Head-on crash kills woman

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Head-on crash kills woman

Post by fall »

Would seniors mistaking the gas pedal for the brake and ploughing into a building be part of their stats?
I wonder how many " hit and runs" are caused by seniors because they legitimately had no idea they hit something.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

fluffy wrote:I’ll give you points for persistence but the stats simply do not support the thought that older drivers have more accidents than younger ones.

What a pleasant way to tell somebody they're being a pest. :biggrin:

I have lived in many places and find that Penticton has a very unique driving situation. I'm used to it now but it did take some time. I do have to say I prefer the traffic here way more than the traffic in Kelowna or most anywhere in the LM. Those places are scary.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

What a way to leave for the family and children of the poor, deceased, woman, this forum has left as a legacy for all of them to read for all eternity.

Absolutely disgusting, I only hope that your loved ones, for generations to come, have the same experience.

This poor woman died, she did not hurt, maim, or kill anyone else. Let her be and show some sort of respect for her still living family.
Bring back the LIKE button.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fall wrote:I wonder how many " hit and runs" are caused by seniors because they legitimately had no idea they hit something.

I wonder how many hit and runs are committed by sub 25 yr olds that know they hit something but f off anyway because they know they can get away with it cuz there ain't no witness.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

alanjh595 wrote:What a way to leave for the family and children of the poor, deceased, woman, this forum has left as a legacy for all of them to read for all eternity.

Absolutely disgusting, I only hope that your loved ones, for generations to come, have the same experience.

This poor woman died, she did not hurt, maim, or kill anyone else. Let her be and show some sort of respect for her still living family.

Sad she died at the hands of an elderly driver Disgusting that this person was allowed to drive and kill an innocent person. People die everyday, every second actually. I have no time to be sad for everyone of them.
I am not sorry for being uncaring. This could have been much worse if the driver had hit another car while driving across the road completely uncontrolled. But I guess if someone else was killed it would be different. Maybe it will be someone you love that is killed by someone like this. Curious if you'll be so sanctimonious.
The biggest disgust is your wanting my innocent loved ones to die, forever in time, by an elderly driver. What a disgusting thing to say. Nowhere has anyone shown any bad thoughts to the victim. Making statements that are not true is disgusting.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

JagXKR wrote:
Sad she died at the hands of an elderly driver Disgusting that this person was allowed to drive and kill an innocent person.

What is disgusting here more than anything is your vitriol for senior drivers. Your pigeon holing of all seniors being incompetent drivers is disgusting.
Had it been a 25 yo that crossed the center line because they were texting their BFF, would you also say it was disgusting that this person was allowed to drive? And if you answer in the affirmative, how do we screen these people with mandatory medicals to ensure they do not text and cross the center line?
It seems likely to me that you have a huge hate on for senior drivers cuz they do the speed limit in general and don't get out of your way as fast as you would like.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote:
What is disgusting here more than anything is your vitriol for senior drivers. Your pigeon holing of all seniors being incompetent drivers is disgusting.
Had it been a 25 yo that crossed the center line because they were texting their BFF, would you also say it was disgusting that this person was allowed to drive? And if you answer in the affirmative, how do we screen these people with mandatory medicals to ensure they do not text and cross the center line?
It seems likely to me that you have a huge hate on for senior drivers cuz they do the speed limit in general and don't get out of your way as fast as you would like.

I agree 100%. I've yet to see a Senior texting or on a cel phone while driving. Sure they have occasionally mixed up the brake and gas pedals; it has happened but most of them are a lot more careful drivers than today's youth and many middle agers who take chances constantly.
OkanaganBookkeeper

Post by OkanaganBookkeeper »

Condolences to the family. I agree for mandatory road testing every five years after age 65.

Dan Barkman
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

kelowna_proud wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-209917-21-.htm#209917

I drive all over the Okanagan as a Truck Driver. The younger folk drive faster and are impatient but god these seniors on the road are the worst for sure. Launching into building, crossing the center-line, weaving all over the road, coming at you the wrong way, and sitting a green lights for 20 seconds before realizing its green.

65 They they should need a full class 5, driver's exam!

I agree the elderly should take a driver's exam - but 65 is not elderly IMHO!! I believe you are nowhere near that age or you would know that, and perhaps when you do turn 65 we should chat again and I'll ask you if, other than maybe some arthritis acting up in joints sometimes, you perceive yourself to be "elderly"! At 65 you are a "senior" yes - because that's the label that was years ago stuck on that age. Being 65 meant "retirement" and of course back in those days only the "seniors" retired.

Being 65 in this day and age is, like the saying goes, "the new 50". I'm betting you are nowhere near 50 either!

I truly know several 65 year olds who could probably still mop the floor with you lol! And I'm only joking a little bit - the ones I refer to are far more fit - mentally and physically, than probably you or I!

70 - 75 is the age the testing should begin.

Now, as to the "young'uns".....speed, goofing off with their passengers, cell phones in their faces constantly, no signals......that's what I've observed but again, not from all of them, just the bad drivers in the bunch!

I think you are probably pickin up what I am laying down here - stop "labelling" - there are bad older drivers, there are bad young drivers, but "65" is only "senior" by label - not reality.

