Mayoral Debate

Mayoral Debate

Postby twobits » Oct 10th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Anyone watch it? It is available online.
And I am going to publicly eat crow here and say that Vaz completely *bleep* the bed. He is no longer capable. What is even worse for me to admit is that Cox won the debate by a very clear margin and would be the best choice for Mayor.
Now I have to reconcile how I went from a 1, 2, 3 predicted result to what should be a 3, 2, 1 if not for the senior faithful vote.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Bunnyhop likes this post.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 6850
Likes: 873 posts
Liked in: 3309 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby Bunnyhop » Oct 11th, 2018, 6:58 am

I didn’t watch the debate but just based on what I’ve seen so far in the campaign, I don’t see Cox as an effective mayor. He’s saying what people want to hear but offering no solutions. Feels like he’s looking for a blank cheque.

I’m no Jakubeit fan but better the devil you know than the devil you don’t maybe?

Tough choice and no good ones.
Bunnyhop
Board Meister
 
Posts: 698
Likes: 1240 posts
Liked in: 495 posts
Joined: Dec 13th, 2009, 6:47 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby pentona » Oct 11th, 2018, 7:34 am

Bunnyhop wrote:I didn’t watch the debate but just based on what I’ve seen so far in the campaign, I don’t see Cox as an effective mayor. He’s saying what people want to hear but offering no solutions. Feels like he’s looking for a blank cheque.

I’m no Jakubeit fan but better the devil you know than the devil you don’t maybe?

Tough choice and no good ones.


I agree with you. I DID, however, watch the debate, thought Cox had little basis for his promises. Vass didn't do that great, mainly due to his command of the English language but he still has my vote due to his Conservative views on spending.

Jak would be 2nd choice but would have to plug zee nose. He shouldn't be forgiven so easily for signing the Skaha Park/Waterslide deal with 500 people outside protesting, though I doubt he would pull such a stunt again; may have learned his lesson. I say it will be between Vass and Jak with Cox splitting the vote, possibly.
pentona
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 978
Likes: 246 posts
Liked in: 470 posts
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 4:38 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby Chessman » Oct 11th, 2018, 8:45 am

I did watch the entire debate amongst the 3 Mayor candidates that Miller invited.
It appears that now it is down to a two candidate race for Mayor.

Cox was better than I expected but I still have significant reservations about his abilities to work collaboratively with 6 elected Councillors, as result I would see him finishing second in the Mayor voting.

In a previous post, a writer referenced Jak as the “devil we know “ . I would not go so far as to call him a devil but the incumbent Mayor is someone we do know thru his experience as a Mayor and learning as a Mayor. Yes, he and the Council made a mistake on the initial stance on the Skaha Park development but they did eventually address the issue and maintain the park as it was and established a far reaching, community engaged process of creating a Parks and Rec Masterplan ( which the City really needed ) to give direction on parks and development within them for the future. Jak is the best candidate for Mayor and Vs the other lead choices.

Vas was awful in this last debate. His view and solutions are routed in the 1960’s, unfortunately it is almost the 2020’s and the world is ever faster changing. Vas relies on his past experiences that no doubt served him in an era of black and white TV, rotary dialed telephones and the Penticton Trade and Convention Centre having sales offices in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton but they don’t work in today’s technological/virtual world.
Also, if you watch the video of the debate he makes you wonder...does he have memory issues ? On one question he had difficulty responding and he stated “What is the term? when you want it , it’s not there “ and later when he was asked a question about the environment was trying to remember the name of the agency responsible in BC he appears to struggle and could only come up with “ that group down on the coast “. Ask yourself,Can Vas still do the job ?
I’m not on the Forum to debate, I don’t engage with cretins and there is nothing you can do about a sub 80 IQ.
Chessman
 
Posts: 46
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 30 posts
Joined: Sep 12th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby XT225 » Oct 11th, 2018, 10:51 am

Chessman wrote:I did watch the entire debate amongst the 3 Mayor candidates that Miller invited.
It appears that now it is down to a two candidate race for Mayor.

Cox was better than I expected but I still have significant reservations about his abilities to work collaboratively with 6 elected Councillors, as result I would see him finishing second in the Mayor voting.

