Hwy 3A Closure - Road Reopened?

twobits
Guru

Re: Hwy 3A Closure - Road Reopened?

Post by twobits »

Dawnland wrote:Yes, and your point? I can recommend that you jump off a bridge, but it doesn't mean you have to.
The Band can recommend but Argo and MOTI have the say-so.

So something has changed since Stewart and camo gang blocked the road?? Sorry for that cheap shot but you did set yourself up for it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

Yeah Twobits, cheap and easy.
Protocols, consultation, responsibilities and working towards a mutual goal; protecting people and infrastructure for all to use.
That's why this "old school" crap is so boring.
The three levels of government and service providers have worked so hard since those days, only to have that turning point in our growth be seen as a bad thing. Without those struggles, we wouldn't have the regulative processes in place we have today. Our intergovernmental service agreements are a model for other communities. But yeah, that struggle was a "bad" thing.
Sure enough, we have room to grow and it's not going to happen when our closest neighbours propagate dispute rather than engage in mutually respectful dialogue to make the community better for the kids and expanding development opportunities.
sundancer1bc

Post by sundancer1bc »

Thanks for the info and update Dawnland
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

So that's why a friend of mine coming in from Princeton as told at the turn off to Green Mountain Road by a aboriginal woman holding a stop sign that "the road is closed to traffic heading to Penticton", turned them around and told them to go through Osoyoos. Maybe, and I'm just saying maybe, there is some individuals in the PIB that are doing this on their own. Maybe the Chief should investigate and stop this. If there wasn't a flag person there (NOT MOT or Argo flag person), there wouldn't be a problem. Maybe a professional made sign saying please be cautious and share the road with bikes and joggers would suffice.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

What happens when Highway 97 near Oliver is closed due to Sportsman Bowl area flooding? I know what I would tell that woman on Green Mtn Rd. Not printable on this forum that is for sure.

“A dam and a culvert above Secrest Hill Rd are in danger of releasing water and debris into Sportmens Bowl Rd., across Highway 97 and down Park Rill Creek for several kilometres,” the evacuation alert reads.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... evac-alert

How about the band telling that woman to get the hell out of there? This is an unusual event and the cooperation from the band would go a long way to proving that words are not just useless but have iron.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

The Band has not received any information from MOTI or ARGO or even the membership, that anyone has turned anyone away or directed them to go around. Tony, if your friend would like to call the FN RCMP member, Mike Rampone at the Penticton detachment to provide a description, that incident could be investigated. The Chief is not responsible for "investigating" instances of mischief.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Looks like the highway has reopened, albeit to single lane traffic. No need to rely on the goodness of anyone else while the chips were down.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/223895/Highway-3A-reopened

UPDATE: 2:20 p.m.

Highway 3A has partially reopened after being closed for more than four full days due to a mudslide.

The section of highway, 18.5 kilometres east of Keremeos, is open to single lane alternating traffic.

A heavy mudslide swamped the roadway and spilled into Yellow Lake at about 7 a.m. on Friday.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Dawnland wrote:The Band has not received any information from MOTI or ARGO or even the membership, that anyone has turned anyone away or directed them to go around. Tony, if your friend would like to call the FN RCMP member, Mike Rampone at the Penticton detachment to provide a description, that incident could be investigated. The Chief is not responsible for "investigating" instances of mischief.

Sorry Dawland but I was also blocked at 3a junction and know several others that were as well if they could not prove residency access. This is a prime example of your own bands dysfunction and control over militants who choose to enforce rights.
Report it? Who would bother because nothing ever changes.
I would ponder you this instead. In a critical time such as this, why does the Band not have it's own paid reps at the Green Mtn choke points restricting heavy vehicles for road sustainability reasons and just let joe public travel through?I got turned away in a half ton pickup.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I was under the impression that over at that junction of 3A and Green Mtn Road that it was the Lower or Upper Similkameen band that had jurisdiction there, not Penticton Indian band? Regardless, the usual excuse is that its a locatee and we have no control over individual members. Garbage!
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

The Penticton Indian Band has a Community Tripartite Agreement with the Crown and the RCMP and have a dedicated officer who ensures that all reported instances are thoroughly investigated. The Band has asked for information fromThat's what PIB doing to change the safety in our community and to ensure the safety of the public.
If you're not going to report it, you'll be right, nothing will change.
Only about %10 of the Band's entire 46,000 acres is locatee lands with a large portion of those lands located in the lower village.
I would like to remind you that MOTI and ARGO have the say-so on that road, not the Band or any representative. If anyone from the Band, representing the Band decided to turn people around, they would be guilty of mischief.
I will reiterate, no one from Penticton Indian Band or representative were given authorization to turn people around or refuse access. It's against the law, if you're not going to report it, the RCMP or MOTI cannot follow proper process and any claims will be dismissed as rumour.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Dawnland wrote:The Penticton Indian Band has a Community Tripartite Agreement with the Crown and the RCMP and have a dedicated officer who ensures that all reported instances are thoroughly investigated. The Band has asked for information fromThat's what PIB doing to change the safety in our community and to ensure the safety of the public.
If you're not going to report it, you'll be right, nothing will change.
Only about %10 of the Band's entire 46,000 acres is locatee lands with a large portion of those lands located in the lower village.
I would like to remind you that MOTI and ARGO have the say-so on that road, not the Band or any representative. If anyone from the Band, representing the Band decided to turn people around, they would be guilty of mischief.
I will reiterate, no one from Penticton Indian Band or representative were given authorization to turn people around or refuse access. It's against the law, if you're not going to report it, the RCMP or MOTI cannot follow proper process and any claims will be dismissed as rumour.

Question not answered yet. Who's area (not the road) is near Green Mtn Road and 3A? Lower Similkameen Band or PIB? Thanks for answering the question of who can and who can not block the road. We will remember that for the future in case the Cammo boys try blocking the road again.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

So XT, something happens nearly 30 years ago and you're still holding on tight to the chance to point fingers. Here's some feedback....
Call the band office of either band if you want to know the answer. Unless you can engage respectfully, I choose not to respond.
I refuse to accept outdated stereotypes that no longer reflect what our future holds for us. If you're stuck in the past, that's on you.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Dawnland wrote:So XT, something happens nearly 30 years ago and you're still holding on tight to the chance to point fingers. Here's some feedback....
Call the band office of either band if you want to know the answer. Unless you can engage respectfully, I choose not to respond.
I refuse to accept outdated stereotypes that no longer reflect what our future holds for us. If you're stuck in the past, that's on you.

It actually happened 24 years ago and again in 2002. Stewy is still up to the same old protests and blockades; not much has changed; just different location. Sad but true. I could call the PIB band office and ask for the P.R. lady but she would likely be rude to me, so I won't bother..lol. Most of us know who she is. I believe that area by 3A is outside PIB area and as you said, Argo or RCMP can only close it; not really anything to do with either Indian Band. Glad the road is open once again. Done deal.

Return to “South Okanagan”