65 is too young to be driver tested for reflex or mental capacity. When the news article says a "senior" or an "elderly" person was driving - they don't mention the age normally but when they do you will note that it is more than likely to be 80+.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

kelowna_proud wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-209917-21-.htm#209917

I drive all over the Okanagan as a Truck Driver. The younger folk drive faster and are impatient but god these seniors on the road are the worst for sure. Launching into building, crossing the center-line, weaving all over the road, coming at you the wrong way, and sitting a green lights for 20 seconds before realizing its green.

65 They they should need a full class 5, driver's exam!

dle wrote:I agree the elderly should take a driver's exam - but 65 is not elderly IMHO!! I believe you are nowhere near that age or you would know that, and perhaps when you do turn 65 we should chat again and I'll ask you if, other than maybe some arthritis acting up in joints sometimes, you perceive yourself to be "elderly"! At 65 you are a "senior" yes - because that's the label that was years ago stuck on that age. Being 65 meant "retirement" and of course back in those days only the "seniors" retired.

Being 65 in this day and age is, like the saying goes, "the new 50". I'm betting you are nowhere near 50 either!

I truly know several 65 year olds who could probably still mop the floor with you lol! And I'm only joking a little bit - the ones I refer to are far more fit - mentally and physically, than probably you or I!

70 - 75 is the age the testing should begin.

Now, as to the "young'uns".....speed, goofing off with their passengers, cell phones in their faces constantly, no signals......that's what I've observed but again, not from all of them, just the bad drivers in the bunch!

I think you are probably pickin up what I am laying down here - stop "labelling" - there are bad older drivers, there are bad young drivers, but "65" is only "senior" by label - not reality.

65 is too young to be driver tested for reflex or mental capacity. When the news article says a "senior" or an "elderly" person was driving - they don't mention the age normally but when they do you will note that it is more than likely to be 80+.

The thing is that as we age certain parts of our body deteriorate. There is no magical age that this happens at. I've seen folks that are water skiing at the age of 80 and then I've seen people at the age of 60 in dementia care. What needs to happen is that the driving license authorities need to tie in to medical records, or at the very least medical professionals should be forced to report any infirmities directly affecting driving abilities.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Anonymous wrote:

The thing is that as we age certain parts of our body deteriorate. There is no magical age that this happens at. I've seen folks that are water skiing at the age of 80 and then I've seen people at the age of 60 in dementia care. What needs to happen is that the driving license authorities need to tie in to medical records, or at the very least medical professionals should be forced to report any infirmities directly affecting driving abilities.

Yes, medical condition is actually the only sensible way to gauge when driving testing should be done. It would make more sense to require all people at age 60 who have a driver's licence to get a physical and the results reported to DMV or whatever they call themselves these days. If something is amiss then a decision on what to do about driving should be made. I also believe that there is no "set" age for anything in health matters/life - other that what is dictated by law - it is what it is - that's why labeling someone because of an age "number" doesn't quite track.

I think most of us are "guilty" in our youth (in my book that is up to 50!) of condemning the over 50 set to the rocking chairs and geritol without another thought - once we reach 50 and beyond, and if we do so in good health, we realize we made a big oops in that judgment!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A lot of "kids" these days aren't looking at "seniors" with the same eyes as done in my youth. Maybe it's because so many over the age of 50 are actually looking after themselves better, able to do and want to do things with the younger crowd. No more rocking in the chair knitting by the fire when the outdoors is saying "come get me". It's ridiculous to think medical conditions can't affect all ages when accidents occur. I agree labelling an age group doesn't help solve the problem of accidents. Was a medical condition of the 72 year old determined?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have type 2 diabetes and an required to get a physical every year for ICBC.

So it's happening now but probably not enough.

Having said that every time a car is drifting into my lane or coming towards me it is always a younger person on their phone.

At least the old farts drive slow so when they hit you they don't do much damage. (yes I'm getting there. lol)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Bsuds wrote:I have type 2 diabetes and an required to get a physical every year for ICBC.

So it's happening now but probably not enough.

Having said that every time a car is drifting into my lane or coming towards me it is always a younger person on their phone.

At least the old farts drive slow so when they hit you they don't do much damage. (yes I'm getting there. lol)

A friend (much older :D ) sent me a birthday card that said "Don't think of us as old - just think of us as flower children gone to seed!" I certainly don't feel like I've reached "seedy" yet but it's a fun way of looking at what's to come in the way off distant future!

We are much "younger" at certain ages now than people were 20 years ago!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

JagXKR wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:What a way to leave for the family and children of the poor, deceased, woman, this forum has left as a legacy for all of them to read for all eternity.

Sad she died at the hands of an elderly driver Disgusting that this person was allowed to drive and kill an innocent person. People die everyday, every second actually. I have no time to be sad for everyone of them.
I am not sorry for being uncaring. This could have been much worse if the driver had hit another car while driving across the road completely uncontrolled. But I guess if someone else was killed it would be different. Maybe it will be someone you love that is killed by someone like this. Curious if you'll be so sanctimonious.
The biggest disgust is your wanting my innocent loved ones to die, forever in time, by an elderly driver. What a disgusting thing to say. Nowhere has anyone shown any bad thoughts to the victim. Making statements that are not true is disgusting.

How about the ones who die from being hit by someone yakking on their cell phone? Drunk? Stoned? Speeding? Distracted? Cars not being in proper street repair? Passing when unsafe to do so? The list goes on....are those poor souls any less dead because it wasn't who was termed an "elderly" driver involved?

I agree with you - "making statements that are not true is disgusting" so you might want to re-think some of yours too....

Return to “South Okanagan”