Car Jacking (Robbery) in Penticton

my5cents
Guru

Car Jacking (Robbery) in Penticton

Post by my5cents »

Did I miss a news story in our local media ? (Apologies to real media for using "media" to describe our local media)

The first I head that there was a robbery of a vehicle in Penticton on Monday was when the suspect was shot and killed in Nanaimo by police on Tuesday afternoon.

Now I'm not saying the RCMP should be divulging investigative details of the incident on Monday, but at least shouldn't the locals be advised of that this type of serious crime occurred ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Car Jacking (Robbery) in Penticton

Post by ferri »

Unless things have changed, the news media talk to the RCMP at least once a day and report on what they are told.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

OK, then why hasn't the Penticton RCMP said anything about the robbery ?

If someone in Penticton has committed a robbery of a car (slang,, "car jacking") shouldn't the police alert the public. On Monday in Penticton, Tuesday ?

Apparently the police were concerned enough to apprehend the suspect using the Emergency Response Team.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

RCMP have confirmed the car jacking incident took place Monday May 7 in Penticton and the driver in that incident sustained serious, but non-life threatening injuries.

“That incident remains under active investigation, but we are not in a position to release additional details at this time.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#225733
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Fancy wrote:
RCMP have confirmed the car jacking incident took place Monday May 7 in Penticton and the driver in that incident sustained serious, but non-life threatening injuries.

“That incident remains under active investigation, but we are not in a position to release additional details at this time.

Date 7:18 PM on Tuesday, after the suspect was dead.

So much for the timely news items that indicate "this was a targeted offense" (ie, don't worry it wasn't random), or "police warn citizens that the suspect may still be in the area of......" (ie watch out you could be next)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It might be the police knew where the vehicle was heading so no reason to put out a news release to warn Penticton residents.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

my5cents wrote:
Date 7:18 PM on Tuesday, after the suspect was dead.

So much for the timely news items that indicate "this was a targeted offense" (ie, don't worry it wasn't random), or "police warn citizens that the suspect may still be in the area of......" (ie watch out you could be next)

Why are you trying to create a public alarm that there was no need for?
There is a difference between notifying the public of impending danger that is potentially iminent and fluff that just alarms people without need. Clearly the RCMP recognized the need for local public information and were correct in their assessment that there was no local danger.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

twobits wrote:Why are you trying to create a public alarm that there was no need for?
There is a difference between notifying the public of impending danger that is potentially iminent and fluff that just alarms people without need. Clearly the RCMP recognized the need for local public information and were correct in their assessment that there was no local danger.

That, and your question are the types of questions that assume something and then ask why.

So the police should not advise the public through the media about a serious violent attack ?

The information has dribbled out. Apparently on Monday the 7th, the suspect attempted to murder someone in Vernon, then the vehicle he was using was seen in West Kelowna, then the suspect was reported seen in Penticton with a gun, then he seriously injured a person in Penticton when he robbed them of their vehicle, then was shot and killed by police in Nanaimo. This over a period of a day and a half.

None of this information was reported in the media until the suspect was shot dead in Nanaimo in the afternoon of Tuesday the 8th.

An attempt murder in Vernon, a sighting of the suspect with a gun in Penticton, the robbery of a vehicle with severe injuries also in Penticton, is "fluff, that alarms people without need", really ?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

removed.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”