30 new needle drop box bins!

30 new needle drop box bins!

Postby abraham » Sep 17th, 2018, 2:47 pm

I have witnessed first hand these needle drop box bins mean squat to a large majority of these junkies! I was at a playground with my son a few weeks back and to my surprise there was a used needle sitting right on a bench next to the kids jungle Jim! I was absolutely furious that some ignorant *bleep* junkies could care less where they disposed these needles, especially when there was a needle bin in plain few from where they left it! And reading other similar stories about people finding needles in parks, on the beach and even floating in the water! Why on earth are they even handing needles out to these junkies in the first place is beyond me! There should be tight restrictions on who can get these needles, they should be given out to people with an actual medical issue upon a doctors prescription! And if these junkies need to get there fix then the city should set up these “safe injection” facilities like they already have, where these needles are collected by an employee after use before the individual walks out the door!! If needles were harder to get then there wouldn’t be such a problem(for the most part). Something needs to be done before someones kid gets poked by one!

Troutcreeker likes this post.
abraham

Liked in: 58 posts

Re: 30 new needle drop box bins!

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 17th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Maybe it's time to start inscribing needs with a serial number and that number be registered by the pharmacy that issues them?
If one of those needles are found in an unsafe location, a warrant could be issued for whomever signed it out.
With a charge of improper disposal of a biological hazard.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

2 people like this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3915 posts

Postby soupy » Sep 17th, 2018, 4:03 pm

alanjh595 wrote:Maybe it's time to start inscribing needs with a serial number and that number be registered by the pharmacy that issues them?
If one of those needles are found in an unsafe location, a warrant could be issued for whomever signed it out.
With a charge of improper disposal of a biological hazard.

I think thats a pretty darn good idea !!

Or an actual exchange, needle for needle.

"You have brought back 10 for disposal, here are 10 clean ones"

Ken7 likes this post.
soupy
Board Meister

Liked in: 589 posts

Postby pentona » Sep 17th, 2018, 6:55 pm

soupy wrote:I think thats a pretty darn good idea !!

How about bring in needles, and NOT give out new ones so these people can keep up their habit.

We need to get them OFF this horrible stuff. I know what folks will say: "they will just reuse old needles and get sick or worse". Well, keeping them ON this habit is doing nothing at all. Time for change.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 540 posts

Postby soupy » Sep 17th, 2018, 7:26 pm

pentona wrote:
soupy wrote:I think thats a pretty darn good idea !!

How about bring in needles, and NOT give out new ones so these people can keep up their habit.

We need to get them OFF this horrible stuff. I know what folks will say: "they will just reuse old needles and get sick or worse". Well, keeping them ON this habit is doing nothing at all. Time for change.

I believe my idea is actually much more feasible.

But please let me know your ideas to get everyone off of this stuff. Id love an easy solution for that
soupy
Board Meister

Postby pentona » Sep 17th, 2018, 8:42 pm

soupy wrote:

But please let me know your ideas to get everyone off of this stuff. Id love an easy solution for that

I don't have all the answers for this problem but I do know one thing...by continuing to give out free needles will never help them kick this terrible habit and is definitely not the answer.

Perhaps providing rehab centres (not injection sites)and getting these folks the help that they deserve and off the streets is a better solution. The crime rates would also decline drastically.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 540 posts

Postby Darkre » Sep 17th, 2018, 9:56 pm

pentona wrote:
soupy wrote:

I don't have all the answers for this problem but I do know one thing...by continuing to give out free needles will never help them kick this terrible habit and is definitely not the answer.

Perhaps providing rehab centres (not injection sites)and getting these folks the help that they deserve and off the streets is a better solution. The crime rates would also decline drastically.

