Bridge / lights to nowhere

Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Bridge / lights to nowhere

Post by Bunnyhop »

Dawnland wrote:Hey B!tchez! I started my holidays a few hours ago, so I thought I'd drop in as a private, anonymous forum poster to give y'all snowflakes (meant a s a term of endearment, I'm honouring your culture.) the 4-1-1 on what's going on... just so you don't look so darn silly to the PIB members who read the diatribe on this forum.
"Better to appear foolish, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" (said by somebody way smarter than me, but who really gets it.) Enough of my holiday mode.
OK, the holdup is always water. INAC is the one who authorizes the water permits, if we come across painted turtles or hibernacula, wildlife mitigation is required with CWS and in some cases, like with the water, we have to keep updating and redoing water plans or capacity plans and assessments, depending on the poor schmuck that's filling in for whoever is assigned to the case file. You wanna talk about a useless bureaucracy?! They like to fly teams out here to meet because it's important for the people in Ottawa to see the entire scope of the project. I would like to say that it shouldn't take that long, but guess what? It does. We've been really lucky lately with our new chief. He's made some really sound decisions which were based on his and the councils feedback from engagement with various community groups. And we have had way better turn around times for approvals.
JagXKR was right when it came to the water table stuff, it really threw a wrench into things but not necessarily the water itself, but for what it was displacing. PIB lands have been undeveloped for so long that many red and blue listed endangered species live in some of the most desirable lands. You know the riparian area behind Doc's Golf? That area is home to 25 of those species and at one point there were 5 government and non-government organizations who were leasing the land to prevent it from being developed. Now, due to the kindness of one of the locatee land owners, the En'owkin Centre was able to purchase some of those lands so they don't have to make monthly lease payments for that parcel... but a large portion is still leased.
86% of PIB's 46,000+ acres is protected land. The majority of the land you see on the lower reserve and along the roadway out of town is locatee owned. Most of that locatee land is available for development, you just have to contact PIBDC to help connect you with the appropriate land owner. So, Symbonite, take your Chief and Council comment and see the quote above.
There is hope though! Not all is lost! The current Lands Manager is working towards having a lands management act approved by community and ratified by council. These Land Codes remove 2/3rds of the INAC red tape when developing certain lands.
The community is serviced by Fortis electricity for the most part.
Fire protection is provided under a shared service agreement with the City of Penticton and as far as insurance coverage, every band home and facility is covered, lease facilities require their own coverage but rates are quite reasonable because of that service agreement along with PIBFD for backup (who has certification for darn near everything except for internal structure, that's next on the list of training).
A process has been initiated with the Ministry of Transportation for construction of the intersection servicing Skaha Hills. This is a difficult one because there is about 5 different family land owners in that area who are heavily impacted. The projected sales and development of Skaha Hills has exceeded all expectations by about 7 years, so people were planning for it, but those timelines have moved up, a lot.
Y'all gotta know I have mad respect for you. This forum is one of the reasons that I went and got my degree in communications. I thought to myself that I could affect the most change in our sassy little town if I could just share what's going on. Our community is so awesome and it could be even better (especially for the kids) if we got rid of the "Us vs. them" dialogue. We don't need the hate, it just makes us look bad.
I figure most of this will be censored out for various reasons, but since I'm on holidays, I'm feelin a bit rowdy and will just throw caution to the wind.

Dawnland, excellent explanation. Thanks for the informative response. Most people aren't aware how much INAC is involved and what that entails.

I can imagine how frustrating it is for you to see all the misinformation and innuendo that goes on in these forums. I appreciate when you clarify things.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Question? I am aware of the service agreement for fire protection for the Skaha Hills development but thought that it did not include the Crossing lands? Those are the lands that are the topic here.

