Recent Herald paid poll of Council

twobits
Guru

Recent Herald paid poll of Council

Post by twobits »

How thick can Mayor Jak's skin possibly be or is he just beyond belief ignorant that he has no community support? How can he continue this charade of leadership when he is even ten points below Donald Trump levels in approval ratings? It is incredulous that he calls for constructive discussion to resolve issues brought up on power pole leaflets when it is his and council's lack of constructive discussion prior to decisions that is the problem.
Major Jak. If you read these threads, please do the right thing and resign immediately and allow a by election to elect a new leader for the remaining two years of this mandate. If you plan to continue to live in this community, it is the only hope you have for a modicum of respect......that being an admission of being in over your head, recognizing that reality, and graciously passing the torch.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Recent Herald paid poll of Council

Post by rustled »

Gee, twobits, not all of us want to pay for an extra election. Maybe you are in the majority with wanting one, but regardless we're none of us going to get much bang for our buck. Cuz regardless of who wins, there's still going to be a whole ton of complaining going on. It's the Penticton way, right? No point subjecting anyone new to the same old miserable griping. :smt045
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Council members who follow the mayor like sheep should share in his unpopularity.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Rosemary1 wrote:Council members who follow the mayor like sheep should share in his unpopularity.

Hum mm ... It's been so long that we've heard from council members I can't remember who they are.
theseeker
Fledgling

Post by theseeker »

They are, Smiley, Dopey, Grumpy, Sleepy etc, etc, etc...................
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

And you are much to kind!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

rustled wrote:Gee, twobits, not all of us want to pay for an extra election. Maybe you are in the majority with wanting one, but regardless we're none of us going to get much bang for our buck. Cuz regardless of who wins, there's still going to be a whole ton of complaining going on. It's the Penticton way, right? No point subjecting anyone new to the same old miserable griping. :smt045

27k to get rid of this incompetent would be the best use of funds to date.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

In your opinion. Hey, if we're gonna run the city on opinion, let's put everything to a vote, and decide everything like it's just an ongoing popularity contest.

No need for council at all!. Staff comes up with an idea, asks yes or no, we get to hear from the most vocal supporters and objectors, see if we can figure out who's exaggerating and who's telling the truth, and then we vote. Miller and Slump and Barillaro and Kimberley could really get some bang for their time investment. No more griping, just campaigning.

Constant campaigning instead of constant complaining!

We could vote several times a year for what we currently pay council, direct staff to do what the majority wants every time through direct democracy.

What could go wrong?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

rustled wrote:In your opinion.

And apparently also 81% of others with a margin of error of 5.6% so no, I don't think I am outlying opinion but rather you are.

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

rustled wrote:In your opinion.

twobits wrote: And apparently also 81% of others with a margin of error of 5.6% so no, I don't think I am outlying opinion but rather you are.

So let's reorganize things so 81% can't possibly be disappointed by yet another council that won't do what they want them to do. Surely the best way to do that is to simply eliminate council altogether and run the city with popularity contests instead.

Give the relentless complainers/campaigners in this town even more ability to use their influence, and give Miller's rag even more opportunity to expand the opinion pages.

That's really the best way to run the city, direct democracy based on opinion, right?

Again, what could possibly go wrong?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Given the Herald's track record over the past decade, and the editor's obvious bias against the current mayor and council, is nobody willing to question the underlying purpose of this poll ? Or the wisdom of a media outlet that seems to relish in sowing seeds of discontent ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Miller's very, very good at what he does.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

He certainly is, and lucky for him the days of journalistic responsibility seem to be behind us now.

The ratio of informed voters to uninformed voters is dismal these days, and it's a sad fact that the latter group outnumbers the former and by their nature are easily led, a fact that too many depend on in the world of politics. There was once a time when the media offered a way to shift that balance towards the "informed" side of the scale. Now it looks like the Herald, like so many others, has become just another tool for the advancement of agendas that do not hold the best interest of the voting public at heart.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

fluffy wrote: Now it looks like the Herald, like so many others, has become just another tool for the advancement of agendas that do not hold the best interest of the voting public at heart.

Speaking of politics that was a nice try - but no home run Fluff my friend. How do you turn the reality of the DYSFUNCTION of this current mayor and council into a media bashing component??? Either you and your buddy Rust are employees of COP or you just thrive on calling black white and white black. In my opinion it is very obvious there are major problems within city hall. For you two to point fingers at posters on Castanet and media (specifically the Penticton Herald) leaves me shaking my head and thinking ..."are there really people out there who cannot see the reality of what has been happening over the past 24 months???? While I'm at it - you key on James Miller and the Herald, at least he has the balls to call a spade a spade. What about the other media in the area? Are you going to tell me that Castanet, *bleep*, the Penticton Western, Okanagan Press, SUN-FM, EZ-ROCK and CBC are all out to lunch for reporting the same stories? Not buying it. Think I'll sit back with a cup of joe and enjoy my Okanagan Sunday and the Province.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I don't see council's performance record as the center of the story here, I question the Herald's self appointed role as council's assassin.

We are becoming a nation of superficial whiners and crybabies, and from what I see the only thing worse than people jumping on that bandwagon are those who promote it. Like the Herald. And like a small collection of tossed-out-on-their-asses ex-mayors.

Return to “South Okanagan”