Mobile Home Park eviction

Re: Mobile Home Park eviction

Postby cv23 » Sep 30th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Bunnyhop wrote:A mobile home can be put on land you own and it can easily appreciate in value. Not just the land but the building.

Please provide us with even one example of a mobile home (building only, not the land) appreciating in value.
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 1852 posts

Postby twobits » Sep 30th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Bunnyhop wrote:A mobile home can be put on land you own and it can easily appreciate in value. Not just the land but the building.

In that situation its also possible to get a mortgage on them.

They aren’t the “trailers” that they used to be. Go check out the ones down by Warren Avenue and the bypass. Really nice homes.

Sorry, but you are stretching what the definition of mobile home is. You are confusing "manufactured homes" built elsewhere, and placed on a poured foundation. Mobile homes, are built on a steel frame and sit on wood blocks with a skirting around them that makes them appear to be built on site.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3325 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Oct 1st, 2018, 7:21 am

Financing a mobile home is very expensive under the new B-20 rules.

Joe Tomkins, a mortgage broker with DLC Canadian Mortgage Experts in Nanaimo, B.C., said several of his clients have already been forced to use a private lender in order to refinance, but at a much greater cost.

“A client of mine had to refinance for personal reasons and they needed to get equity out of their home,” he said. “It had to go to a MIC (mortgage investment corporation), and it was 12% and included a very high fee as well. But that was the only option.”

Joel Olson, a DLC Mortgage Experts mortgage broker in Kamloops, B.C., has also had clients refinance at 12% and pay a $4,000 fee because “that was the best and cheapest option of everybody out there.”

He added that the restrictions aren’t unique to mobile homes, but can also include small condos under 550 square feet, homes on leased land, homes built using alternative building methods, etc.

https://www.canadianmortgagetrends.com/ ... ile-homes/
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3697 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 1st, 2018, 6:33 pm

And is why I pointed out the distinction between a manufactured home and a mobile home. You need to understand the difference
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Tony likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Postby pentona » Oct 5th, 2018, 9:38 am

OMG, this is just awful; can only imagine the mess inside that trailer. People that keep that many animals are just sick.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... om-trailer
pentona
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 474 posts

Postby JagXKR » Nov 21st, 2018, 5:33 pm

rustled wrote:
Whether it's locatee land or any other land, landowners who rent their properties out are not operating charities. Perhaps locatee landowners do not have to pay tipping fees when they clean up derelict properties? I don't know, but I'd think it likely. There's certainly a cost to haul the vehicles and old mobile homes and holiday trailers somewhere.

So I guess no tipping fees like you mentioned. Because they just burned everything. Multiple fires have been burning for days. They have been burning anything and everything. Because they can and no one can stop them.
Keepers of the land.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ailer-park

Dawn Russell, communications coordinator with the band, said sometimes they receive requests from locatees for help during a burn, such as fire services support or confirming questions about the air index when hazardous materials are involved — but not this time.

Russell said the Penticton Indian Band does not currently have any burning bylaws regarding material that can be burned which they apply to locatee land, though they are in the process of creating some.

Notable at one of the sites was the visible insulation from within the destroyed trailer's walls, which was part of the burn. An excavator was at work by the fire, and a portion of the trailer's wall remained upright.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1159 posts

Postby pentona » Nov 21st, 2018, 5:47 pm

Keepers of the land, my *bleep*. There is no excuse for this type of burning; its an environmental nightmare. It would never be allowed off the reserve. I wouldn't want to be living above there and breathing in that smoke. The typical excuse by the band is that they have no control over locatees. Then bloomin well change your laws so you DO have control.

3 people like this post.
pentona
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby twobits » Nov 21st, 2018, 6:22 pm

pentona wrote:Keepers of the land, my *bleep*. There is no excuse for this type of burning; its an environmental nightmare. It would never be allowed off the reserve. I wouldn't want to be living above there and breathing in that smoke. The typical excuse by the band is that they have no control over locatees. Then bloomin well change your laws so you DO have control.

