Summerland landfill takes on more sewage?

RandyDandy
Fledgling

Summerland landfill takes on more sewage?

Post by RandyDandy »

Gotta say, Summerland, already famous for the proximity of its landfill to its main water reservoir, is considering being the repository of yet more compostable garbage and sewage. The landfill, a mile from the reservoir, is built on porous gravel in an area that has underground rivers and streams, sitting on top of an aquifer of an unknown quantity, the same one that would have services the Summerland Hills Golf fiasco, had it continued. Wonder what our council is thinking on this one?
totoramona
Board Meister

Re: Summerland landfill takes on more sewage?

Post by totoramona »

Here is the RDOS website with all of the information gathered so far relating to this project.

http://www.rdos.bc.ca/departments/public-works/solid-waste/public-consultation-organics-carts-landfills/siting-of-compost-facilities/
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

Meeting tonight Summerland council chambers 7:00 pm and RDOS waste management plan presentation Wednesday night, IOOF
Hall 6:30 pm. It's us or the Marron valley. Opportunities for input, that they should be needed. Motherhood issue.
Giants Head
Fledgling

Post by Giants Head »

The RDOS staff has made the recommendation that Summerland will be the site of the regional compost facility. All sewage,food waste,wood waste and compost would be trucked thru Summerland to the landfill. The RDOS says that the Marron Valley site will be kept as a backup plan should the Summerland site fail to get council approval. Tom Siddon the RDOS rep for that area says that Marron Valley should be removed from the discussion as the site is not suitable and could cause odour problems. What is going on in Summerland? This is a very big deal that could change things in Summerland forever yet next to no interest is being shown by the press or citizens about this plan. Nobody wants these sites, they stink, the trucks that haul the sewage stink, the proposed food waste collection trucks will stink just as bad when that plan gets implemented. This is now in Summerland Councils hands for a decision. If you like the idea of all the fecal material from the South Okanagan being deposited above the drinking water reservoir and all the related reeking truck traffic going thru town you don't have to give this proposal anymore thought. If this plan pisses you off and you can't even believe it is being considered you should think about it.
Last edited by Giants Head on Jul 29th, 2017, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
smoky500
Fledgling

Post by smoky500 »

where did you get the information that a decision has been made? I read an article about the last board meeting that said several of the directors were leaning away from Marron Valley site but did not say a decision had been made. I looked on the RDOS site but could not find anything.
Giants Head
Fledgling

Post by Giants Head »

It is on the Penticton Western News site this morning. If you know how to link it,do it so everyone can read it. I find it interesting that Tom Siddon wants nothing to do with it for his area yet Peter Waterman wants to explore the possibilities of the proposal for Summerland
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Here is the article Giants Head is referring to:

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/new ... -facility/

Perhaps the NIMBYS in Summerland will now refocus their attention from Lark to this.
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

At this point, whether it be Banks crescent or a district composting facility, or maybe a bike trail to Penticton, Mr Waterman is desperate to find a legacy to legitimize his short tenure as Mayor. "Stop the swap" was a good line while it lasted, and then Lark came to town.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203462

Is this a good idea?

But where if not here? Marron Valley has a large carbon footprint if organics are trucked there. And would turn an idyllic valley laid back vibe into a freeway of huge trucks.

That it was even a contender is more shocking than the final choice.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

If not wanting to drink sewage makes me a NIMBY, fine! I'm a NIMBY. There are underground rivers up there, did you know?
I've seen one, at the bottom of a mineshaft. This is not just heresay. First hand experience.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Again I don't believe this is the right spot for a compost recycle facility. Well perhaps it might be if the ground is sealed from contaminants leaching into the soil. As mentioned no shortage of water issues up there. I'd hope there would be ongoing testing but if there is anything new found in the water and it points back to the new facility, I suspect it would turn out like the Monty Python Parrot sketch.. The water has contaminates in it.... government..."no it doesn't" and back and forth we go...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Former Mayor, David Gregory wrote a letter to the editor last week outlining concerns regarding this proposal's proximity to our drinking water reservoir.
https://www.summerlandreview.com/letter ... ic-health/

And that's just one of the problems associated with this proposal. Smell, traffic, rat attractants, toursim impacts (KVR Train)... the list goes on. And I also question the need or wisdom of a proposal that will transport food waste all the way from Keremeos and Osoyoos to the northern reach of the RDOS in Summerland. As citizens, we are encouraged to shop local, eat local etc. Should we also be disposing local? Or moving toward a more zero waste model? Encourage backyard composting of food waste? It seems like we are thinking as if this project NEEDs to be put somewhere. Maybe not?? Maybe the facility is a bad idea to begin with.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

RandyDandy wrote:If not wanting to drink sewage makes me a NIMBY, fine! I'm a NIMBY. There are underground rivers up there, did you know?
I've seen one, at the bottom of a mineshaft. This is not just heresay. First hand experience.

exactly how the folks by quesnel lake feel et al mt polley. pollution should never be allowed
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Someone suggested the old Brenda Mines site. Best suggestion thus far, IMHO. Why put this stinkin' (literally) facillity anywhere near where people live?

Return to “South Okanagan”