Mayor Jak to seek re-election

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Mayor Jak to seek re-election

Post by fall »

It’s penticton people. Not a very big place at all. Isn’t it all kind of your backyard, North or South. House people wherever, they will spread out anyway.
I could roll a bowling ball down Main Street from North to South.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

fluffy wrote:I suppose that's one way to look at it Madhue, but not one I'd agree with. Mr. Picton landed in the middle of this due to political inexperience. His poor choice of words to describe feelings shared by a great many Pentictonites left an avenue of argument open to Mr. Baran where none existed before. He played the "poor me" card on the part of Penticton's homeless as he knew darn well the Main & Green location had more cons than pros. Cheap tactics. In principle the idea has merit, but choosing a site will be a tangled mess.

So your argument is to play the ‘poor me card’ for Picton? Lol
At anytime following that original statement Picton could have pulled back from that point... Mr. Baran and others who write letters two weeks after made a stink about it... then Picton said it was a poor choice of words.

If you followed Picton he was trying to come off as informed and well educated on the matter locally, when in fact he hasn’t been. That’s not inexperienced that was deciptful or pandering. Either way he’s demonstrated he’s in depths beyond what this City needs for representation.

Like I said before the site selected was on the bubble of being reasonable. It was a stretch but within a working scope.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Madhue wrote: I would say yes there is a resource within that distance from my door. Fact is there is throughout most of downtown Penticton.

Picton was doing nothing more than using cheap pandering coupled with fear mongering in hopes to solicit votes. He has admitted he has no time for meetings on such things.

That being said Your position amplifies the value of a supervised resource vs status quo. Cause what’s happening is clearly not working. Only way to evoke change is to make changes.... not excuses.

Supervised? This is the song sold to the neighbours of the Hansel aka Sunrise. While they watch the residents of sunrise rifle their property.

The Penticton and District Society for Community Living was selected to manage and operate Skaha Sunrise Apartments, including the 45 suites. Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) – South Okanagan Similkameen Branch provides on-site support services including a community kitchen program funded by the Province and Interior Health Authority.

“Our mission is to promote healthy lifestyles and provide much-needed health services in a timely, caring and efficient manner,” said Rob Kushner, director South Okanagan Mental Health and Addictions Services, Interior Health. “We are meeting our mission by partnering with local organizations including CMHA to provide much-needed services to our clients.”

“We have been providing support services to the Penticton area for over 50 years,” said Tony Laing, executive director of Penticton and District Society for Community Living. “This partnership with the Province and the CMAH – South Okanagan Similkameen Branch will further help members of our community facing a range of challenges by providing access to secure and affordable housing.”

Ths sure sounds like a safe project to have in your neighbourhood.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

I drove by there today and saw a large black fence around the property. Is that to keep people in or out?
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

twobits wrote:
Ths sure sounds like a safe project to have in your neighbourhood.

Paint everyone with the same brush? Guess that makes sense. However, google Ask Wellness and read their track record. Compare apples to apples.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Picton is a non issue, being used by some as a distraction. I don't know what Mr. Baran hoped to gain by taking council to task for the comments of one inexperienced member, I just don't care for his tactics. Is he trying to shame them into supporting this project? Good luck, this location is unlikely to gain any significant public support and let's face it, these are politicians and it's an election year. The math is not complicated.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

fluffy wrote:Picton is a non issue, being used by some as a distraction. I don't know what Mr. Baran hoped to gain by taking council to task for the comments of one inexperienced member, I just don't care for his tactics. Is he trying to shame them into supporting this project? Good luck, this location is unlikely to gain any significant public support and let's face it, these are politicians and it's an election year. The math is not complicated.

I think you’d need to take that up with Baran.

