Do we still have a mayor and council?

southy
Lord of the Board

Do we still have a mayor and council?

Post by southy »

Ok I need to ask - what's up at city hall? I mean, I haven't heard a soundbite from the Mayor, any of the councillors or even the Weeb. Haven't heard anything from their new communications dude either. How far out are we from the next BIG election? The one that will hopefully give us a clean slate of candidates and a new mayor and council.

Quiet says that things are moving along just fine - and mayor Jak and his gang have been told not to rock the boat, or maybe something is happening and it is best to just keep quiet.

How many more sleeps till next election .... just like Christmas isn't it.
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Do we still have a mayor and council?

Post by southy »

Whoa .. I spoke to soon. Ask and it will be given. https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#223977
Now I know why they don't want these councillors speaking out in public.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Whoa .. I spoke to soon. Ask and it will be given. https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#223977
Now I know why they don't want these councillors speaking out in public.

Gee, Southy...could there be an election coming up soon by chance? Ya think? The big talk has likely happened (Weeb to council); keep mouth shut; no get hurt; might win election (MIGHT is the word though). Doing nothing (re the deer issue) is not the answer; find a solution is.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

"The last count of urban deer in Penticton, in 2012, found 49 within the city's boundaries. While Laven acknowledged there's a perception the amount has increased, he said no count has been done to determine that."

The only possible response to that number is the people doing the count also navigated with white canes.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Can you blame a politician for shying away from such an obviously contentious issue? This is Penticton, for every person who sees urban deer as oversized rats, there is going to be someone crying “Poor Bambi”.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:Can you blame a politician for shying away from such an obviously contentious issue? This is Penticton, for every person who sees urban deer as oversized rats, there is going to be someone crying “Poor Bambi”.

There are examples of good politicians that take the bull by the horns (no pun intended here) and get results. Ours tend to presently do great at holding up the proverbial fence. Just hope that too many of them sitting on it don't make it collapse.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/banff-s-e ... n-1.210660

Note: on the above link/story, our deer may not be quite as aggressive as Elk but try walking a dog near them; different story.

Another story about Sioux Falls; a city that showed leadership and did something about the deer problems:

http://www.kdlt.com/2016/03/09/deer-rem ... -and-herd/
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Fluffy, I didn't see Andre Martin shying away from the issue. It just seemed like a pretty weak attempt to instill fear into the deer issue. Or was it a parental issue? Penticton is not Disneyland ... Bambi/s need to move on!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I’d be okay with programs like that, I’m just saying that it’s inevitable that there would be an outcry from the Bambi set wanting some outrageously expensive relocation program in place of the “removal” described in the last link.

If anything at all is evident about Pentictonites, it’s that there is always somebody ready to make a big issue out of a little one.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Fluffy .. have we talked about city hall lately?? :biggrin: Reality is ... it's a BIG ISSUE!!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:Fluffy .. have we talked about city hall lately?? :biggrin: Reality is ... it's a BIG ISSUE!!

It is to you, but you talk about it at every opportunity, and your bias is obvious. Me? Not so much. I’m going to wait uni this fall and see what my choices are at that time.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:I’d be okay with programs like that, I’m just saying that it’s inevitable that there would be an outcry from the Bambi set wanting some outrageously expensive relocation program in place of the “removal” described in the last link.

If anything at all is evident about Pentictonites, it’s that there is always somebody ready to make a big issue out of a little one.

If the deer were relocated properly without a cull, there would be no bleeding hearts. Takes initiative; something that our present council has very little of (perhaps except Campbell Watt; he could be re-elected in the Fall). It IS a big issue, Fluffy; just ask anyone who has been affected by our city's increasing deer population. People are tired of it and want something done. Any fence sitters won't be getting my X on the ballet box this Fall.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

fluffy wrote:If anything at all is evident about Pentictonites, it’s that there is always somebody ready to make a big issue out of a little one.

That's the truth. " Frank" comes to mind [icon_lol2.gif]
I am not wealthy but I am rich
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

seewood wrote:
That's the truth. " Frank" comes to mind [icon_lol2.gif]

Frank did not cause damage to property; the deer are. Not even a close comparison.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

[quote="XT225"]seewood wrote:That's the truth. " Frank" comes to mind
Frank did not cause damage to property; the deer are. Not even a close comparison.

Take a pill mate, contrary to what you may believe, I'm not a twit.

In the old days when ICBC paid for the counter attack programs, they might have thrown some loot into the game and helped with relocating or culling them. No shortage of deer VS vehicle stains on the roads around Penticton. Bit of preventative cash might reduce the insurance payouts.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There is also some dispute about as to whether culling and relocation programs are effective in anything but the short term. There is also the cost to consider. From what I’ve read so far relocation starts at about a thousand bucks a head, and culling is still surprisingly expensive before you even consider the social costs of that approach.

It makes sense that the first line of defence rests with the property owners through measures like limiting food sources and installing physical barriers.

Return to “South Okanagan”