Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby soupy » Sep 22nd, 2018, 4:00 pm

burnedatstake wrote:while i can understand what you are getting at with the tips in regards to actual gross earnings - its (tips) a grey area. and varies. thus the focus on wages. should people who make tips not have union representation? because they dont declare tip earnings? if its such an issue then make a deal. casino opens up the books and the workers will.


Never said people who make tips should not have union representation.

A deal has been attempted a few times now, that included raises. I would love to see a new deal include a clause in-which the Casino workers must be transparent with all tips received and pay proper taxes on them. (I know that the Union would never agree to that)
soupy
Board Meister
 
Posts: 643
Likes: 1207 posts
Liked in: 585 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby burnedatstake » Sep 22nd, 2018, 4:31 pm

soupy wrote:Never said people who make tips should not have union representation.

A deal has been attempted a few times now, that included raises. I would love to see a new deal include a clause in-which the Casino workers must be transparent with all tips received and pay proper taxes on them. (I know that the Union would never agree to that)


well there you go. the union is smart.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Übergod
 
Posts: 1675
Likes: 597 posts
Liked in: 438 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby soupy » Sep 22nd, 2018, 4:52 pm

burnedatstake wrote:
soupy wrote:Never said people who make tips should not have union representation.

A deal has been attempted a few times now, that included raises. I would love to see a new deal include a clause in-which the Casino workers must be transparent with all tips received and pay proper taxes on them. (I know that the Union would never agree to that)


well there you go. the union is smart.


Right. thats why their members are standing outside in a thunderstorm not working ...

cv23 likes this post.
soupy
Board Meister
 
Posts: 643
Likes: 1207 posts
Liked in: 585 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby twobits » Sep 22nd, 2018, 7:12 pm

burnedatstake wrote:thats whats fun around here. blatant twisting of true motivations and context. in my toolbox as well. i dont recall saying i want "unions" sued. and i dont want them to be. although if there is mismanagement that would be the correct thing for the membership to do. unfortunately the brotherhood in kelowna went through that sort of turmoil many years ago.

as far as tips. i dont mind the government raising taxes. its the way of the world and is sometimes necessary. especially when hack and slay right wing governments were in place creating a revenue vacuum. and if tips are claimed then great. if they are not - that is between the person and the government - if they get caught. which rarely happens. i mean what tax agent wants to go through the batting eyelashes of a beautiful waitress (hired by a modeling agency to circumvent discrimination laws) and be a bad guy? right? also i wont put myself in a position where i get the morality play "gotcha" in thrown at me. that is too elementary.


Would everyone just quit responding to the clearly Pluto orbit point of views so there is some hope of a rational and intelligent discussion that might have some common ground and interests?
Next question is why a post such as the above is considered a positive contribution to a community discussion by a forum whose business model is based on attracting users to visit repeatably?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

cv23 likes this post.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 7017
Likes: 991 posts
Liked in: 3549 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby fluffy » Sep 23rd, 2018, 6:58 am

soupy wrote:with all tips received and pay proper taxes on them.


Are we sure they aren't paying taxes already? This same discussion in the Central Okanagan forum said that tips are pool and distributed by the employer, and as I understand it as soon as the employer is involved in any kind of pooling/distribution action the tips become formal income and must appear on the employees' pay stubs with all appropriate deductions.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19340
Likes: 329 posts
Liked in: 4324 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm
Location: Ogo

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby Bsuds » Sep 23rd, 2018, 7:16 am

fluffy wrote: as I understand it as soon as the employer is involved in any kind of pooling/distribution action the tips become formal income and must appear on the employees' pay stubs with all appropriate deductions.


That's the way it is handled at my son's place of work and yes taxes are paid.
I know the voices aren't real but they sure do come up with some good ideas!

burnedatstake likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 43663
Likes: 9507 posts
Liked in: 11931 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby soupy » Sep 23rd, 2018, 11:23 am

fluffy wrote:
soupy wrote:with all tips received and pay proper taxes on them.


Are we sure they aren't paying taxes already? This same discussion in the Central Okanagan forum said that tips are pool and distributed by the employer, and as I understand it as soon as the employer is involved in any kind of pooling/distribution action the tips become formal income and must appear on the employees' pay stubs with all appropriate deductions.


