Penticton gun show

dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Penticton gun show

Post by dogspoiler »

I was thinking about going to the gun show on the 9th. Has anyone been there ? How is it, good or bad ?
Black Dogs Matter
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Penticton gun show

Post by Jflem1983 »

It is the best show around here
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

dogspoiler wrote:I was thinking about going to the gun show on the 9th. Has anyone been there ? How is it, good or bad ?

Very interested.....where is it?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Curling rink
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I went a couple of years ago.

It was my 1st gun show - so take this with a grain of salt.

I was disappointed. A couple of retail stores had booths selling new firearms at average prices. Otherwise, it was mostly a bunch of old dudes trying to unload their collection of old rifles. All stuff from the 50's and 60's it seemed. Old enough to be old - not old enough to be collectable. What I did like was priced too high - I could almost buy something new for that price.

I had been looking for a shotgun for a while. Found a couple at the show - more expensive than the regular price at Grouse River. Stopped by Grouse River on the way home and bought it new. The store was PACKED. Staff were telling me it was crazy busy that day - all customers like me who came back from the gun show disappointed and decided to just buy new.

Was still a neat trip, but I was disappointed. Reminded me of a flea market - only deals to be had were on old items that nobody wanted anymore. Single shot .22's were cheap! Might be a good place to pick up a 1st rifle for a youth.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

And this is what's wrong with today's gun buyer . Instead of a quality winchester from the 50s . They buy foreign junk . You get what u pay for

ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I got a beauty of a Winchester 22 semi auto that needed to be re blued and have the stock refinished. Works like a dream now. $100 is all I paid for it.

Another buddy got a badlands bino harness for $15.

Plano rifle case for $20.

Lots of deals. Either get there first on Saturday or last on Sunday, you'll find something you want to take home.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Jflem1983 wrote:And this is what's wrong with today's gun buyer . Instead of a quality winchester from the 50s . They buy foreign junk . You get what u pay for

You know nothing about me.

I bought a remmington 870 pump thank-you, renowned for it's quality and something that'll last me a lifetime. I'd have been happy to buy a quality pump action 12ga from the 50's. If I could have found one that was in decent shape. I did see an old Wingmaster - needed a complete overhaul and a new/refinished stock and was still tagged at $475.

Are you one of those old dudes trying to sell a 60's single shot bolt action 30-06 with iron sights for $400? It may be quality built but nobody wants it.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I like my older lever actions . Nothing wrong with an 870 I shoot an 1100 myself

Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Have to agree with the OP.
I don't bother with the Penticton show anymore due to the crazy prices people want for their used guns. I remember one year, a guy had a used Norinco M14 (cheap Chinese knock off) for more money than a brand new rifle.
I didn't even bother to try and talk him down....just smiled and moved on. :135:
Check out the buy and sell on CandianGunNutz if you are actually looking to buy.

The Kamloops show is actually worth the drive. :up:
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Jflem1983 wrote:I like my older lever actions . Nothing wrong with an 870 I shoot an 1100 myself

You'd love the Winchester Model 1892 Rifle that I recently inherited from my Grandfather. Serial number says it was manufactured in 1898.

Lever action chambered in 44-40. Exact same rifle that you see in a lot of old John Wayne westerns. After partial disassembly and a good cleaning, the action works great and it shoots very well. Unfortunately, 44-40 ammo is "Special Order Only" stuff nowadays and expensive. Also - my Grandfather came from a long line of "Poor as dirt" farmers. This was a rifle that was someone's constant outdoor companion for a good couple of decades and the condition reflects it.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Was quite busy today . Prices were higher than expected however I found some needed hard to find parts . Very good show great crowd .

Return to “South Okanagan”