In a previous post, a writer referenced Jak as the “devil we know “ . I would not go so far as to call him a devil but the incumbent Mayor is someone we do know thru his experience as a Mayor and learning as a Mayor. Yes, he and the Council made a mistake on the initial stance on the Skaha Park development but they did eventually address the issue and maintain the park as it was and established a far reaching, community engaged process of creating a Parks and Rec Masterplan ( which the City really needed ) to give direction on parks and development within them for the future. Jak is the best candidate for Mayor and Vs the other lead choices.

Vas was awful in this last debate. His view and solutions are routed in the 1960’s, unfortunately it is almost the 2020’s and the world is ever faster changing. Vas relies on his past experiences that no doubt served him in an era of black and white TV, rotary dialed telephones and the Penticton Trade and Convention Centre having sales offices in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton but they don’t work in today’s technological/virtual world.
Also, if you watch the video of the debate he makes you wonder...does he have memory issues ? On one question he had difficulty responding and he stated “What is the term? when you want it , it’s not there “ and later when he was asked a question about the environment was trying to remember the name of the agency responsible in BC he appears to struggle and could only come up with “ that group down on the coast “. Ask yourself,Can Vas still do the job ?


I am on the fence at present. I was going to vote for Vassalaki however his forum performance was pretty dismal. He seems to be living in the past. Might scrap the computer system at City Hall and bring back "Manual Underwoods"; who knows. LOL
I think that Jakabite learned from protest re Skaha Park and won't do that kind of thing again without lots of public input. I see it still, however (due to the senior vote) of a race between Jakabite and Vassalaki. Cox is trying to do exactly what Tom Dyas is attempting in Kelowna; skip running for councillor and go right to Mayor; a mistake in my opinion. Look at Bloomfield; he learned from his error last time when he ran for Penticton mayor; though he almost beat out Ashton. Now he is running for councillor instead; baby steps; a smart move on his part.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2567
Likes: 848 posts
Liked in: 691 posts
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 3:37 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby Chessman » Oct 11th, 2018, 11:28 am

XT225 ... funny comment about the “Manual Underwood’s “ , millennials will have to google that to get a laugh :smt045 .
Liked your comment about Bloomfield, I listened to the Councillors forum and he sounded like he would be a good addition to the next Council. It appears he has learned the best path for him ( and City ) to become a potential Mayor is by learning the ropes while on Council. Cox thinks he is above it and can become “the head honcho “ in one fell swoop. He is about to waste another 4 years of his supposed political career. With Cox losing again perhaps he will learn like Bloomfield?
I’m not on the Forum to debate, I don’t engage with cretins and there is nothing you can do about a sub 80 IQ.

XT225 likes this post.
Chessman
 
Posts: 46
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 30 posts
Joined: Sep 12th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby Bunnyhop » Oct 11th, 2018, 11:34 am

Chessman wrote:I did watch the entire debate amongst the 3 Mayor candidates that Miller invited.
It appears that now it is down to a two candidate race for Mayor.

Cox was better than I expected but I still have significant reservations about his abilities to work collaboratively with 6 elected Councillors, as result I would see him finishing second in the Mayor voting.

In a previous post, a writer referenced Jak as the “devil we know “ . I would not go so far as to call him a devil but the incumbent Mayor is someone we do know thru his experience as a Mayor and learning as a Mayor. Yes, he and the Council made a mistake on the initial stance on the Skaha Park development but they did eventually address the issue and maintain the park as it was and established a far reaching, community engaged process of creating a Parks and Rec Masterplan ( which the City really needed ) to give direction on parks and development within them for the future. Jak is the best candidate for Mayor and Vs the other lead choices.

Vas was awful in this last debate. His view and solutions are routed in the 1960’s, unfortunately it is almost the 2020’s and the world is ever faster changing. Vas relies on his past experiences that no doubt served him in an era of black and white TV, rotary dialed telephones and the Penticton Trade and Convention Centre having sales offices in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton but they don’t work in today’s technological/virtual world.
Also, if you watch the video of the debate he makes you wonder...does he have memory issues ? On one question he had difficulty responding and he stated “What is the term? when you want it , it’s not there “ and later when he was asked a question about the environment was trying to remember the name of the agency responsible in BC he appears to struggle and could only come up with “ that group down on the coast “. Ask yourself,Can Vas still do the job ?