Step one - Build a lot of rehab/mental health facilities
Step two - make it mandatory that anyone that attempts suicide must complete a 30 day stay in one of these facilities (assault causing bodily harm on yourself?)
Step three - consider any and all drug overdoses to be a form of attempted suicide

The problem is that the majority of users are either convinced they don’t have a problem or can only think of how to get their next fix. Until they have sobered up most can’t even think about quitting and right now there is no way to force someone to sober up long enough to let them even consider their options. We could have all the facilities in the world available but the number of willing users wanting to quit is a fraction of those using. Without a way to force people to at least sober up long enough to be able to seriously consider quitting the success rates will be minimal.
Darkre
Board Meister

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby soupy » Sep 18th, 2018, 7:08 am

Darkre wrote:Step one - Build a lot of rehab/mental health facilities
Step two - make it mandatory that anyone that attempts suicide must complete a 30 day stay in one of these facilities (assault causing bodily harm on yourself?)
Step three - consider any and all drug overdoses to be a form of attempted suicide

The problem is that the majority of users are either convinced they don’t have a problem or can only think of how to get their next fix. Until they have sobered up most can’t even think about quitting and right now there is no way to force someone to sober up long enough to let them even consider their options. We could have all the facilities in the world available but the number of willing users wanting to quit is a fraction of those using. Without a way to force people to at least sober up long enough to be able to seriously consider quitting the success rates will be minimal.

Love the idea.
Who is paying for and running these facilities ? Where will they be located ?
soupy
Board Meister

Postby RandyDandy » Sep 18th, 2018, 8:45 am

Let me get this straight. The government is providing free clean new needles and sometimes safe injection sites for drug addicts to service their addiction so they don't infect each other with HIV or Hepatitis....or OD and die or require medical services to prevent their death...but in the field or on the beach or in the back alley, after the drugs have hit home, probably the last thing on their addled minds is to find a used needle receptacle into which they could deposit said needle so non-druggies aren't exposed to those ugly diseases. While the government might be commended for their efforts, they seem to be forgetting that these people are ADDICTS, for crying out loud. Did I mention that these people are ADDICTS and often have little regard for anything beyond their next fix? That is their particular misfortune and society's yoke of shame. Perhaps if these funds were re-allocated for something like school lunches for low income families or free condoms..or school supplies.....and sports!
Don't see government giving out free beer or cigarettes, these first essential gateway drug, because they don't want to lose the tax revenue. Just wait until October 17 and watch the excrement hit the fan. We ain't seen nothing yet. Legal cannabis gets its due.
Last edited by RandyDandy on Sep 18th, 2018, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby southy » Sep 18th, 2018, 9:26 am

RandyDandy wrote:Let me get this straight. The government is providing free clean new needles and sometimes safe injection sites for drug addicts to service their addiction so they don't infect each other with HIV or Hepatitis....or OD and die or require medical services to prevent their death...but in the field or on the beach or in the back alley, after the drugs have hit home, probably the last thing on their addled minds is to find a used needle receptacle into which they could deposit said needle so non-druggies aren't exposed to those ugly diseases. While the government might be commended for their efforts, they seem to be forgetting that these people are ADDICTS, for crying out loud. Did I mention that these people are ADDICTS and often have little regard for anything beyond their next fix? That is their particular misfortune and society's yoke of shame. Perhaps if these funds were re-allocated for something like school lunches for low income families or free condoms..or school supplies.....and sports!
Don't see government giving out free beer or cigarettes, these first essential gateway drugs. Just wait until October 17 and watch the excrement hit the fan. We ain't seen nothing yet. Legal cannabis gets its due.

RandyDandy … a couple simple words explain everything: politicians who are trying to make themselves look good! Or if you want to sum it up in one word …. *bleep*!
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 790 posts

Postby twobits » Sep 19th, 2018, 6:05 pm

soupy wrote:

Fentanyl
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3563 posts

Postby twobits » Sep 19th, 2018, 6:34 pm

And now we have Penticton's TOP COP, playing politician. This guy is way out of bounds in his social justice comments. He is a law enforcement officer, not a Social Worker. His job is not to stand before Council and demand free housing for the homeless as a "first" step to solving chronic property crime and downtown vagrancy. Social housing is not in his wheelhouse. His wheelhouse is enforcing the laws. Enforce available vagrancy laws, arrest those drinking, doing drugs, or even urinating in public areas.
Load up the holding cells of the 10 million dollar RCMP building. If you are running out of room for the overflow of clients that don't get that you are serious about accommodating them at your overcrowded hotel suites......lobby us for more of that housing money because that is housing I will pay for until the Cretans realize they can't disrespect the entire population while they kill themselves with their addictions.
And maybe, if they were not treated as being unfortunate casualties of the evil world that 99% of the population does just fine in, the removal of free needles, food, housing, etc might motivate a change in behavior.
We need a system of help for these people but it must come with very clear and defined rules. Free housing OK. Drug subsitutes OK. But it comes with job training and reintegration. Two strikes.....fentanyl rules.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Bunnyhop likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3563 posts

Postby CTF » Sep 20th, 2018, 10:49 am

I am also not in support of Supt. Ted De Jager comments.