Re the water table. I can see a serious engineering headache here. Hollow storm and sewer pipe wants to float up even when buried if there is not enuff load on top of them.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Dawnland wrote:Hey B!tchez! I started my holidays a few hours ago, so I thought I'd drop in as a private, anonymous forum poster to give y'all snowflakes (meant a s a term of endearment, I'm honouring your culture.) the 4-1-1 on what's going on... just so you don't look so darn silly to the PIB members who read the diatribe on this forum.
"Better to appear foolish, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" (said by somebody way smarter than me, but who really gets it.) Enough of my holiday mode.
OK, the holdup is always water. INAC is the one who authorizes the water permits, if we come across painted turtles or hibernacula, wildlife mitigation is required with CWS and in some cases, like with the water, we have to keep updating and redoing water plans or capacity plans and assessments, depending on the poor schmuck that's filling in for whoever is assigned to the case file. You wanna talk about a useless bureaucracy?! They like to fly teams out here to meet because it's important for the people in Ottawa to see the entire scope of the project. I would like to say that it shouldn't take that long, but guess what? It does. We've been really lucky lately with our new chief. He's made some really sound decisions which were based on his and the councils feedback from engagement with various community groups. And we have had way better turn around times for approvals.
JagXKR was right when it came to the water table stuff, it really threw a wrench into things but not necessarily the water itself, but for what it was displacing. PIB lands have been undeveloped for so long that many red and blue listed endangered species live in some of the most desirable lands. You know the riparian area behind Doc's Golf? That area is home to 25 of those species and at one point there were 5 government and non-government organizations who were leasing the land to prevent it from being developed. Now, due to the kindness of one of the locatee land owners, the En'owkin Centre was able to purchase some of those lands so they don't have to make monthly lease payments for that parcel... but a large portion is still leased.
86% of PIB's 46,000+ acres is protected land. The majority of the land you see on the lower reserve and along the roadway out of town is locatee owned. Most of that locatee land is available for development, you just have to contact PIBDC to help connect you with the appropriate land owner. So, Symbonite, take your Chief and Council comment and see the quote above.
There is hope though! Not all is lost! The current Lands Manager is working towards having a lands management act approved by community and ratified by council. These Land Codes remove 2/3rds of the INAC red tape when developing certain lands.
The community is serviced by Fortis electricity for the most part.
Fire protection is provided under a shared service agreement with the City of Penticton and as far as insurance coverage, every band home and facility is covered, lease facilities require their own coverage but rates are quite reasonable because of that service agreement along with PIBFD for backup (who has certification for darn near everything except for internal structure, that's next on the list of training).
A process has been initiated with the Ministry of Transportation for construction of the intersection servicing Skaha Hills. This is a difficult one because there is about 5 different family land owners in that area who are heavily impacted. The projected sales and development of Skaha Hills has exceeded all expectations by about 7 years, so people were planning for it, but those timelines have moved up, a lot.
Y'all gotta know I have mad respect for you. This forum is one of the reasons that I went and got my degree in communications. I thought to myself that I could affect the most change in our sassy little town if I could just share what's going on. Our community is so awesome and it could be even better (especially for the kids) if we got rid of the "Us vs. them" dialogue. We don't need the hate, it just makes us look bad.
I figure most of this will be censored out for various reasons, but since I'm on holidays, I'm feelin a bit rowdy and will just throw caution to the wind.

Damn, I love it when you throw caution to the wind! Enjoy your holidays and you should come and visit some of us "snowflakes" sometime.

:smt045
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
civil

Post by civil »

Anyone notice that if you're alone at the traffic lights trying to head straight through towards Green Avenue from the Nissan site, instead of giving you the solid green light to go straight through, the left turn signals go off instead without the solid green ever turning on. This was with me stopped at the stop bar... I had to reverse several meters back before it detected me. This needs to be fixed!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

civil wrote:Anyone notice that if you're alone at the traffic lights trying to head straight through towards Green Avenue from the Nissan site, instead of giving you the solid green light to go straight through, the left turn signals go off instead without the solid green ever turning on. This was with me stopped at the stop bar... I had to reverse several meters back before it detected me. This needs to be fixed!

