Challenge Funding Denied

Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: Challenge Funding Denied

Post by Drip_Torch »

On Friday a birdy chirped... I couldn't believe it so, I went down to see for myself.

(I LoL'ed all the way down to Oliver.)

Imagine the conversation that followed the unveiling and installation of the new banners... "There's only one "I" in Penticton", said the Mayor.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

While we're at it, what's with the "33 rd" edition of the Challenge Race?

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/146846/Challenge-Penticton-results

It was not a gold-medal finish, but Penticton triathlete Jeff Symonds said he is happy with his fourth-place finish at the 33rd edition of Valley First Challenge Penticton.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Raiford

Post by Raiford »

Maybe they were trying to combine "Penticton" + "Action".

"Pentiction!"

[That one's for free, Challenge Administrators. You're welcome.]
theseeker
Fledgling

Post by theseeker »

I understand even the little give-away bags had Penticton spelt wrong and the Mayor got one as well. If it was locally done I think the spelling would be correct. Spell-check anyone.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

In order to stop rumors about any LOCAL sign company having made the error, why can't the name of the company that DID make them, be disclosed? Its news.

Shame on Challenge however for not using local people when they are here in town and open for business.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Anonymous123 wrote:While we're at it, what's with the "33 rd" edition of the Challenge Race?

well Challengie Triathion is gonna take credit for races it didn't run and deflect criticism for banners it ordered printed. Bottom line is this its a small error, but it speaks loudly as to the relationship we have with Challenge. its simply disappointing. I've been saying from the beginning, we need to solicit Ironman back. it will cost us short term but long term benefits will prevail.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Ironman Canada at Whistler this year only attracted around 1300 participants. Market saturation IMO has been reached with this sport. It remains to be seen which race/brand will still be around in another five years. Seems we have east, west, northern, southern, Apple, Peach, name your fruit, Investors, every Credit Union, Car brand, and manufacturer of running shoes sponsoring a race every week somewhere. The only thing more prolific are Starbucks locations and that's cuz everyone can do a java every day but can only do a race every 6 to 8 weeks.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I was visiting during Challenge. What a disappointment. The city needs to try and get Ironman back.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Anonymous123 wrote:While we're at it, what's with the "33 rd" edition of the Challenge Race?

I know this is quite after the fact, but the "33rd edition" in the story was courtesy of Darren Handschuh.

I made a comment on his story section, about the mistake. I said something along the lines of "go figure, a Castanet story about a sign with a spelling mistake is your big headline. Yet when you make spelling mistakes in your articles, every single day, it's just a "typo".

Needless to say, that Handschuh goof never approved my post.

Effing hypocrite.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Static wrote:I was visiting during Challenge. What a disappointment. The city needs to try and get Ironman back.

You were visiting? Were you involved in The Challenge? No. Didn't think so. So who cares about your opinion? The Challenge isn't an event, aimed to entertain ex-locals, visiting their parents.

You're comment is disappointing.

You aren't involved and you don't live here. Move on.

As for Madhue...your comments for the last 2 years are getting really tired. I don't see many others on here agreeing with you. Yawn...

Challenge is working out just fine. I see it only getting bigger and better. Just my opinion.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

^^^^ I see! So the Ironman which brought international attention to the area and attracted thousands of people from across the world who brought hundreds of thousands of dollars to the local economy is not wanted by citizens like you. Ask any hotelier in the town and they will say that Challenge is a joke. Good job Onestop. Keep up the good work.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

onestop67 wrote:I know this is quite after the fact, but the "33rd edition" in the story was courtesy of Darren Handschuh.

I made a comment on his story section, about the mistake. I said something along the lines of "go figure, a Castanet story about a sign with a spelling mistake is your big headline. Yet when you make spelling mistakes in your articles, every single day, it's just a "typo".

Needless to say, that Handschuh goof never approved my post.

Effing hypocrite.

He may not have published your comment, but I do see that the original story has been changed to omit the words "33rd".
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

onestop67 wrote:As for Madhue...your comments for the last 2 years are getting really tired. I don't see many others on here agreeing with you. Yawn...

Challenge is working out just fine. I see it only getting bigger and better. Just my opinion.

Read my signature... and maybe set a regular bedtime routine that will help with your sleepiness.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Madhue wrote:Read my signature... and maybe set a regular bedtime routine that will help with your sleepiness.

Okay, I've read your signature. It is a quote from Patton.

All I can perceive from this, is that you are twisting that Patton quote, to justify being a troll.

Your final jab at my bedtime routine, just proves that you are just a child, when confronted with any kind of polite debate against your opinions.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

onestop67 wrote:Okay, I've read your signature. It is a quote from Patton.
General George Patton Jr, I believe I credit him for that, Patton was arguably one of the best strategic minds of his era. Patton surrounded himself with people that their normal stasis of opinion was different than his, it was his for of checking and balancing things. Rather than swallowing the dogma of popular opinion. this didn't make him popular but frequently effective.

I have no issue with not being popular for my views or claims here on a variety of suggests, I do see value in authenticity and being able to substantiate a claim more so defend a position. My position on this matter from the beginning was it was a bad move, and we need to pull the aircraft up and out of its dive before we hit the tarmac... meaning solicit Ironman back. Hell if the Jets can move back to Winnipeg anything is possible.

onestop67 wrote:Your final jab at my bedtime routine, just proves that you are just a child, when confronted with any kind of polite debate against your opinions.
good night.

Return to “South Okanagan”