I know of one local homeless druggie who was on the catch and release program in and out of court for all kinds of crime. Finally even the judges sent this individual to jail reasonably long term. Once in jail he got the support and rehabilitation he needed to got clean and get his life sorted out. He is now actively employed in another Province.

De Jager needs to do his job and start enforcing the law - eventually if the judges see you there enough times they will send you to jail where there are resources you cannot walk away from.

I feel like Penticton made great progress when the king of catch and release Judge Sinclair retired but now we get sidelined with De Jager who wants to be a social justice warrior instead of an RCMP detachment commander.

Troutcreeker likes this post.
CTF
Fledgling

Liked in: 47 posts

Postby Darkre » Sep 21st, 2018, 12:19 pm

soupy wrote:
Darkre wrote:Step one - Build a lot of rehab/mental health facilities

Love the idea.
Who is paying for and running these facilities ? Where will they be located ?

Forgot about this thread.

As to where to put them, one of the better options would be to create a partnership with various native bands across the province to create "healing centres" for aboriginals. You would need to find similarly remote locations for other non-native intervention facilities across the province. Assign some of the money that the province is giving out to create supportive housing around the province to these locations, have a central facility on the property where patients receive food, counselling, support and entertainment. Include job training skills for when patients progress to that point in their recovery. There would also need to be larger intervention specific prison type hospitals to aid addicts through the first month to 6 weeks of recovery before they could be placed in the supportive programs above. Those first 6 weeks are crucial to giving these people the chance to sober up enough to make the choice of going rehab or back to the streets.

The above strategy could be combined with increased police focus on petty crimes. Additional officers might be needed but if they were to investigate and charge thieves that steal or chop up stolen bikes, shop lift, break in to cars and other small crimes it would further get criminals off the street. Any minute these criminals spend in jail is time they can't be on the streets causing issues for the general public.

Now if the governments were to make using drug use illegal again they could institute mandatory drug testing for anyone charged with a crime. If they are found to be under the influence, petty criminals could be given the option to immediately enter the rehab stream above instead of facing criminal charges and jail time.

The most important step would be having supportive housing once these people successfully complete the rehab programs. Housing that even welfare would be able to pay for would be needed with enough money left over for food. Allow them to work up to 10 hours a week with no reduction in benefits so they can start to build some self worth.

This will be to most controversial part. One thing I've noticed is people are willing to pay additional taxes when they know exactly where those dollars are being spent and can see the benefit to themselves in the tax. In this case you would have to sell the benefit as more then just be getting drug addicts off the street. It would be getting drug addicts that are forced to commit petty crimes to support their habit off the street. It wouldn't be about providing support services to these people with your money, it would be using your money to provide a solution to and combat crime permanently so that everyone can feel safer in their community. Every day they spend in a rehab centre is a day that they won't be on the street committing crimes in order to buy drugs. Hopefully once they complete rehab they will have enough resources to live without returning to drugs and/or crime to support themselves. While the anti-tax contingent would never be happy with any tax increase the easiest, and probably fairest, way to proceed would be a 1% increase in the GST across Canada with 1.5% of the total GST being redistributed to the provinces to fund the project. This would equate to about $12 billion per year to build and maintain these services. As twobits has suggested you could ask the insurance, and other industries for that matter, to contibute as well. Perhaps raising the amount to $15 billion. You could even bill this as a temporary measure. Hopefully as more people made their way through the program, the need for the program would start to drop and the tax increase could be reduced.

One final thought, with marijuana becoming legal it would be a great time to begin charging anyone that caught trafficking the remaining illegal narcotics with 1 count of attempted murder for every dose of narcotic that they are caught with. Especially if it happens to contain fentanyl.
Darkre
Board Meister

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby soupy » Sep 21st, 2018, 12:43 pm

@Darke

Looks like you got it figured out. Start compaigning.

In the meantime, i think these drop boxes aid in the amount of needles being disposed off irresponsbly. :130:
soupy
Board Meister

Next

Return to South Okanagan