Penticton Waterslide

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Penticton Waterslide

Post by southy »

Yup Pentona just another 200 grand to add onto the total!! Good news but gosh another 200 grand., When does it end?
I have a feeling we will be seeing afew more surprises before their term is up.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

southy wrote:Yup Pentona just another 200 grand to add onto the total!! Good news but gosh another 200 grand., When does it end?
I have a feeling we will be seeing afew more surprises before their term is up.

Don't forget that the $200,000 hit to taxpayers is on top of the $169,000 the city estimates it spent on staff, legal and other costs during its dealings with Trio over the past two years. :-X
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Add this to the hockey dorm bondogl and wow. The election can't come soon enough.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Should have just let the Attril Bros carry on their going concern of the Yamaha Dealership and Marina operation for the last few years. Would have been a positive cash flow to the City instead of near 400k hit. Redevelopment.....fine. Some planning ahead and heads up before terminating the previous operators would've been smart. Instead it is a cluster *bleep*. Too bad the decision makers can't be held liable for the tab instead of the taxpayers.
I honestly want to hurl every time I see or hear spandex Jak. This man's legacy will only be the worst Mayor for not only the past, but decades to come.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Not sure but maybe there should be a new thread with regard to the city owned Oxbow property. That being said though .. I wonder who might be interested in that property and for what. Could be condo's - yes. Could be higher end campground - yes. Could be condo's and commercial - yes. Could be hotel/motel - yes. Could be hotel/motel/restaurant - yes. Could even be a perfect location for waterslides - :200: now wouldn't that be something. Nahhh ... would never happen. Besides Mayor Jak said the community will be involved in any future developments on city land or something like that.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:Not sure but maybe there should be a new thread with regard to the city owned Oxbow property. That being said though .. I wonder who might be interested in that property and for what. Could be condo's - yes. Could be higher end campground - yes. Could be condo's and commercial - yes. Could be hotel/motel - yes. Could be hotel/motel/restaurant - yes. Could even be a perfect location for waterslides - :200: now wouldn't that be something. Nahhh ... would never happen. Besides Mayor Jak said the community will be involved in any future developments on city land or something like that.

The offer is to build a condo complex.......much higher value use than a seasonal campground. Also much more in tax revenues to the City to pay for needed infrastructure than a campground.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Thanks Twobits ... Makes perfect sense.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote:The offer is to build a condo complex.......much higher value use than a seasonal campground. Also much more in tax revenues to the City to pay for needed infrastructure than a campground.

Higher value to be sure, but is it the "best" use for that location? We've watched skyrocketing property values eat away at our inventory of tourist services for decades now, and it has seriously hampered our reputation as a family-oriented vacation destination. Personally I'd see turning a campground near the beach into yet another condo-development as a step in the wrong direction.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I could not help but notice the Penticton meeting was packed with people well past child bearing years. I mean the, "I had my kids and we camped all over the place, mostly for free when it was easy to do in the 50s, 60s, 70s but up coming families can't even have a waterslide" crowd.

Why are they against it again? And if a developer came in and sweetened the land use deal a tad, no wonder the waterslide got nixed.

Could be that money crossed palms?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

These are two different issues here Queenie, Southy is right in that this latest one should have a thread of its own, it's bound to generate some discussion of its own. The waterslide dust-up was nearby, but on park land down the street a bit. This latest one is a city owned property that has been leased for years, possibly decades, to people operating a tent & trailer campground, mostly tourist related but there are some long term residents who winter there. A developer has approached the city with interest in buying the property, so that's where we are now. No decision from the city one way or the other just yet. I think they learned a lesson about public engagement with the waterslide issue so they will be treading lightly around this one.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh sorry, yes, it's in the waterslide thread and needs it's own thread, you're right.

And yes, I see, another developer saw small time families enjoying themselves and said, "I can get big bucks out of that campgroud and the city will get lots of taxes, lose/win/win." Opps, lose for the environment too. Tree loss. But who cares if I get money.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Ahhh Queen K ... I think you are making a very BIG generalization about who uses that campground. I think you will discover the demographic is a lot different than the one you speak of. Let's not get on the pitty pot for the previous LEASEE of the campground property. Development is good and can offer homes for FAMILIES. Trees ... who said they were all coming down? Environment? Tell us how it is being affected? Lets see some specifics please.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

madmudder wrote:Add this to the hockey dorm bondogl and wow. The election can't come soon enough.

Actually that boondoggle over the hockey dorm land was the actions of the former mayor Dan Ashton. After completely screwing up the sale and construction start of a hockey dorm (which Penticton is still being sued over) he was rewarded by being elected the MLA for the area.

So, perhaps Mayor Jakubeit, will be rewarded with a seat somewhere, perhaps as an MP.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

my5cents wrote:
madmudder wrote:Add this to the hockey dorm bondogl and wow. The election can't come soon enough.

Actually that boondoggle over the hockey dorm land was the actions of the former mayor Dan Ashton. After completely screwing up the sale and construction start of a hockey dorm (which Penticton is still being sued over) he was rewarded by being elected the MLA for the area.

So, perhaps Mayor Jakubeit, will be rewarded with a seat somewhere, perhaps as an MP.

:laugh: Holy :cuss: what exactly is in that water you are drinking? [icon_lol2.gif]
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Thinktank wrote: Oct 16th, 2016, 6:30 am When Jakubeit said that part of Skaha Park was underutilized - he lied.

And in the future, more and more people will be using the park, as our population
grows.

Water Slide: Dumbest. Idea. Ever.
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH - I'M RIGHT AGAIN. Skaha Park is the most "over-utilized" ever. No parking anywhere.
Waterslide would ahve been STUUUUUUUUPID.
Fancy wrote: Oct 17th, 2016, 9:14 pm Hopefully the public will prove it is a great idea.
[icon_lol2.gif] Wrong again.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.

Return to “South Okanagan”