I wasn’t referring to Jakubeit as the devil literally, was just using a well known phrase
Bunnyhop
Board Meister
 
Posts: 698
Likes: 1240 posts
Liked in: 495 posts
Joined: Dec 13th, 2009, 6:47 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby Darkre » Oct 12th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Unfortunately most people won’t take the time to watch the debates.

Vasaliki just doesn’t seem to have it anymore but stands a good chance of being elected due to the anyone but Jakubeit club. The way he fumbled answers and was constantly going through his papers so he could find his prepared answers does not breed confidence. I’ve never been a Vas fan but he used to be able to respond coherently and confidently without the use of prepared notes like we saw during the debate.

Cox has been surprisingly good in both debates. He says the right things and seems to have his fingers on the pulse of the city. If he had any council experience he’d probably be a shoe in for the job. He might be the best guy for the job but will his lack of experience prevent him from getting the job?

Jakubeit was Jakubeit. He’s come a long way over the last 4 years. I think the information coming from city hall has improved but will his early missteps as mayor prevent him from being re-elected?

I think the good performance by Cox and poor performance of Vas has made this election a little more interesting. I won’t be surprised if the top vote getter receives less than 40% of the vote. My guess is 38%
Darkre
Board Meister
 
Posts: 524
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 82 posts
Joined: Nov 5th, 2008, 9:27 am

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby twobits » Oct 13th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Darkre wrote:Unfortunately most people won’t take the time to watch the debates.

Vasaliki just doesn’t seem to have it anymore but stands a good chance of being elected due to the anyone but Jakubeit club. The way he fumbled answers and was constantly going through his papers so he could find his prepared answers does not breed confidence. I’ve never been a Vas fan but he used to be able to respond coherently and confidently without the use of prepared notes like we saw during the debate.

Cox has been surprisingly good in both debates. He says the right things and seems to have his fingers on the pulse of the city. If he had any council experience he’d probably be a shoe in for the job. He might be the best guy for the job but will his lack of experience prevent him from getting the job?

Jakubeit was Jakubeit. He’s come a long way over the last 4 years. I think the information coming from city hall has improved but will his early missteps as mayor prevent him from being re-elected?

I think the good performance by Cox and poor performance of Vas has made this election a little more interesting. I won’t be surprised if the top vote getter receives less than 40% of the vote. My guess is 38%


You and I are on the same page. This election just went from almost predicable (for Mayor) to a serious horse race IMO. I find myself actually rooting for Cox. Two weeks ago......not a hope.
He has been the best candidate in this campaign. Bloomfield lost to Ashton because of his "lack of experience". I don't think we can paint Cox with that same "inexperience" brush with his record of Chamber and many other board affiliations. He most clearly knows "Roberts Rules of Order" that Council meetings are conducted by. I have spoken with a few people who like myself, have been suitably impressed with Cox's knowledge of the issues as well as how the City fits into solutions for those issues as they relate to both Prov and Fed jurisdictions. No soundbites like we got from Vaz. No "I think things have improved in the last 2 yrs" Jak.
My only regret now is that Vaz entered the race to dilute the vote.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 6850
Likes: 873 posts
Liked in: 3309 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby fluffy » Oct 13th, 2018, 4:56 pm

I don't know, I read Mr. Cox's platform blurb online and couldn't shake the feeling that he was trotting out the same old talking points we've been listening to for decades (affordability, jobs, yadda yadda) without a hint of any solution in mind. If all you need to be Mayor is an ability to recognize a problem without solving it then just about anyone will do.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

Bunnyhop likes this post.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19329
Likes: 326 posts
Liked in: 4295 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 4:42 pm
Location: Ogo

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby Darkre » Oct 14th, 2018, 7:44 am

fluffy wrote:I don't know, I read Mr. Cox's platform blurb online and couldn't shake the feeling that he was trotting out the same old talking points we've been listening to for decades (affordability, jobs, yadda yadda) without a hint of any solution in mind. If all you need to be Mayor is an ability to recognize a problem without solving it then just about anyone will do.

None of the other candidates have put forth viable solutions either. Vas is stuck in the past and Jak is preaching more of the same. In fact, Cox's full platform is more detailed than any other candidates. Plus his campaign ads in the papers go into far more detail than any other candidate.

