We are very very lucky!!

southy
Lord of the Board

We are very very lucky!!

Post by southy »

So see they held their public meeting with the developer and community last night for the development over on Kinney Avenue. Folks we are so damn lucky that this developer is not putting in a kids park with slides ... can you imagine the uproar if that happened? http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#179808
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: We are very very lucky!!

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:So see they held their public meeting with the developer and community last night for the development over on Kinney Avenue. Folks we are so damn lucky that this developer is not putting in a kids park with slides ... can you imagine the uproar if that happened? http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#179808

The slides would have been a good fit for that property, Southy. They could have attached them to the top of Cherry Lane Towers so the seniors there could have a go at them as well! (Tongue in cheek).
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Concerns at the hearing, which lasted just short of three hours, came largely from the neighbouring Cherry Lane Towers, and ranged from safety issues for children at the school next door with more traffic in the area, to the impact on sports at the school fields.

Of course the opposition comes from residents of Cherry Lane Towers, and of course all the "safety concerns" and "impact on sports" concerns are total BS. They are worried about residents losing their view to the west. Personally I say, "Who cares?". These people didn't see the lack of foresight in putting high density 55+ housing a hundred yards away from an elementary school in the first place, I'll be damned if I support their selfish "What about me?" stance to keep family dwelling out of the neighbourhood now that senior housing has all but taken over the area.

I just hope Council sees this resistance by the Cherry Lane Towers residence for what it is, and not by shy at the prospect of yet another gray tsunami washing over city hall.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
MyPointofView
Fledgling

Post by MyPointofView »

Well said Fluffy. NIMBY at its finest! If I agree it's ok if not it's a "safety" issue or whatever the excuse du jour is. Totally self centered, quite sad and pathetic if you think about it.
Just saying…..,

Be safe and be kind
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

MyPointofView wrote:Totally self centered, quite sad and pathetic if you think about it.

It certainly is. This proposed development wouldn't be doing anything to Cherry Lane Towers that they haven't already done to the rest of the neighbourhood. In fact, they started it. What's good for the goose...
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I think the Principal's concern about increased traffic is valid. 125 extra vehicles per day running through a school zone is a lot.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

ToddT wrote:I think the Principal's concern about increased traffic is valid. 125 extra vehicles per day running through a school zone is a lot.

Sure, but it's nothing that regular speed traps wouldn't keep under control, in addition to the traffic calming measures that have been installed over the past few years.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

fluffy wrote:
Sure, but it's nothing that regular speed traps wouldn't keep under control, in addition to the traffic calming measures that have been installed over the past few years.

I disagree. Look at the Warren Ave. side. People speed through there all the time and it is supposed to be 30 km/hr from dawn till dusk, not just 8-5.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

ToddT wrote:I disagree. Look at the Warren Ave. side. People speed through there all the time and it is supposed to be 30 km/hr from dawn till dusk, not just 8-5.

I travel that route often and have found it much quieter since they put those flashing radar speed signs in. You're going to get speeders everywhere, more-so on a street like Warren Ave than Kinney because it's a major route off the Parkway. Still, I don't recall any mishaps along there. I think most of the accidents in that neighbourhood are at the light at Warren and Atkinson.

My point is that I seriously doubt that the extra traffic from this new project is going to make things any worse than they got when all the 55+ moved in over the last twenty years.

Edited to add:
A simple solution would be a "No Right Turn" sign where the building access empties on to Kinney Ave. and steer them away from the school. They could do the same for the Cherry Lane Towers access to Kinney as well and the net effect would be an overall reduction in traffic past the school from its current level.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

ToddT wrote:I think the Principal's concern about increased traffic is valid. 125 extra vehicles per day running through a school zone is a lot.

An extra 125 vehicles is squat. In only a 12 hour period, that is only one extra vehicle every five minutes. And that is assuming every vehicle was used every day and went west to Channel Parkway instead of east to Main st....the more likely route.
Further, what has been absent in this thread is that this rezoning complies with the OCP which has long designated this property as high density residential. It fits in perfectly with the OCP concept of high density residential around commercial hub centers.
This is and was a no brainer and those that opposed this were just grasping at straws in trying to find some way to validate their opposition. It is absolutely hypocritical to use the safety of children on the roads and blockage of views when one has moved into an eight story building that did the same thing to the previous residents of the area.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

My original post was meant to be tongue in cheek .. Children's slides not water slides. Anyways, Twobits I agree with you, in that those complaining likely live in the adjacent towers. Talk about hypocrisy at its best. One question though and I might be having a brain fart, but Kinney ave. as far as I know doesn't connect to the channel ... Warren and Green do, so I'm confused about increased traffic going west on Kinney? Think this may have been an oops by school principal Todd Lindsey.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I believe the theory is that the traffic would funnel West on Kinney then join Warren via Baskin.
I 100% support the development. Traffic is a real issue though. To assume that traffic would flow in an orderly fashion of 1 car every 5 minutes over a 12 hour span is ludicrous. If that was the case we wouldn't have "rush hour."

I am completely satisfied with the decision to do a traffic study to see if calming measures are needed. That's it, that's all!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

ToddT wrote:I believe the theory is that the traffic would funnel West on Kinney then join Warren via Baskin.
I 100% support the development. Traffic is a real issue though. To assume that traffic would flow in an orderly fashion of 1 car every 5 minutes over a 12 hour span is ludicrous. If that was the case we wouldn't have "rush hour."

I am completely satisfied with the decision to do a traffic study to see if calming measures are needed. That's it, that's all!

Thanks ToddT - however, RUSH HOUR??? I just returned from San Francisco .. experienced a little rush hour there. Penticton .. nahh .. not a big deal. We need the development.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

lol I knew I was going to get something for that. All I'm saying is that in the morning and late afternoon there will be markedly increased traffic. I don't think anyone can dispute that.

I'm all for the development. We need it badly in this city. Just remember you can't paint stripes on a horse and call it a zebra.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Tell that to our current mayor and council. I do get what you are saying ToddT .. thanks.

Return to “South Okanagan”