No it does not need to be fixed. As far as I am concerned, the traffic light facing eastbound traffic should just be a steady flashing red indicating "stop and proceed when safe". As should the traffic light facing traffic looking to make a left onto channel parkway off of Green Ave.
Once there is actually some traffic from the bridge from the reserve to justify a timed and monitored traffic light sequence, this intersection is just a shutdown of Hwy 97 for for the convenience of one vehicle that approaches the intersection.
I am not a climate change groupie, but if you are......think about the carbon footprint of Hwy 97 being brought to a halt, all vehicles, up to 20 or 30 this time of year in both directions, then re accelerating to hwy speed does for the environment for your visit to the Nissan dealership.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

They're pushing dirt around near the Nissan dealership. Something new going in?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
civil

Post by civil »

Yeah something is definitely being built just behind the Nissan dealership. They've started to erect the building structure this morning. Haven't heard any announcements yet.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Nothing on their web page yet. For those intrepid young reporters at Castanet they could always get in touch with the group.

https://kulgroup.ca
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Or could be a spec building for lease?? Nah....too proactive.

civil

Post by civil »

So apparently it's going to be a warehouse building for some company. They've put up a sign at the site.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

civil wrote:So apparently it's going to be a warehouse building for some company. They've put up a sign at the site.

Warehouse for some company? Gosh, I hope the 8 million dollar 4 lane bridge is big enough to handle the traffic.

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

5 lane.
1 westbound, 4 eastbound with
2 left turn northbound
1 straight through eastbound and
1 right turn southbound
https://goo.gl/maps/fyGFtWyK9E8fdqK26
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

[quote="JagXKR"]5 lane.
1 westbound, 4 eastbound with
2 left turn northbound
1 straight through eastbound and
1 right turn southbound
https://goo.gl/maps/fyGFtWyK9E8fdqK26[/quote

ooops.....my bad. It's 20% worse than I thought. More fish soup politics reaching into our pockets.

Where is Dawnland? Seems like she may have been spanked for not vetting her input here first with the "donald's" of the PIB.

Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

I was curious so I drove into the site. It's IBC, who are currently located in the Industrial Area. IBC is International Bar Coding Systems and Consulting who's website says:

International Bar Coding Systems & Consulting Inc. (IBC) is a full service solution provider for Inventory Management, Labeling, Bar Coding, Point-of-Sale, SMB and Enterprise Computing. IBC provides the technical know-how and experience to update outdated and legacy technology up to the requirements of modern business. By providing optimal performance power per dollar, IBC helps integrate your current hardware into a modern fully functioning technology and computing solution that provides seamless integration between head office, work-stations, POS terminals and even mobile computing and tablets. Utilizing rugged peripherals and unmatched computing customization, IBC helps optimize productivity in a cost effective reliable manner.

With over 20 years’ of experience, IBC’s solutions are utilized by SMB’s, Fortune 500 companies, and government agencies all across North America. With Government contracting solutions provided to the USA and Canada; IBC’s unique solutions are in operation 365 days of the year by Municipalities, Provincial and State Governments, and Federal Agencies.

Not sure if this is an expansion or a move.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Tony wrote:I was curious so I drove into the site. It's IBC, who are currently located in the Industrial Area. IBC is International Bar Coding Systems and Consulting who's website says:

International Bar Coding Systems & Consulting Inc. (IBC) is a full service solution provider for Inventory Management, Labeling, Bar Coding, Point-of-Sale, SMB and Enterprise Computing. IBC provides the technical know-how and experience to update outdated and legacy technology up to the requirements of modern business. By providing optimal performance power per dollar, IBC helps integrate your current hardware into a modern fully functioning technology and computing solution that provides seamless integration between head office, work-stations, *bleep* terminals and even mobile computing and tablets. Utilizing rugged peripherals and unmatched computing customization, IBC helps optimize productivity in a cost effective reliable manner.

With over 20 years’ of experience, IBC’s solutions are utilized by SMB’s, Fortune 500 companies, and government agencies all across North America. With Government contracting solutions provided to the USA and Canada; IBC’s unique solutions are in operation 365 days of the year by Municipalities, Provincial and State Governments, and Federal Agencies.

Not sure if this is an expansion or a move.

The owner turns sixty this yer. My thoughts would be it is retirement planning divesting from current land assets so biz purchase does not include million plus of land and building. More marketable.

Return to “South Okanagan”