb 14th, 2024, 7:27 am
rustled wrote: Feb 14th, 2024, 7:14 am Yes, the representative should be willing to listen - listen regardless of their own agenda and regardless of their party's agenda. The representative should be able to think critically, and act in our long-term best interests even when doing so isn't "popular" with "feelings".
Totally agree, but the ethical cesspool that is Canadian politics is not attracting the kind of people we need. And we have way too many voters harping on "little" issues as if theirs is the only metric in choosing a representative. It makes it hard not to grow cynical about government in general.

Still, the election i still a few months off, and there is still lots of room for candidates to step forward, with none of the major parties having declared a flagbearer yet. Given that the single independent that has come forward is a "special interest" candidate with minimal voter appeal, I'd say it's still a blank slate for Penticton/Summerland.
People are discussing both federal and provincial in this thread. BCU announced yesterday. https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#472039
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 14th, 2024, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote: Feb 14th, 2024, 7:29 amBCU announced yesterday.
I hadn't seen that yet. Some will see her experience in health care administration as an asset.

Return to “South Okanagan”