Taxi's, Cab's Penticton

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Taxi's, Cab's Penticton

Post by southy »

Opeeved wrote:For example, southy. I thought i had got this across already. Expecting a business to pay the banking fees of a person so they don't have to stop at a bank to get some cash, and then complain about a business that doesn't carry debit. Ya ya I get he asked for a debit cab, he obviously planned ahead to drink and not drive, but whined when he couldn't pay with plastic. Didn't plan well enough it seems. What would he havE done if there was a communication error within system?

Or how about this. Expecting a hardware store to accept an areoplan visa to the tune of $1000 for the free points, even though the business has to pay 2% on that$1000 just for the privilege of the consumers patronage. How's that for entitlement. Free stuff paid for by the business. I thought you said you owned a business. You're honestly telling me thats the cost of doing business? So some guy gets free trips at your expense? Or can't stop at an atm?

If I'm going out for drinks,I got cash in my pocket. If nothing else, just in case

Yup! Used my MasterCard buying groceries yesterday too. Got Airmiles with it. Then used my Airmiles card as well. Thinking a trip to Phoenix in January would be nice. Yes will use those air miles I've EARNED by shopping at participating businesses. After all I am entitled to them. Here's a tip for you Opeeved. Next time you are approached by a pan handler .. Stop look them in the eye and say ... Sorry don't carry cash just my debit card. I also have a question for you - do you own a business or have owned a business and are simply bitter about the cost of doing business in the year 2017??? Just curious because you can't seem to let this entitlement issue go.
feverspore

Post by feverspore »

Cabbies are not too bright so it is better to be prepared than to rely on them to get it right.

Wow. And you don't even know me.

I have driven cab in Penticton for upwards of 12 years now and the bottom line is nobody in this forum has any of the facts.

Uber would never make it (nor would they even try) in a town as small as Penticton so please forget that idea.

Secondly, have any of you ever made a mistake? Apparently not.

Third. Cabbies do not get paychecks. And the driver in the OP was likely irritated by the whole mess as well, having to look the fool AND wasting the fuel to get a customer who didn't have cash. Oh but who cares about him, he's not too bright anyway, right?

Just...wow
my10cents

Post by my10cents »

feverspore wrote:
Cabbies are not too bright so it is better to be prepared than to rely on them to get it right.

Wow. And you don't even know me.

I have driven cab in Penticton for upwards of 12 years now and the bottom line is nobody in this forum has any of the facts.

Uber would never make it (nor would they even try) in a town as small as Penticton so please forget that idea.

Secondly, have any of you ever made a mistake? Apparently not.

Third. Cabbies do not get paychecks. And the driver in the OP was likely irritated by the whole mess as well, having to look the fool AND wasting the fuel to get a customer who didn't have cash. Oh but who cares about him, he's not too bright anyway, right?

Just...wow

I SUPPORT CABBIES -WELL SAID!!!! these guys work very hard long hours. How would YOU like to sit in a cab for 12 hours a day, driving all sorts of people who you don't know around? it's also a thankless and sometimes dangerous job. So the next time you decide to put cabbies down - think about what I said. Maybe you should try it for a day and night!! :130:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Personally, I look forward to when I can hail an Uber ride on my phone and not pay a middle man to dispatch calls that rarely show up on time even when requested in advance. The taxi model is a dinosaur and all the cab companies have to do to prevent Uber from taking over is abandon that old model, adopt current tech, and provide a service that is good instead of the crap we have here.
The sole reason Uber has flourished is because they have reduced the overheads of the traditional taxi business and that means cheaper fares for a ride. The old model makes the owner of the cab company rich while the drivers barely make a living. And when the gov't controlled how many cab licenses were to be doled out, they created an oligopoly where a license to operate a cab became worth absurd money......sometimes....depending on the market......hundreds of thousands of dollars. That was the price for a cab license in Vancouver just a few years ago and why those cab companies are screaming that Uber is unsafe. They are just trying to protect their investment. But just like the manufacturers of buggy whips that did not see the automobile coming, should we be forced to pay more for a service or product because an industry did not see the obvious writing on the wall?
Telus didn't invent cell phones either. But instead of lobbying the public to preserve wired land lines, they recognized and adapted to the change. And they are still in business.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
theseeker
Fledgling

Post by theseeker »

twobits wrote:
Opeeved wrote:*removed* Lazy self entitled don't care about anyone else. That cab that showed up? Made another person Wait, who is just as important as the op. Oh wait, screw everyone else, they can wait for a ride, while he gets out and screws over cabbies paycheque. Lazy self entitled self absorbed bs.

Got a problem with the company? Take it up with them. Dont make another working stiff pay for one's own laziness.

All I can say about your post is WOW!!

While it is true that it is a business's prerogative in offering up the acceptance of electronic payment and it's associated costs, it is also the paying customers prerogative in how they wish to or are able to pay. Many people do not carry any cash for fear of loss or safety reasons. And if I enter a business or call for a service with the clear understanding that I have only plastic to pay with and then am later told "sorry, cash only", I have been lied to and deceived and hardly a lazy self entitled person. I can respect a business's decision because of cost to not offer electronic payment but I cannot respect a business that lies or deceives me until I am captive in a cab or at the till with the goods I have just wasted my time collecting and then suggest I just run to the bank to consummate the purchase.
IMO, the OP did the correct thing and stopped the transaction as soon as he realized the scam/error. One thing I would like to know from the OP is if the replacement cab was the same or a different company. If it was the same company it would appear that perhaps some cabs worked on the books and others off books. Maybe it was even the cab company that has it's bank accounts currently frozen by CRA. Ya know who they are right? The working stiffs that make sure unscrupulous business's aren't being lazy in reporting true income. They aren't really too interested in the people that are too lazy to go to a bank machine to pay the unscrupulous business's in "cash only".
I'll share a little tip with ya too. Small retail and small service businesses are actually smart and better off accepting electronic payment even with the associated cost. This is true for a number of reasons but the primary reason is the reduction of fraudulent cheques. One bounced cheque a month pays for the debit machine.

It was the same company
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

theseeker wrote:
It was the same company

Which makes their response to your request even more pathetic since they were already debit card enabled. There goes the argument from the poster that called you "entitled" for incurring costs on the business.
Like I said in a previous post....can't wait for Uber to be available to kick these lazy (how do I politically correctly say) non english speaking extortionists in the butt. But when you do work for them.....the price is somehow negotiable after the job is done. Gonna see how that works after my next cab ride and report them to CRA.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”