Yes, the proclamation of "steward's of the land and environment" kinda rings hollow doesn't it? It costs somewhere around 30k to demolish a two bedroom wartime house with the required assessment for asbestos from wall sheeting, window putty, flooring yada yada. White suited individuals with breathing masks must remove and bag all suspect material. The wind must also be not blowing in the direction of any human being while said material that someone has just recently been living in is being removed. Then the RDOS landfill charges a rate for disposal of said material that a casual observer would conclude must have come from a fusion reactor in Japan.
And the "Steward's of the land" response.......it's owned by a private locatee so it's OK under our bylaws to burn entire mobile homes......aluminum, plastics, flooring......everything, in an excavator fed bonfire.
Is this response not becoming a little tiresome and should it not be just a small part of local reconciliation discussions?

3 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Postby southy » Nov 21st, 2018, 6:22 pm

pentona wrote:Keepers of the land, my *bleep*. There is no excuse for this type of burning; its an environmental nightmare. It would never be allowed off the reserve. I wouldn't want to be living above there and breathing in that smoke. The typical excuse by the band is that they have no control over locatees. Then bloomin well change your laws so you DO have control.

Unfortunately Pentona, if they were to change the laws so they DO have control - someone would then have to be ACCOUNTABLE!

3 people like this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 692 posts

Postby Dawnland » Nov 21st, 2018, 6:30 pm

I couldn't agree more.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Liked in: 155 posts

Postby twobits » Nov 21st, 2018, 6:44 pm

southy wrote:Unfortunately Pentona, if they were to change the laws so they DO have control - someone would then have to be ACCOUNTABLE!

Ms Russel......you are the communications person for the PIB. What is the problem in communicating this to your own members and Council. It appears that you fully understand the hypocrisy of actions. Please explain to us the problem with making it happen. True trust and reconciliation will ever be achieved if PIP continues to allow this stuff to happen. Bridges are built and sewer connections provided yet excuses and a veiled middle finger are received in return.

Edit to add- I also have to wonder at the timing of this mass eviction of the Mobile Home Park by Locatee Owner and Band Councillor Mr Kruger.
These Kruger lands would not have had a sewer connection prior to the City connection to service Skaha Hills. Is it just a convenient fact that the sewer line was extended right past Mr Kruger's land and a developer can now buy in with a late comer fee and develop those lands as fully sewer serviced when they never were before?
And here's the bigger moral dilemma......is the previous Penticton administration party to the eviction of marginal residents knowing full well that access to sewer would change the use of these lands to a higher and more profitable use?
I am seeing some really bloodied hands if these lands get sewer connected now for some nice beachfront condo's while the administration preaches affordable housing.

6 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Postby pentona » Nov 23rd, 2018, 4:37 pm

What a horrible mess. Perhaps the locatee owner should be now charged with manslaughter considering it could well be his burn piles re-igniting that started this fire overnight where someone was killed.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#242725
pentona
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby twobits » Nov 23rd, 2018, 7:00 pm

pentona wrote:What a horrible mess. Perhaps the locatee owner should be now charged with manslaughter considering it could well be his burn piles re-igniting that started this fire overnight where someone was killed.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#242725

And Stanmar Services........the go to property management firm for rentals to the marginal. Check out the history of properties that are and have been in their portfolio.
Is a rental property management company overseeing demolition and disposal of buildings by fire now?

twobits
Guru

Postby pentona » Nov 24th, 2018, 7:37 pm

A story on the TV news tonight said that there was no power to the residence. Sounded like it may have started from within and not result of the burn piles outside. The 65 year old woman who died was allowed to stay a little bit longer the story stated. Why would the owner/property manager allow someone to stay in unsafe conditions, however?
pentona
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby abraham » Nov 26th, 2018, 1:57 am

I hear Sunnyvale has rentals, ask for Ricky or Julian...
abraham

Liked in: 55 posts

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan