Mayor Jak to seek re-election

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Mayor Jak to seek re-election

Post by fluffy »

Can you be a little more specific on the “hard choices” they have avoided?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

fluffy wrote:Can you be a little more specific on the “hard choices” they have avoided?

Sure, housing issues. Homelessness. Growing deer population.
We see city take a very limited stance in dealing with these issues rather they take weak stance that has not seen a resolution to these issues.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

So you’re *bleep* that they’re not out there appeasing the minority? That’s not how democracy works my friend.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

Madhue wrote:Sure, housing issues. Homelessness. Growing deer population.
We see city take a very limited stance in dealing with these issues rather they take weak stance that has not seen a resolution to these issues.

I would agree with you about the urban deer problem but not entirely agree about homelessness.

With the exception of the location of the latest proposed development the City has approved the locations of the 5 other BC Housing related projects either completed our currently underway. They have also shown fairly good tolerance for the Martin St. clinic despite the fact many local business strongly object to that location.

I would also point out that Vancouver who has a Mayor that made it his election priority to solve the homeless problem is now not running again and there is actually more homeless then when he first started despite his sincere efforts to make a difference. It is not as easy a problem as many would have us believe.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

CTF wrote:I would agree with you about the urban deer problem but not entirely agree about homelessness.

With the exception of the location of the latest proposed development the City has approved the locations of the 5 other BC Housing related projects either completed our currently underway. They have also shown fairly good tolerance for the Martin St. clinic despite the fact many local business strongly object to that location.

What is this Martin Street Clinic that you mentioned? I know not of anything like a clinic on that street.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

CTF wrote:
I would agree with you about the urban deer problem but not entirely agree about homelessness.

I would also point out that Vancouver who has a Mayor that made it his election priority to solve the homeless problem is now not running again and there is actually more homeless then when he first started despite his sincere efforts to make a difference. It is not as easy a problem as many would have us believe.

Homeless is on the rise throughout the nation. Think that’s why both the feds and the province are trying to address it, CoP has taken a back seat to the issue. Limited supports but let’s be realistic they’ve stated clearly they don’t want to be invested and rather focus on infrastructure.

fluffy wrote:So you’re *bleep* that they’re not out there appeasing the minority? That’s not how democracy works my friend.
actually it is how governments work, and just so you know we don’t live in a true democracy, that’s simply mob rule.

We elect people into civic leadership to lead... When elected individuals are ‘intimidated’ by the population they serve and don’t act in the best interest of the Corpration they’re actually violating the BC municipality act section 212-5. by not allowing their private interests to sway how they conduct themselves on public matters.

In other words if they’re interest is to simply be re-elected and they surcumb to the popular arguments in the self serving need to be re-elected vs what’s in the best interest of the community ... they’re in breach of their Oath.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

So we are in search of the unicorn of politicians, a person of vision, strength and honour. I’d love to see one of those on the ballot. Forgive me if the thirty or forty years I’ve already waited has left me a little cynical.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Madhue wrote:
We elect people into civic leadership to lead... When elected individuals are ‘intimidated’ by the population they serve and don’t act in the best interest of the Corpration they’re actually violating the BC municipality act section 212-5. by not allowing their private interests to sway how they conduct themselves on public matters.

In other words if they’re interest is to simply be re-elected and they surcumb to the popular arguments in the self serving need to be re-elected vs what’s in the best interest of the community ... they’re in breach of their Oath.

Am going to give you a chance to review and edit/repost that addled comment.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”