Cox's Platform - https://www.ourpenticton.ca/mission-index-impact

Jakubeit's Platform - https://andrew2018.ca/platform.aspx

Vasaliki's Platform - Oh right, he doesn't have a website... in 2018...
Darkre
Board Meister
 
Posts: 524
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 82 posts
Joined: Nov 5th, 2008, 9:27 am

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby fluffy » Oct 14th, 2018, 9:00 am

It's going to be a close race to be sure. It certainly looks like Mr. Vasilaki did a pretty good job of cutting his own throat at the mayoralty debate, he is not the contender he was a couple of weeks ago. Mr. Cox holds some noble ideals, but I see a lot of spend-spend-spend in his platform that might not have a realistic rooting in the financial reality that Penticton faces right now, plus I think that if he did gain office he would have a rude awakening on just how hard it is to deal with an electorate as sharply divided as Penticton's. Mr. Jakubiet has a huge hurdle to jump still in the mishandling of the Skaha Park issue, that is a big black mark on his resume that his political opponents will exploit to the fullest, but he does have experience on his side.

We certainly have a glut of council hopefuls this time out. I voted yesterday at the advance poll and to be truthful, after a good chunk of research I could only manage four votes for councilors. Lots of one issue candidates.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

rustled likes this post.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19329
Likes: 326 posts
Liked in: 4295 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 4:42 pm
Location: Ogo

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby Darkre » Oct 14th, 2018, 9:39 am

I always find it funny that Vasaliki is given a free pass on the Skaha waterslides debacle and the downtown core beautification project. He was on the council that approved the concept for both projects and never raised a concern until there was a public outcry. Then he flipped and flopped so he could protect his future political aspirations.

4 people like this post.
Darkre
Board Meister
 
Posts: 524
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 82 posts
Joined: Nov 5th, 2008, 9:27 am

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby southy » Oct 14th, 2018, 11:01 am

After watching and listening closely to the debate it left me thinking “really? These are three of our finest? Vass had a bad night – not sure what it is, age, health, medication, all of the above? Cox? Somewhat like you Fluffy I agree he stuck to the talking points and issues that stir people, he didn’t do it well, but he did it. Is it enough to get him in? Don’t think so. And then there is Jak. My oh my – Jak comes across with an attitude of been there done it – this is what we are doing – don't like it to bad! I really feel that the three candidates all lack the intellectual understanding of what it takes to manage the day to day business of a city our size. Not saying that I know, but I do know it takes a mayor with a strong vision, someone who is educated within the realm of civic politics, who understands the issues of the day and days moving forward and is strongly motivated to finding positive solutions, solutions that work. Unless the strongest of the strong running for council get elected, I’m afraid it could be another long and frustrating 48 months.
If I was to place a bet as to who is going to sit in the mayor's chair I'd say, Vass. Would it be the correct choice? Sadly, there isn’t a correct choice in this election.

pentona likes this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2022
Likes: 386 posts
Liked in: 689 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 3:14 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby pentona » Oct 14th, 2018, 1:04 pm

southy wrote:After watching and listening closely to the debate it left me thinking “really? These are three of our finest? Vass had a bad night – not sure what it is, age, health, medication, all of the above? Cox? Somewhat like you Fluffy I agree he stuck to the talking points and issues that stir people, he didn’t do it well, but he did it. Is it enough to get him in? Don’t think so. And then there is Jak. My oh my – Jak comes across with an attitude of been there done it – this is what we are doing – don't like it to bad! I really feel that the three candidates all lack the intellectual understanding of what it takes to manage the day to day business of a city our size. Not saying that I know, but I do know it takes a mayor with a strong vision, someone who is educated within the realm of civic politics, who understands the issues of the day and days moving forward and is strongly motivated to finding positive solutions, solutions that work. Unless the strongest of the strong running for council get elected, I’m afraid it could be another long and frustrating 48 months.
If I was to place a bet as to who is going to sit in the mayor's chair I'd say, Vass. Would it be the correct choice? Sadly, there isn’t a correct choice in this election.


I agree with most of what you are saying. I voted early, plugged my nose and decided to go with Jak. I think there is going to be a lot of "eeny meany miney moe" voting going on this time, at least for Mayor. Definitely not an ideal situation.

Remember the mayor is only one vote in decisions. Who we elect as councillors is every bit as important.
pentona
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 978
Likes: 246 posts
Liked in: 470 posts
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 4:38 pm

Next

Return to South Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests