Cannabis legalization - ideas

Cannabis legalization - ideas

Postby Bluemoon » Jul 13th, 2018, 7:56 pm

With the pending legalization of cannabis in Canada I suggest the following for discussions, consideration and potential implementation.
Over the last 40 years our BC cannabis growers have won world competitions on many occasions. Even while illegal, our BC product has gained an impressive global reputation for producing top grade product. “BC Bud” is already a very well-known label on a global basis.
The time is ripe for the politicians and affected business leaders in the South Okanagan to take ownership of the title of “Cannabis capital of Canada” before another area tries to claim that title. I suggest steps be developed to allow for “farm gate” sales of local cannabis products, along the lines as is seen in the local wine related businesses. Businesses offering locally grown varieties of cannabis would attract tourists from all over the world, if marketed properly and fairly soon to pre-empt some other area from doing the same thing. Our local economy would receive the financial fruits of that increased tourist traffic in every way that we see from the wine industry and would be yet another tool to attract even more tourists to visit our area.
I realize that the cannabis legalization is scary or threatening to “old school” people who were raised in the shadow of the American phobia created about cannabis over the last 75 years. I believe that rational people with some ability to see beyond the fake fear of the cannabis plant will see the potential economic benefits to be gained by recognizing the new reality of cannabis legalization and the potential benefits to be had for our area.

Troutcreeker likes this post.
Bluemoon

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Cannabis legalization - ideas

Postby SpectateSwamp » Sep 25th, 2018, 6:27 am

Hi B.C. 2018 Candidates...

Where do You Candidates stand on Marijuana?
What about supporting the existing 30 Billion a year local businesses
Or will Outsiders have first crack at Our market

There are 500,000 Canadians (a large percentage from BC) with criminal records for Pot
If Pot Heroes live or work in Osoyoos -- they will automatically get a FREE dispensary license
They were and still are the original Pot Dispensers...
They know the product.. The supply chain and have good customer contracts...
A hard to beat combination.. And right now it belongs to them...

Our Pot producers.. Formerly the Black Market are the best in the World
They have hundreds of varieties of Pot plants, only rivaled by California..
And this year will be the LARGEST outdoor crop ever, for obvious reasons..
Next year will be even more exciting. Tremendous potential, just ask Me.

If elected..the Osoyoos Pot Hall-of-Fame will show them what this plant can do.
Pot is being used for the radiation cleanup at Chernobyl and Fukushima
Not a problem for this Weed to clean up the Lake!!! -- lets get started today..
As a side benefit... those plants will distract the birds from our valuable vinyards..
and save their little lives.. Birds love pot seeds like no other...
That's just the start... BIG NEWS... Pot prevents alzheimers.

If You have watched the media lately...
This market is set to explode and will be worth 1/2 trillion US soon
Lets keep BC's share and expand.. Nobody is better poised than the BC Bud Growers.
Don't be stupid and pass up this incredible economic opportunity for our communities and Province.
Get on board or out of the way..

P.S.
I'll be asking my supporters to only vote for those that are Pro Pot. Even if it is just the Mayor..

Meet and discuss Weed and other issues with Me... (on video)
I'll be At JoJo's Cafe, here in Osoyoos most every morning..from 7:00 am to 9:00

Doug For Mayor And transparency
Make Osoyoos Home of the Pot Hall-of-Fame
Osoyoos B.C.
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan For the latest video updates.
[email protected]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNht7RR_Pvg
SpectateSwamp

Liked in: 0 post

Postby LTD » Sep 25th, 2018, 6:32 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 16th, 2018, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic

5 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3584 posts

Postby twobits » Sep 26th, 2018, 6:49 pm

But I really do like the suggestion of the OP that "BC Bud" be a trademark. If "Napa Valley" or "Champagne District" can do it, why can't we do it?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Centurion likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3793 posts

Postby seewood » Sep 26th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Personally, I was hoping there would be an easy definitive test for cannabis impairment for drivers before the stuff becomes "legal" .
I am not wealthy but I am rich

6 people like this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1510 posts

Postby twobits » Sep 26th, 2018, 7:13 pm

seewood wrote:Personally, I was hoping there would be an easy definitive test for cannabis impairment for drivers before the stuff becomes "legal" .

I think you might be over reacting to something new that has actually been around for much longer than other stimulants and depressants and used everyday by people behind the wheel.
Why would you have felt safer on the road with people that have prescribed and legal 40 mg oxy pain killers in their bloodstream? What about the legal happy pills that people chew for depression? Is there a road side test for those that you have shared the road with for the last 40 yrs? Did you ever think a definitive test for that kind of impairment was required or were you just not aware that was and still is a very serious impairment? A doctor prescribes an opiate, Xanax,.....no drive test required. A doctor prescribes Cannabis.....drive test required.
And quite frankly, I am not sure if an 18 yr old with four red bulls in the gut is any safer than anyone that smoked a joint. Pick your poison and decide how you want to regulate who can drive with any consumer product or legal prescription available. Yourself included if you care to self reflect on what meds you have driven with in your system. Ever had a Tylenol 3 that clearly states on the bottle to avoid machinery or driving? No road side test for Codeine so you were safe.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

8 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Postby theseeker » Sep 27th, 2018, 9:25 pm

I agree with you Twobits, I have always wondered who out there driving was high on prescription, alcohol and non-prescription drugs and I agree it has to be at least 30 years or more.
theseeker
Fledgling

Liked in: 13 posts

Postby SpectateSwamp » Oct 5th, 2018, 4:03 pm

http://www.osoyoostimes.com/video-mayoralty-candidate-doug-pederson-from-brilliant-computer-programmer-to-pothead-pedersons-focus-is-cannabis/

Bud and Breakfast.
Fall bud tours..
Monthly celebrations ... a lot of catching up to do.
Honor the legends of this war..
500,000 have criminal records for pot.. They are Heroes not villains
SpectateSwamp

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Treblehook » Oct 15th, 2018, 11:13 pm

I wonder if anyone else sees the result of the poll on Where To Get Your Weed as curious. Over 3700 people polled, and 51.56% of them responded that they don't use weed.
Treblehook
Übergod

Liked in: 1376 posts

Postby Tony » Oct 16th, 2018, 8:09 am

SpectateSwamp wrote:http://www.osoyoostimes.com/video-mayoralty-candidate-doug-pederson-from-brilliant-computer-programmer-to-pothead-pedersons-focus-is-cannabis/

Bud and Breakfast.
Fall bud tours..
Monthly celebrations ... a lot of catching up to do.
Honor the legends of this war..
500,000 have criminal records for pot.. They are Heroes not villains

Actually, they are, well, not villains per se, but what they did was illegal and so they paid the price. The fact that it's legal tomorrow has no bearing on the past. People who got a speeding ticket on a highway that was marked at 80 km/hr that changes to 90 km/hr can't go back and have that negated either.

A hero is never anyone who does something illegal IMO

2 people like this post.
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 414 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 16th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Tony wrote:
Actually, they are, well, not villains per se, but what they did was illegal and so they paid the price. The fact that it's legal tomorrow has no bearing on the past. People who got a speeding ticket on a highway that was marked at 80 km/hr that changes to 90 km/hr can't go back and have that negated either.

So you are equating a MVA Act violation to a Federal criminal conviction lol? When was the last time a person could not enter the USA because they had a speeding ticket? Having sex with a member of the same sex was also illegal. Can we not turn back that draconian law and it's convictions Tony or should we continue to paint them as deviants in a more progressive society?

twobits
Guru

Postby Tony » Oct 17th, 2018, 5:14 am

twobits wrote:
Tony wrote:

So you are equating a MVA Act violation to a Federal criminal conviction lol? When was the last time a person could not enter the USA because they had a speeding ticket? Having sex with a member of the same sex was also illegal. Can we not turn back that draconian law and it's convictions Tony or should we continue to paint them as deviants in a more progressive society?

No, twobits, that is not what I'm doing. What I am saying is that if something was illegal, be it a speeding violation or a weed violation, it was illegal. I wasn't talking about the severity of the legality. If you have been convicted of something illegal, then you were convicted. The fact that it is legal as of today, is totally irrelevant to last week, last month, last year, last decade when it WAS illegal. You can't turn time back and erase history.... it's not physically possible. What happened, happened, and no matter how many blind eyes you turn toward it, it's still there. I know the City of Victoria is trying to do that by taking down the statue of Sir John A McDonald, but he was our first Prime Minister, and no matter how hard you try to erase that, he will always be our first PM. There is no way around that.

If you start saying that people who were convicted on dope charges should be exonerated, then prepare to buck up, as they will want hundreds of thousands of dollars. We see that happening all the time in our current world. "These people were wronged, let's pay them off" These people were mistreated "Let's pay them off". Somewhere there has to be a limit. We can apologize, I guess, but for what I'm not sure. You did something that was illegal 5 years ago, but it's not now, so we're sorry? That seems silly to me. Look forward, not backward. You can't get anywhere looking in the rearview mirror.

As far as your reference to sex with a member of the same sex, no, they shouldn't be painted as a deviant. Like many other things, we have become way more tolerant and accepting as a general rule. It was also illegal at one time to go the beach in Penticton without having a full body bathing suit on. Once again, move forward.
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 414 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 17th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Tony wrote: The fact that it is legal as of today, is totally irrelevant to last week, last month, last year, last decade when it WAS illegal. You can't turn time back and erase history.... it's not physically possible. What happened, happened, and no matter how many blind eyes you turn toward it, it's still there.

It seems Tony that you are mistaken. We are going to be able to turn back time.....at least with convictions for simple MJ possession. The Federal Gov't is going to create a fast track and cheap route to remove those criminal records. And they should.
Too many people have been denied employment and International travel because of simple MJ convictions, some decades old, unless they can pony up some 650 bucks and endure the pain of the process.

rustled likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Postby rustled » Oct 18th, 2018, 6:26 am

^^
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/23 ... ot-pardons
IMO, a pardon for simple possession is sensible here. (No apology and restitution, just the pardon.)
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 8812 posts

Postby fluffy » Oct 18th, 2018, 10:40 am

seewood wrote:Personally, I was hoping there would be an easy definitive test for cannabis impairment for drivers before the stuff becomes "legal" .

Totally agree. From a strictly legal point of view we need some sort of yardstick to measure the actual level of employment. I work in an industry that holds strict no-go rules for any sort of impairment on the job, be it legal or otherwise. The urine test is the tool of choice to detect use of prohibited substances but those tests fall short with marijuana as one can still test positive weeks after using, when any level of impairment has long since disappeared.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

rustled likes this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4357 posts

Next

Return to South Okanagan