Mayoral Debate

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby Chessman » Oct 22nd, 2018, 7:53 am

Well the debate is over for Mayor. Vas won in a landslide. While I am not happy with the result it could be forseen that if the blue hair vote was motivated and got out to vote Vas would have a real chance. Cox and Jak split the balance of the vote other than a few votes for other the fringe mayor candidates.
Now the fun begins, in time the citizens will turn on this Mayor and Council like they have done with almost every other elected slate over the last 30 years ( save Dan Ashton ) ,that is Penticton’s M.O.
This Council will be very divided and the new Mayor will be a cluster.
God help us!
I’m not on the Forum to debate, I don’t engage with cretins and there is nothing you can do about a sub 80 IQ.
Chessman
 
Posts: 46
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 30 posts
Joined: Sep 12th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby twobits » Oct 22nd, 2018, 5:43 pm

Chessman wrote: Cox and Jak split the balance of the vote other than a few votes for other the fringe mayor candidates.


Honestly, I thought it would be a horse race between the three. But Vaz winning by such a clear margin speaks volumes more than the grey vote. To anyone that thinks the outcome would have been different had Cox not diluted the vote only needs to note the Jak came in third, not second.....and if Cox had not been in the race, his vote numbers would have likely been been split pretty close to 50/50 between Vaz abd Jak. Still a Jak spanking. Also commensurate with his resume and history of business success.
The hockey school could hire him for some marketing job. Or the Bike Barn as a contract lobbyist for more bike lanes.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 6858
Likes: 877 posts
Liked in: 3320 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby Darkre » Oct 24th, 2018, 7:04 pm

https://www.similkameenspotlight.com/news/pentictons-mayor-elect-already-under-scrutiny/#

Apparently someone in Penticton is under investigation for election offenses. Story implies it is Vas.

“The Penticton RCMP are currently investigating an offence under the Local Government Act, allegedly having been committed by a candidate. No further information is being released at this time,” said Const. James Grandy
Darkre
Board Meister
 
Posts: 524
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 82 posts
Joined: Nov 5th, 2008, 9:27 am

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby XT225 » Oct 24th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Darkre wrote:https://www.similkameenspotlight.com/news/pentictons-mayor-elect-already-under-scrutiny/#

Apparently someone in Penticton is under investigation for election offenses. Story implies it is Vas.

“The Penticton RCMP are currently investigating an offence under the Local Government Act, allegedly having been committed by a candidate. No further information is being released at this time,” said Const. James Grandy


Likely just sour grapes by someone who voted for one of the other candidates. Shaking a couple of outstretched hands should not be considered a violation, I wouldn't think, unless he said "vote for me" or "thanks for your vote" and I doubt that he did. Lets face it, if Vass was somehow disqualified at this point, guess who would be our new mayor? The one with the next highest number of votes.. OMG; don't even want to think about it. :200:
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2567
Likes: 848 posts
Liked in: 691 posts
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 3:37 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby Darkre » Oct 24th, 2018, 8:50 pm

XT225 wrote:
Darkre wrote:https://www.similkameenspotlight.com/news/pentictons-mayor-elect-already-under-scrutiny/#

Apparently someone in Penticton is under investigation for election offenses. Story implies it is Vas.

“The Penticton RCMP are currently investigating an offence under the Local Government Act, allegedly having been committed by a candidate. No further information is being released at this time,” said Const. James Grandy


Likely just sour grapes by someone who voted for one of the other candidates. Shaking a couple of outstretched hands should not be considered a violation, I wouldn't think, unless he said "vote for me" or "thanks for your vote" and I doubt that he did. Lets face it, if Vass was somehow disqualified at this point, guess who would be our new mayor? The one with the next highest number of votes.. OMG; don't even want to think about it. :200:

The complaint was filed at the polling station when it occurred.

I actually don’t like that the local RCMP investigate and local Crown Counsel decides how to proceed. There could be local bias against one candidate compared to another. This seems like something that should be handled by Elections BC so that there is consistency across the province.
Darkre
Board Meister
 
Posts: 524
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 82 posts
Joined: Nov 5th, 2008, 9:27 am

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby XT225 » Oct 25th, 2018, 6:38 am

Darkre wrote:The complaint was filed at the polling station when it occurred.

I actually don’t like that the local RCMP investigate and local Crown Counsel decides how to proceed. There could be local bias against one candidate compared to another. This seems like something that should be handled by Elections BC so that there is consistency across the province.


Ok, got it. I agree that no local authorities should be involved. Far too much chance for bias.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2567
Likes: 848 posts
Liked in: 691 posts
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 3:37 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby rustled » Oct 25th, 2018, 7:33 am

It'll be interesting to see whether there's more to this than someone shaking the hands of people he knows. Plenty of us shake the hands of people we haven't seen for a while, including at polling booths. If merely shaking hands with people is found to be campaigning, a great many of us need to stop campaigning.