However Picton lack of experience or investment in the issue seems relevant. Your apoginiltic attitude towards a mayor and council that have taken a back seat to several issues Penticton has been forced to deal with is a bigger issue. Seems like this group is desperately lacking in both direction and investment. I am glad however that Picton has recently found himself being misquoted in his running for mayor. Hopefully he will be misrepresented again in his pursuit of a chair at the council table.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Nah, I just don’t have particularly high expectations from politicians on contentious issues, especially with an election on the horizon. Nor do I expect any outpouring of social conscience from the bulk of Penticton residents. I don’t know about you, but my track record for getting everyone to do things my way is pretty dismal, so I just forgo the frustration.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

fluffy wrote:Nah, I just don’t have particularly high expectations from politicians on contentious issues, especially with an election on the horizon. Nor do I expect any outpouring of social conscience from the bulk of Penticton residents. I don’t know about you, but my track record for getting everyone to do things my way is pretty dismal, so I just forgo the frustration.

Must be tough being an eternal optimist.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Madhue wrote:However Picton lack of experience or investment in the issue seems relevant. Your apoginiltic attitude towards a mayor and council that have taken a back seat to several issues Penticton has been forced to deal with is a bigger issue. Seems like this group is desperately lacking in both direction and investment. I am glad however that Picton has recently found himself being misquoted in his running for mayor. Hopefully he will be misrepresented again in his pursuit of a chair at the council table.

Finally, something we agree on.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Madhue wrote:Your apoginiltic attitude...

Apoginiltic? Well, same to you with knobs on it.

You seem to be stewing for a scrap here, but it's just not going to happen. It's a bad location and that's all there is to it. There will never be enough support to make it fly in that part of town so if it is going to happen it will have to be forced on them and this council has made their position clear. Now perhaps if you can get a slate of homeless people elected this fall....
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

fluffy wrote:
Madhue wrote:Your apoginiltic attitude...

Apoginiltic? Well, same to you with knobs on it.

You seem to be stewing for a scrap here, but it's just not going to happen. It's a bad location and that's all there is to it. There will never be enough support to make it fly in that part of town so if it is going to happen it will have to be forced on them and this council has made their position clear. Now perhaps if you can get a slate of homeless people elected this fall....

Apologist, sorry. I have yet to come out of full force support of the location saying only that it was on the envelope, but within reason. Yet you keep flogging that horse thinking some how you’ve taken ground each time...
That’s far from my largest issue, my statements on council is that they are innofective, lacking in commitment, vision and as you point out experience. I think that’s a fair topic worthy of discussion, rather than hyperbole and red herring claims.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

If you want t trash current council you don't need me to do that with you, there are a few here who love that topic. Its kind of a sore spot with me that Canadian politics at every level has turned into a game of "turf the incumbents" without much thought as to who is going to replace them or what policies they will bring to the table. In a town as divided at Penticton no matter what council does there will be people behind them and people crying for their heads. Much of it comes down to what each of us sees as a desirable future for the town. I don't mind that current council has dumped some bucks on downtown beautification, the timing fit with much needed infrastructure upgrades and like it or not tourism has, is, and will be an important part of our local economy. I'd like to see job opportunities improve, but that's a problem that has been around for decades, nothing you can blame on current council.

Election time is always interesting, I'm eager to hear what the contenders have to say and I'll take it from there. Forcing change just for sake of change doesn't strike me as particularly wise unless you're pretty sure you''re making a change for the better.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Trash current council Fluff? At every opportunity THEY give me. Thanks for noticing.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Oh Fluffy, it’s not current Canadian Politics it’s Pentictons history of civic elections, Penticton has a habit of simply not re-electing mayors. In fact I think it’s only happened a handful of times.
But let’s review this current group... they came on to the scene as a youthful batch on the platform of shedding the whole ‘old school play it safe’ agenda. And in a few short years they watered down very quickly to status quo. Choosing to avoid hard choices and taking a stance. Whatever way the winds blow they bend. That’s not how a municipality moves forward.... that’s how stagnation breeds... and issues remain for another term coupled with newer ones.

Return to “South Okanagan”