No water for Summerland for 3 days?

steve mc
Fledgling

Re: No water for Summerland for 3 days?

Post by steve mc »

I find it had to belive that interior health has no problem with total system shut down when it is not requried will the system not haved to pass testing before being able to use.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

steve mc wrote:I find it had to belive that interior health has no problem with total system shut down when it is not requried will the system not haved to pass testing before being able to use.

I can't see how it would be possible to not have a boil water warning for at least a week while the system is flushed and lab tests come back from every distal point in the water system. It's things like that that many people do not contemplate when calculating the cost of such a major shutdown. It's so easy to flush a toilet with an ice cream bucket but any business that requires potable water just has to suck it up. It will be interesting to see how Interior Health handles the situation with regard to all businesses in the food industry from primary to retail. They take water quality pretty seriously. I know of a Caterer whose primary food prep kitchen is not on Municipal supplied water but rather a long established well source. In order to operate, they require an expensive lab test every month of their water supply to keep their operating permit. Does anyone think IH is going to let even a piece of lettuce be washed with mains water during a boil water notice?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
steve mc
Fledgling

Post by steve mc »

interior health is on the hook for this. one week boil order is going to be hard. to complete system flushing and testing. that prv looks like it has seen better day a bypass prv would give them the time to do it right. working with the lets get it done is not proper planing.
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

If no water is going to be used for 3 days will that not put additional pressure on the walls of the current main reservoir at the west end of Prairie Valley? I understand that it already has a pretty good "leak rate" so I'm wondering if this will exacerbate the problem or ???
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

RandyDandy wrote:If no water is going to be used for 3 days will that not put additional pressure on the walls of the current main reservoir at the west end of Prairie Valley? I understand that it already has a pretty good "leak rate" so I'm wondering if this will exacerbate the problem or ???

No, the reservoirs are not dependent on use of domestic water to control full pool levels. Excess water above full pool would just be discharged into Trout Creek as it is every time there is a high snow pack freshet.
I am still waiting for someone....anyone.....to explain how homes insured as being within a thousand feet of a fire hydrant are going to be covered with valid insurance?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Is this not supposed to happen this weekend?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Anonymous123 wrote:Is this not supposed to happen this weekend?

It is. And miraculously they somehow found a solution to maintain a water source albeit not treated for most of the community.
I suspect the reason for sudden new supply at a cost was because of what I alluded to in previous posts......no fire protection for structures that were insured as fire protected by hydrant supplied. The potential liability insurance cost of the City to cover that exceeded the cost of finding a solution of temp water.

Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... ed-by-fire

Not meaning to be a conspiracy theorist, but since it's snowed/rained for that last couple of days, does anyone else think it's odd that a brush fire started? Was this somebody's sick idea of a joke because the water is off in that area?

Just seems very odd and the timing very coincidental.
antelee
Fledgling

Post by antelee »

I just want to give our Public Works and the Contractors a standing ovation for a job well done!
Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

antelee wrote:I just want to give our Public Works and the Contractors a standing ovation for a job well done!

Yes, I agree, they did a great job. Perhaps City of Penticton could learn something from this - hint - hint - hint!!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Yes, I agree, they did a great job. Perhaps City of Penticton could learn something from this - hint - hint - hint!!

While I agree that they did a good job, I do have to wonder if the city stated XXX number of days to complete; knowing full well that if they finished it in XX days, they would receive praise. Sorry, just seen this kinda thing before. Not a bad idea if thats how it went down.

The Weather people often use this strategy. Predict the worst possible outcome/weather and then when it turns out not so bad, they look good in the publics eye. Not rocket science.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Hey XT - you really think City Hall folks would play that game? Wait a sec what am I thinking .... of course they would. Thanks for the reminder.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Hey XT - you really think City Hall folks would play that game? Wait a sec what am I thinking .... of course they would. Thanks for the reminder.

You bet they all do it. ie: the Province is doing it right now, in a similar fashion to buy votes next election. Tell the people that MSP premiums are going to reduced by 50% in most cases. They hope that people forgot how much they were raised in the past year or two by these same jokers.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

XT225 wrote:While I agree that they did a good job, I do have to wonder if the city stated XXX number of days to complete; knowing full well that if they finished it in XX days, they would receive praise. Sorry, just seen this kinda thing before. Not a bad idea if thats how it went down.

The Weather people often use this strategy. Predict the worst possible outcome/weather and then when it turns out not so bad, they look good in the publics eye. Not rocket science.

Conspiracy theorists would assume that, however I would venture a guess that they predicted "XXX" number of days to allow for anything that may delay the job. Since there was no delays the job was done in "XX" days. I highly doubt there were any ulterior motives here.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “South Okanagan”