Free Over-The-Air (OTA) TV in Penticton?

jaunti

Free Over-The-Air (OTA) TV in Penticton?

Post by jaunti »

I've done a bit of research online, looking at the sites that give you an idea of the channels available for a city, and it apparently seems there are a few channels - not sure if they're HD or SD - available for us here in Penticton, using an OTA antenna with some reasonable gain. I'm almost sure of the HD signal from Global-Kelowna, but not too confident about the other networks, ie: CBC, CTV, etc.

Would anyone have first-hand knowledge (ie: they have a OTA antenna and receiving a good quality picture) they can pass on, to help me with my decision? I'm paying a $70/mnt satellite bill and the other options aren't much better - sure I can pay less, but then I get less than what I want....- and what we watch on TV is mostly Netflix, it seems (only ~$10/mnt). In the old days, I would like to watch the networks for TV news, but I prefer to get that now with my computer - way more sources, no commercial breaks, and not having to wait on a schedule to see something.

thanks -
pentona
Übergod

Re: Free Over-The-Air (OTA) TV in Penticton?

Post by pentona »

jaunti wrote:I've done a bit of research online, looking at the sites that give you an idea of the channels available for a city, and it apparently seems there are a few channels - not sure if they're HD or SD - available for us here in Penticton, using an OTA antenna with some reasonable gain. I'm almost sure of the HD signal from Global-Kelowna, but not too confident about the other networks, ie: CBC, CTV, etc.

Would anyone have first-hand knowledge (ie: they have a OTA antenna and receiving a good quality picture) they can pass on, to help me with my decision? I'm paying a $70/mnt satellite bill and the other options aren't much better - sure I can pay less, but then I get less than what I want....- and what we watch on TV is mostly Netflix, it seems (only ~$10/mnt). In the old days, I would like to watch the networks for TV news, but I prefer to get that now with my computer - way more sources, no commercial breaks, and not having to wait on a schedule to see something.

thanks -

You can receive one or two Global Stations over the airwaves locally; both in HD. Channel 30 (CHKL) and 32 (CHBC). It will depend on your location; both transmitters sites are on the East side, often called Chute Mountain but closer to actually being above and North of Naramata.

There used to be another site on Nkwala Mtn just above West Bench; it was Analog channel 7, the last time I checked. Not sure on the status of channel 30 but I know that 32 is on the air and the quality of the signal is actually better than both Satellite and Cable as the channel is not compressed.

Don't expect any other channels in this area but if all you want is the local news and Global BC, along with Netflix, these one or two channels will work well for you. Ch. 30 is almost a duplicate of 32 except that the news comes from Vancovuer on 30. Note that you will require a flat panel TV or digital converter to receive these. The old TV's alone won't work.

https://www.shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Telev ... _FINAL.pdf
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Free Over-The-Air (OTA) TV in Penticton?

Post by Bsuds »

With a decent internet speed and either a smart TV and or a media computer you can watch almost anything you want.
(Google KODI)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “South Okanagan”