Penticton: struggling to attract families?

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Penticton: struggling to attract families?

Post by fluffy »

seewood wrote:Still going to have rental issues with low wages and the value of a building now a days and the rate of return on that investment plus taxes, insurance and the ongoing maintenance with the rental unit. Let alone the constant threat of dealing with lousy tenants and inevitable head banging exercise of dealing with the RTB.

That's the meat of it there. Market forces are pushing rents higher and higher as property owners look for adequate returns to cover the cost of buying these days. This makes it doubly hard for those without the means to purchase. Some form of subsidized housing could take the pressure off somewhat, but that begs the question of just how much responsibility local government has to provide housing for those of limited means? We may see minimum wage employers simply unable to keep staff if they can't afford to live here. Sort of like the "boomtown" phenomenon that saw places like Fort McMurray offering twenty bucks an hour for someone to pour coffee at Tim Hortons.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

fluffy wrote:
seewood wrote:Still going to have rental issues with low wages and the value of a building now a days and the rate of return on that investment plus taxes, insurance and the ongoing maintenance with the rental unit. Let alone the constant threat of dealing with lousy tenants and inevitable head banging exercise of dealing with the RTB.

That's the meat of it there. Market forces are pushing rents higher and higher as property owners look for adequate returns to cover the cost of buying these days. This makes it doubly hard for those without the means to purchase. Some form of subsidized housing could take the pressure off somewhat, but that begs the question of just how much responsibility local government has to provide housing for those of limited means? We may see minimum wage employers simply unable to keep staff if they can't afford to live here. Sort of like the "boomtown" phenomenon that saw places like Fort McMurray offering twenty bucks an hour for someone to pour coffee at Tim Hortons.

I know I'm working for about half what is make in Alberta or anywhere else . It's tuff here
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

We may see minimum wage employers simply unable to keep staff if they can't afford to live here. Sort of like the "boomtown" phenomenon that saw places like Fort McMurray offering twenty bucks an hour for someone to pour coffee at Tim Hortons.

Years ago I read an article regarding the fire fighters in Aspen Colorado finding affordable accommodation something like 80 miles away. The RCMP in Whistler had to purchase several houses so they could maintain a presence in the municipality. Extreme examples I know. The 45-1.5 hour commute in the lower mainland as people are pushed further out in the valley is becoming more and more common. Squamish is now a bedroom community of Whistler and Vancouver as house prices are about half or less of what Van and Whistler has to offer.....still outrageous at 1 mill + for a detached house.
Perhaps over time, more people will be flocking to OK Falls, Ollala and Keremeous for housing and commuting as many are today.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

^^ Further to above. You'd be shocked at what housing in the bedroom communities of Penticton cost, they really aren't that much less expensive even if you're willing to commute
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It's still a little cheaper in outlying areas but as has been mentioned in most cases you're just trading a piece of your mortgage payment for a gasoline bill. More and more home buying is becoming a game for those who are fairly well off to start with.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Any mention anywhere on the mayors foolish spending habits causing him to declare personal bankruptcy to the tune of 160k in a forum I missed?
Sounds like the mayor was struggling before being elected and getting a job.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

fall wrote:Sounds like the mayor was struggling before being elected and getting a job.

Bit of a topic change but I agree. No shortage of city politicians needing a job so off they go....municipal and then trying for provincial or Federal.
Believe it was Ivan Messmer who lost the mayor's chair so went into provincial politics( needed a job) but the Socreds had just one riding in the area so they gerry mandered another riding to give Ivan a short lived seat in the legislature. Got punted when the NDP came in and resurrected the old riding boundaries...

Ashton, Albas, recent examples without much of a track record in the private sector.
Not sure what Saheed did before but likely could not find something comparable in Penticton, but politics has a pretty good pay packet with benefits.
Personally, digressing again,... but perhaps politicians should have a maximum of sitting for two or maybe three, election periods.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... l?mode=jqm

Didn't want to start a separate topic, can't believe no mention of this from the regulars.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Maybe they don't share your lust for kicking somebody when they're down.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

He is up now, has a job that generates some steady income ( for the time being).
Who would want a successful Mayor that is wise with finances anyway?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

fall wrote:He is up now, has a job that generates some steady income ( for the time being).

I truly hope he went for the mayor's chair for the right reason. You're comment "for the time being" is apropos as I don't believe he would be elected for a second term. Too many screw ups.

Tough to be self employed in Penticton, or anywhere really for that matter, no shortage of completion.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

The South Okanagan is a tougher place to be self employed, no doubt about that.
Not a lot of great paying jobs either.
Welfare and senior town for many.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

fall wrote:The South Okanagan is a tougher place to be self employed, no doubt about that.
Not a lot of great paying jobs either.
Welfare and senior town for many.

So help me understand why they all stay?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Was working in the peach city today and all this week . Nice to be back in penticton
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:So help me understand why they all stay?

That would depend who you mean by "they". If it's a general, all-inclusive "they", then they don't all stay. We have been hemorrhaging blue collar trades and aspiring young professionals for years. Whether it be to Kelowna, Vancouver or Alberta, the reason is the same, opportunities are limited here.

Return to “South Okanagan”