Main Street opening soon

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Main Street opening soon

Post by southy »

Like everyone else on here, I too have had trouble finding any information of these decisions. However, I am attaching a 2015 story from the Penticton Western in which city staff justify the changes. Surprised no one jumped all over this at the time. Maybe I missed it.

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/new ... obile=true
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Like everyone else on here, I too have had trouble finding any information of these decisions. However, I am attaching a 2015 story from the Penticton Western in which city staff justify the changes. Surprised no one jumped all over this at the time. Maybe I missed it.

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/new ... obile=true

Interesting article; I don't recall it. I find it odd that Mr. Mozoriuk would state that a wider sidewalk is necessary in front of City Hall. Why? The only time I have ever seen it used for a large group was the protest against Skaha Park changes. What other purpose would that serve other than reducing parking in the downtown. IF there is any validity to his comment, then why didn't they allow a short, wide section in front of City Hall; then go back to Angle parking North of there and keep ALMOST the amount of parking that we previously enjoyed? Something is still missing (Transparency).

"Main Street will also be narrowed to two lanes through both blocks to make room for wider sidewalks, especially in front of city hall, where 66 angled parking spots are to be replaced with parallel parking, for a total of 46 spots on both sides of the road instead of the current 94.

“If you walk out in front of city hall right now, you have a pretty small sidewalk in front of a major civic facility. It was felt it was important to make that sidewalk bigger,” said director of operations Mitch Moroziuk, who suggested the loss of 48 parking spots could be ameliorated by dedicating 18 spots behind City Hall to public parking, where they can access the building’s rear entrance.

“You have to retrain your public. The public would still have a place to park,” said Moroziuk.

ETA: using the rear entrance, If I am not mistaken, I believe there are stairs and no wheelchair access. That is around the front of the building.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

“You have to retrain your public. The public would still have a place to park,” said Moroziuk.[/i]

So this is what's happening - we are all being retrained. Now I get it. Finally! [icon_lol2.gif]
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:“You have to retrain your public. The public would still have a place to park,” said Moroziuk.[/i]

So this is what's happening - we are all being retrained. Now I get it. Finally! [icon_lol2.gif]

Missed that article too. Nice to see they are opening up 18 spots behind the palace but that is still far short of what is being lost out front.
I find the "retraining" comment rather offensive. Rather than say something like we have to inform the public, I somehow feel like I am being viewed as a seal that needs a fish to get the desired message. Then again, it fits perfectly with Mzuk's arrogant personality. This guy thinks so highly of himself that he doesn't feel he needs to flush cuz everything he puts out can't possibly smell. Kinda like Jakbut. Hey....they even kinda rhyme!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Looks like the Peachfest Parade on August 12th will be changing its route. Perhaps the narrowing of Main Street was not the way to go and if it continues on up to the 600 block, maybe they should hold the parades down at the South end of town in future. So much for watching it from Gyro Park area.

Here is a bit from an article in the H_rald paper tomorrow, quoting Parade chairperson Teresa Kendall:

The 90-minute parade will begin at its traditional spot outside the Penticton Public Library on Main Street. Instead of marching forward at the 600 block on Main Street, the parade will make a left turn onto Wade Ave. W. and then another at Winnipeg Street. The parade will then proceed down Winnipeg to Lakeshore Drive and turn left to begin the final leg. The traditional end at the SS Sicamous will remain the same.

Kendall said with the first two blocks of Main Street now covered in bricks it made it impossible for the motorcycle team to do tricks. The downtown shrinks from three lanes to two at the 200 block which would have been a challenge for the large floats and marching bands. (This also proved to be an issue during June's Beach to Peach Cruise.)
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

What's so broken that they believe it has to be " fixed".....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Yup .. We saw this one coming way back. Now ... I wonder what Claus will do in December??
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

pentona wrote:Looks like the Peachfest Parade on August 12th will be changing its route. Perhaps the narrowing of Main Street was not the way to go

Oh man, please tell me that is sarcasm or trying to troll a thread.

If you really think that it was a bad idea to reconfigure Main Street, because it would mess with parade routes, you should seek help.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

onestop67 wrote:Oh man, please tell me that is sarcasm or trying to troll a thread.

If you really think that it was a bad idea to reconfigure Main Street, because it would mess with parade routes, you should seek help.

No trolling here; just passing on the story. The parade route change is only one problem associated with the 100 and 200 block upgrade. There are very few people who actually think that it has been an improvement. Bricks, narrowing, bumps, all were not the best way to go.

The money could have been better spent just redoing underground infrastructure and repaving the entire 6 blocks for what they paid for that job. Now, the pig is empty and the rest of the street(s) are a mess of potholes and cracks.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Really? Sarcasm? Trolling? Unlikely!! The entire downtown revite is simply one hell of a mess. Try driving it. Watch you don't take off any car doors as drivers try to exit their vehicle. Watch you don't hit drivers getting out of their vehicle. Watch which way vehicles are being directed by the big not so beautiful traffic cones. Watch as motorists who aren't from here try to navigate the raised crosswalks at intersections. Watch for pedestrians not using designated crosswalks. Oh hell - let's face it - Main street is simply a mess. Tell me why again this was planned the way it was??? Oh yea ... more pedestrian traffic ... hummmm. (please note sarcasm).
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Really? Sarcasm? Trolling? Unlikely!! The entire downtown revite is simply one hell of a mess. Try driving it. Watch you don't take off any car doors as drivers try to exit their vehicle. Watch you don't hit drivers getting out of their vehicle. Watch which way vehicles are being directed by the big not so beautiful traffic cones. Watch as motorists who aren't from here try to navigate the raised crosswalks at intersections. Watch for pedestrians not using designated crosswalks. Oh hell - let's face it - Main street is simply a mess. Tell me why again this was planned the way it was??? Oh yea ... more pedestrian traffic ... hummmm. (please note sarcasm).

I would have to agree. The amount of money spent on those two blocks was astronomical and there appears to be no benefits. The 200 block is very congested now and we still see delivery trucks double parking, leaving only one lane open.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Avoid down town except for one bank and they have a branch at the staples/ superstore that I find I use more now. Not a fan of the down town Penticton. Used book store is a good one though..
I am not wealthy but I am rich
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

The other issue I can see happening sooner than later is, the city and downtown Penticton Association kept saying there is lots of parking off Main Street - in behind the 200 Block by Guerards Furniture. Well what is going to happen when all these new condo projects move forward. Where will that parking go? City says parking is not an issue and that it is being under utilized. TIme will tell.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:The other issue I can see happening sooner than later is, the city and downtown Penticton Association kept saying there is lots of parking off Main Street - in behind the 200 Block by Guerards Furniture. Well what is going to happen when all these new condo projects move forward. Where will that parking go? City says parking is not an issue and that it is being under utilized. TIme will tell.

Page out of Mayor of Vancouver playbook. Make driving anywhere impossible to force people to take the bus or ride a bike.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Agreed Twobits - just last week I was downtown in the 400 block (that is downtown isn't it?) Anyways had to take a pee - couldn't find a public washroom so had to take the bus down to Gyro Park. Wondering though - didn't I read somewhere back in the spring that the city was investing thousands to build a public washroom for downtown? What happened to that? No portables? And guess what ... summer 2017 is quickly coming to an end. Always next year I suppose. Yea right!

Return to “South Okanagan”