Cherry Lane Mall

Re: Cherry Lane Mall

Postby Darkre » Jun 24th, 2018, 8:53 pm

You will probably see a huge change to that property when The Bay leaves Cherry Lane. The market is too small to support the brand and the HBC parent company is having some financial difficulties throughout it's operation. I'd be surprised if they last another 5 years here. At that point I imagine we will see parking area between The Bay and London Drugs as well as The Bay's retail footprint developed into condo's with underground parking and first floor retail, probably a larger location for Save-on-Foods or a smaller Nester's Market store depending on how Save-On is doing with the increased competition they now face in Penticton. Then the parking area between The Bay and Save-on plus Save-on's current footprint could be developed in phase 2.

As twobits pointed out the land value of malls is just becoming to expensive to ignore. If you don't think it can happen here consider that there are plans in place to redevelop the entire Metrotown Mall complex and Metrotown is one of the most successful malls in BC.

2 people like this post.
Darkre
Board Meister

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Jun 25th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Can not think of the last item i purchased in a mall.

In Cherry Lane i know what it was. A book. Foods that fight cancer for Mel Kotler before he passed. Is the book store still open.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3266 posts

Postby twobits » Jun 25th, 2018, 6:09 pm

And besides, does anyone except 15 yr olds, who have no money to spend, or 68 yr olds that have money to spend but just buy coffee and occupy very expensive common area seats in the food court to "chat", actually enjoy going to the mall?? It's about as attractive to me as going to the Carnival when they wheel their show into town.
Lordy....I think I would prefer a dentist appointment over the "mall". My wife would confirm that truth. Walmart is bad enough but at least everything is done at one painfully slow cashier rather than 6 or 8.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3320 posts

Postby Thinktank » Jun 26th, 2018, 10:45 am

the big question is: Will the Bay be calling it quits? And why?
Because without the Bay, Cherry Lane might was well call it quits.

they're on their way out. ^
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.
Thinktank
Guru

Liked in: 576 posts

Postby my10cents » Jul 17th, 2018, 7:39 pm

he big question is: Will the Bay be calling it quits? And why?
Because without the Bay, Cherry Lane might was well call it quits.

[icon_lol2.gif] Ummmmm -why? Such doomsayers. This whole town may as well call it quits if Cherry lane folds. Cause there ain't no way I'm shopping at Walmart when I come out.

And I say again, if there's so many doomsday prophecies for retail in this town (especially in this forum), and nothing but complaints, then you are contributing to your town's retail demise. And yes..i know all about online shopping..yada yada.. but SERIOUSLY????

I visit from Edmonton a lot( on business and I spend a ton of dollars in this town) - and I used to think this town was a little gem. Now it's full of sorry crabby asses complaining about retail and anything(or should I dare say "everything") else under the Penticton sun.

Open your eyes people - if you don't like it MOVE!!!
my10cents

Liked in: 22 posts

Postby fluffy » Jul 18th, 2018, 4:26 am

Penticton has its problems, what town doesn't? But all in all, I still like it here. You skirt around the edges of a pervasive issue here my10, people who whine and cry about limited retail choices but happily take there money down the road for things that are readily available here.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4295 posts

Postby my10cents » Sep 25th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Was just down for the weekend and went to my favorite mall. Looks like Cherry Lane has been busy behind the scenes.
Ardene and Boathouse have just been announced on their Facebook page. I hear that a store called Tickleberry(sp?) is opening a gfit shop there too. Wow they are doing stuff! So to all you naysayers - maybe realize that these things take time? I have also heard that the offices have been moved to the other side of the mall to make room for the food court renos. I suppose that's what the hold up was.

I am happy for this little mall... and disturbed that you "Debbie downers" on this thread can't see the progress. The owners are a huge corporation and have deep pockets to make this little mall into a diamond. Penticton should be happy that someone like that is willing to upgrade this mall in your small little town. :D :D :D
my10cents

Liked in: 22 posts

Postby twobits » Sep 25th, 2018, 6:27 pm

my10cents wrote:Was just down for the weekend and went to my favorite mall. Looks like Cherry Lane has been busy behind the scenes.
Ardene and Boathouse have just been announced on their Facebook page. I hear that a store called Tickleberry(sp?) is opening a gfit shop there too. Wow they are doing stuff! So to all you naysayers - maybe realize that these things take time? I have also heard that the offices have been moved to the other side of the mall to make room for the food court renos. I suppose that's what the hold up was.

I am happy for this little mall... and disturbed that you "Debbie downers" on this thread can't see the progress. The owners are a huge corporation and have deep pockets to make this little mall into a diamond. Penticton should be happy that someone like that is willing to upgrade this mall in your small little town. :D :D :D

I wish them nothing but success. But go ahead and keep denying that the real estate it occupies has a higher value use than 35 bucks a sq ft plus triple net costs near the same for small retail. When the Bay pulls the plug.....and it will, the model is toast.
No one thought Sears would disappear either lol.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3320 posts

Postby sarah... » Oct 23rd, 2018, 7:16 am

Hey, I was just wondering if any of you knowwhat that one really cool store that used to be beside urban dollar store was called? It was little with a nice young Asian man who owned it. They sold so many cool things, blankets , hoodies, paintings, wallets, accessories of all sorts. I went there yesterday looking for a cool gift for my boyfriend and noticed they are no longer there and have been replaced with the tickleberry gift shop. If anyone knows the name PLEASE let me know. I'm hoping I can find them somewhere else or maybe online. Thank you in advance :)
sarah...

Liked in: 0 post

Postby southy » Oct 23rd, 2018, 9:50 am

Sarah, a quick phone call to Cherry Lane's Administration Office would get you the information you want.

Here is #: 250-492-5908
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 692 posts

Previous

Return to South Okanagan