Roadside Memorials - What do you think?

ToddT
Übergod

Re: Roadside Memorials - What do you think?

Post by ToddT »

That leans on the fairly asinine side of the argument I think. Unlike a gravestone, a memorial marks the last place a person was alive. It is a healthy way for loved ones to mourn, and show love for those they have lost. Anyone that has issue with that is cold *bleep*.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Healthy to grieve on the side of a road??? Yes that makes sense.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Bunnyhop wrote:I don't mind seeing roadside memorials at all. They remind me to be a little bit more careful, as someone else lost their life in that spot. If the memorial comforts their loved ones a little, that's great. I've never seen one that I thought was offensive or inappropriate. Whatever helps someone in their grief.

This is basically it.

Although gixxer has a point too.

I'm willing to let those grieve their own way, as I would hope they do the same for me. But for me, it wouldn't be roadside. (See my thoughts in traffic threads etc)

I'm for the care of memorial thoughts.
There's that one strapped at 97 and Daimler that just looks awful, been there for a few years now from that motor bike fatality. It doesn't remind me of anything other than it looks terrible.

Grieve sure, but after a few years keep your memories close but at some point we all have to move on.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Wondering how many of these roadside Memorials are a result of speeding, if a large amount are what senseless deaths and totally avoidable.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

GordonH wrote:Wondering how many of these roadside Memorials are a result of speeding, if a large amount are what senseless deaths and totally avoidable.
all are totally unavoidable, however, to err is human.

From how I understand the physics, above the limit, aside from excessive, really plays not much part. 80 or 90, 90 or 100, the G's won't change that much. That's how injury and fatalities are measured, in G's when it comes to this. When they say speed kills? It's a bit of a lie. from what I understand about this, only excessive is true. I think most injuries are at intersections, and fatalities? A head on at 80 or 120, the odds are slim :(
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

I understand the sentiment and even the idea that roadside memorials engender, but ultimately they serve as yet another driving distraction, an addition to highways already cluttered with "information", whether commercially intended or government road directions. Simply put, there is soooo much signage that it creates hazards. Summerland is an example of "signage disease" that has gotten totally out of control. There comes a point where people just ignore all signage because it becomes unsafe to read them and drive at the same time. Oops! Darn it...I dropped my cellphone on the floor of my car. "NO SPITTING".

Return to “South Okanagan”