Also: if one of the people elected is disqualified, the person with the next-most-votes does not replace them. We would have a bi-election.
rustled
Guru
 
Posts: 6246
Likes: 9381 posts
Liked in: 7424 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby rustled » Oct 26th, 2018, 3:56 pm

How odd.

From the way it's written up in the Western, it would seem Vassilaki exited the polling station by walking past the people lined up waiting to vote, instead of through the back door of the hall, the route that would not have taken him past the people lined up waiting to cast their votes.

If this is correct, I'd like to see an explanation. I doubt anything will come of the complaint. In the past, other experienced politicians have also contravened the rules at polling places, and nothing was ever done about it.
rustled
Guru
 
Posts: 6246
Likes: 9381 posts
Liked in: 7424 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby twobits » Oct 26th, 2018, 6:14 pm

rustled wrote:How odd.

From the way it's written up in the Western, it would seem Vassilaki exited the polling station by walking past the people lined up waiting to vote, instead of through the back door of the hall, the route that would not have taken him past the people lined up waiting to cast their votes.

If this is correct, I'd like to see an explanation. I doubt anything will come of the complaint. In the past, other experienced politicians have also contravened the rules at polling places, and nothing was ever done about it.


What would be more odd is a challenge from the losing candidates. They got spanked and have the common sense to accept loss instead of looking for a technicality.
The election will never be overturned because Vaz went out the front door instead of the back and shook hands with 10 or 20 people on his way back to his car.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Troutcreeker likes this post.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 6858
Likes: 877 posts
Liked in: 3320 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby rustled » Oct 27th, 2018, 8:41 am

Of course the election won't be overturned.

But while I had felt it would be ignorant to complain of him shaking hands, I now see there may be more to it than that.

If I'm reading it right, he did not do what he was supposed to do at the polling station: exit through the rear of the building. (As far as I could tell, the exit route was not optional.)

This begs the question, why did Vassilaki choose instead to take a route the was expected not to take, a route which took him past the line-up of people who had not yet voted?

To my mind, his choice to do so gives legitimacy to a complaint I had otherwise seen as nonsensical.

Again, this is if I'm reading the story correctly.

And as I mentioned earlier, we have previously seen other examples of municipal candidates campaigning at or too near polling stations on voting day. Clear contraventions of the rules ignored, and no one held accountable.

Even if the complaint is valid, Vassilaki won't be the first to break these rules and get away with it.
rustled
Guru
 
Posts: 6246
Likes: 9381 posts
Liked in: 7424 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby XT225 » Oct 27th, 2018, 8:56 am

rustled wrote:If I'm reading it right, he did not do what he was supposed to do at the polling station: exit through the rear of the building. (As far as I could tell, the exit route was not optional.)

This begs the question, why did Vassilaki choose instead to take a route the was expected not to take, a route which took him past the line-up of people who had not yet voted?



Where is it written that he was supposed to leave by the rear exit? If there is any truth to that requirement, perhaps he was just taking the shortest route to their vehicle for his mother who has mobility issues.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2567
Likes: 848 posts
Liked in: 691 posts
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 3:37 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby twobits » Oct 27th, 2018, 4:16 pm

XT225 wrote:
Where is it written that he was supposed to leave by the rear exit? If there is any truth to that requirement, perhaps he was just taking the shortest route to their vehicle for his mother who has mobility issues.


It is not XT. The rear exit has stairs to navigate. Plenty of wheelchairs and walkers come out of the front entrance. Rust is just tossing grenades without any fuse. Am actually surprised he didn't know this or verify it before suggesting an investigation was required.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 6858
Likes: 877 posts
Liked in: 3320 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby XT225 » Oct 27th, 2018, 4:24 pm

twobits wrote:
It is not XT. The rear exit has stairs to navigate. Plenty of wheelchairs and walkers come out of the front entrance. Rust is just tossing grenades without any fuse. Am actually surprised he didn't know this or verify it before suggesting an investigation was required.


Thank you, twobits, for clarifying that. I asked Mr. Google to find such a rule and he could not come up with anything. Unless someone has video of what Vass was accused of (and if it was something more than just a handshake and greeting), there doesn't appear to be any violation at all. Perhaps someone else witnessed how Andrew and Jason voted and did they use the rear exit, etc.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2567
Likes: 848 posts
Liked in: 691 posts
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 3:37 pm

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby twobits » Oct 27th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Or someone will suggest Vaz brought his mobility challenged mother to vote so that he could walk back out the front entrance to influence the vote.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

XT225 likes this post.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 6858
Likes: 877 posts
Liked in: 3320 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby southy » Oct 27th, 2018, 6:01 pm

This thread is beyond belief. Vass shakes a hand or two ... He didn't lead them to the ballot box and say "vote for me". Let's put things in perspective. If there was any influencing in this election the biggest influencer was jak during his four year term as mayor. That's all there is folks not much more to see.

2 people like this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2024
Likes: 390 posts
Liked in: 692 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 3:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest