Prystay's wall

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Prystay's wall

Post by southy »

JiminyC wrote:Why was the open house for the new development at the Lakeside held the day before the long weekend? I was unable to attend because I was away on vacation. I think most people in town are either away, vacationing with family, or working in the tourist industry at this busy time of year. This would mean a lower turnout and fewer public comments. Oh wait, I think I answered my own question!

Sorry to hear you were away on vacation … probably well earned too. Not sure about the generalization that most people in town are away … I know I wasn't. Wasn't on vacation with family either (though there are days I'd like to be) and no don't work in the tourist industry. I think perhaps the point you and a lot of others seem to miss that fewer public comments is probably a good thing for all concerned. Because I tend to agree with the following article in that most people really don't have a clue as to what they want or don't want.

Here is link: https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/201 ... -worthless

A very good read.

By the way if you are really concerned about this project and want to add your opinion, I'm sure a call to the Lakeside would be welcomed and your voice would be heard. So now you don't have to feel guilty about taking that well deserved vacation.
OllyV
Board Meister

Post by OllyV »

JiminyC wrote:Why was the open house for the new development at the Lakeside held the day before the long weekend? I was unable to attend because I was away on vacation. I think most people in town are either away, vacationing with family, or working in the tourist industry at this busy time of year. This would mean a lower turnout and fewer public comments. Oh wait, I think I answered my own question!

It must be a conspiracy.....

... shakes head.
I'd like to thank God for making me an atheist.
OllyV
Board Meister

Post by OllyV »

southy wrote:I think perhaps the point you and a lot of others seem to miss that fewer public comments is probably a good thing for all concerned. Because I tend to agree with the following article in that most people really don't have a clue as to what they want or don't want.

I couldn't agree with this more.

That was a fantastic article.

Unfortunately, I think over the last couple decades (and I blame social media to a very large part) many have come to believe that every opinion on every topic has value. Nothing could be further from the truth.

In fact, most opinions, on most topics are a waste of time and breath (including mine I am certain).

We need to stop asking the public their opinion on every little thing.

We need to elect, hire and appoint professionals to do their jobs and trust them to do it. If they fail to meet expectations then we hold them accountable through due process.

What we need to stop doing is having an election, voting on emotion rather than an informed decision and then immediately tear down the servants we put in place.

Somehow, the only people never held accountable in this process is the voting public.
I'd like to thank God for making me an atheist.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*removed* This building is only at the architectural design stage.....a long time away from stamped drawings, City approval and ground breaking.
You still have ample time between your next scheduled vacations to round up a like minded crew as yourself to oppose this project. You could even go to one of the scrap wood/kindling bins at the Structurlam Penticton, OK Falls, or Oliver production facilities to get free material to make up your protest signs. Be sure to wave at some of the 200 employee's that make union wages with full benefit packages while making a carbon neutral building product while you are there.
Last edited by ferri on Aug 6th, 2018, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:Here is link: https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/201 ... -worthless

A very good read.

It is a very good read Southy, but not without it's own flawed assumption that the "elected" officials are always going to be "experts".
I have long been an advocate of letting the democratic process unfold. The very basic premise of this confidence has been that the general electorate, as a whole, can't screw up so badly that we are going to get f'ed before the next election cycle and we as the electorate, can then change that governance.

However, given the last, Municipal, Federal, and Provincial elections.......I have to seriously question the actual policy interest engagement of the average voter or the actual intelligence of the average voter. I would like to believe it is not the latter but am afraid it is if people make voting decisions based on what is trending on twitter.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

OllyV wrote:What we need to stop doing is having an election, voting on emotion rather than an informed decision and then immediately tear down the servants we put in place.

You nailed it right there. The problem is though, the lack of due diligence on the part of the electorate to familiarize themselves with the issues and the candidates prior to casting their vote. No one is more aware of this than the candidates, most of whom know they can garner more votes by smacking a hornets nest of voter emotion than actually putting forth reason and logic in identifying and dealing with important issues. It has become the norm in politics at all levels that we don’t elect new representatives as much as we fire the old ones.

As far as Mr. Prystay’s plans for a new building, I’m of the mind that the pros outweigh the cons by a huge margin. This project would be compatible with others in the immediate area.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

twobits wrote:
southy wrote:Here is link: https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/201 ... -worthless

A very good read.

It is a very good read Southy, but not without it's own flawed assumption that the "elected" officials are always going to be "experts".

The follow up piece on the same site expanded on this:

The old joke about the iPhone is that if you asked people what they wanted in a telephone, they would have said, “Longer cords.” That is the product of a worthless consultation.

So to avoid that, Chuck says, “get on with the hard work of iteratively building a successful city. That work is a simple, four-step process:”
    1. Humbly observe where people in the community struggle.
    2. Ask the question: What is the next smallest thing we can do right now to address that struggle?
    3. Do that thing. Do it right now.
    4. Repeat.
...snip...
Now, in this list, consultation just disappears, and I think that is a bit hasty. I think the design experts should humbly observe where the community is struggling—but where do you start observing?

This is when you ask the experts. Consultation can map hot spots. Consultation can prioritize which hot spots to address first. If you need to know how it feels to live in a city, where the friction points are, and what is most beloved and cherished, residents are the only experts. Design a consultation to harvest their expertise, and then act on what they give you.

Consultation is a very small part of the overall process, but can be useful and important.

We need to be more aware of different kinds of expertise, and who has it. Each expert—engineer, resident, or designer—only specializes in a narrow field, and we mustn’t ask them to do each other’s jobs.

Otherwise, we disrespect everybody involved, and we corrode goodwill and trust on all sides. https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/mos ... -worthless
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “South Okanagan”