If you can find me evidence of this i will stand corrected.
In the Central OK forum someone also posted that they work at the casino and do not claim all their tips.

I used to work a job in which tips were pooled. Employer distributed them in cash, not part of payroll.

alanjh595 likes this post.
soupy
Board Meister
 
Posts: 643
Likes: 1207 posts
Liked in: 585 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby burnedatstake » Sep 23rd, 2018, 11:27 am

soupy wrote:If you can find me evidence of this i will stand corrected.
In the Central OK forum someone also posted that they work at the casino and do not claim all their tips.

I used to work a job in which tips were pooled. Employer distributed them in cash, not part of payroll.


its been my experience that you appear to be a good researcher. perhaps in this case you should be more inclined to back up possible erroneous claims.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Übergod
 
Posts: 1675
Likes: 597 posts
Liked in: 438 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 23rd, 2018, 11:53 am

burnedatstake wrote:its been my experience that you appear to be a good researcher. perhaps in this case you should be more inclined to back up possible erroneous claims.


How about you back up your claims that support your innuendos ?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 7438
Likes: 2898 posts
Liked in: 3886 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby burnedatstake » Sep 23rd, 2018, 11:56 am

alanjh595 wrote:How about you back up your claims that support your innuendos ?


now why would i do that? or for that matter correct my syntax. which as we know is your go to play if you get cornered.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Übergod
 
Posts: 1675
Likes: 597 posts
Liked in: 438 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby fluffy » Sep 23rd, 2018, 12:34 pm

soupy wrote:If you can find me evidence of this i will stand corrected.


https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/canada-pension-plan-cpp-employment-insurance-ei-rulings/cpp-ei-explained/tips-gratuities.html#control

Check out the section under "controlled tips".
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19340
Likes: 329 posts
Liked in: 4324 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm
Location: Ogo

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 23rd, 2018, 12:49 pm

alanjh595 wrote:How about you back up your claims that support your innuendos ?


burnedatstake wrote:now why would i do that? or for that matter correct my syntax. which as we know is your go to play if you get cornered.


You have just answered my question with evidence provided by the above noted quote. Thanks for coming out.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

cv23 likes this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 7438
Likes: 2898 posts
Liked in: 3886 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby soupy » Sep 23rd, 2018, 1:29 pm

fluffy wrote:
soupy wrote:If you can find me evidence of this i will stand corrected.


https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/canada-pension-plan-cpp-employment-insurance-ei-rulings/cpp-ei-explained/tips-gratuities.html#control

Check out the section under "controlled tips".


Great link. Also check out the section of "direct tips" which includes cash left at a table, or tips via credit card on bill etc.

Also that link included this line.
It is possible for an employee to receive both controlled and direct tips. In such a situation, only the controlled tips will form part of the employee's pensionable and/or insurable earnings.

:biggrin:
soupy
Board Meister
 
Posts: 643
Likes: 1207 posts
Liked in: 585 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby OKkayak » Sep 23rd, 2018, 1:30 pm

fluffy wrote:This same discussion in the Central Okanagan forum said that tips are pool and distributed by the employer, and as I understand it as soon as the employer is involved in any kind of pooling/distribution action the tips become formal income and must appear on the employees' pay stubs with all appropriate deductions.

In that thread, the one poster (who claims to work there) admitted that not all tips are reported.


From my experience, standard practice in regards to pooled tips, only the credit/debit card tips are reported, cash tips are simply given out at the end of the night.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
OKkayak
Übergod
 
Posts: 1782
Likes: 1462 posts
Liked in: 1787 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: Casino Booming Headline Timing.

Postby burnedatstake » Nov 27th, 2018, 7:17 pm

i read in an article that the casino lost hundreds of thousands of dollars during the strike. id post the link but the link would be bleeped. those who opposed the union always said that the casino was fine without the union workers. if that was the case why are they singing the blues saying they lost money?
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Übergod
 
Posts: 1675
Likes: 597 posts
Liked in: 438 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2011, 2:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests