Bike Valet !!

Re: Bike Valet !!

Postby spooker » Oct 17th, 2018, 8:32 pm

JagXKR wrote:So these percentage numbers are being pulled from where? Nevermind I know.

Glad you're familiar with the Portland study ... https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/article/158497 ... a study run out of UVic found similar numbers when surveying Kelowna/WestKelowna a year ago ...

JagXKR wrote:Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea of the market having a bike paddock but the vast majority of those down there (let's pull a number out of my ... like 99.9%) drove a vehicle.
How much money do you spend on something so few use in the pursuit of an idyllic, but myopic, dream? :dash:

How much money do they spend on expanding Hwy 97? $67 million ... how much does it cost to paint a white on a street? as little as $5,000 per 1.5km ... even the similar distance (5.4km) of separated cycle tracks in downtown Victoria cost only $14.5 million ... the payoff? lower pollution, better health, less damage on the roadways, fewer parking requirements ...

Studies have shown that commuters on bicycles are the happiest at their destination ... and happy people spend more money ... isn't that a good idea for the market vendors?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/04/25/new-research-indicates-cycling-to-work-has-extraordinary-health-benefits/#57c03c123e62
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 757 posts

Postby JagXKR » Oct 17th, 2018, 10:41 pm

Comparing Penticton to Portland? You're joking right?

Portland median age 36.7

http://www.city-data.com/city/Portland-Oregon.html

Kelowna median age 44.7

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-rece ... ll&TABID=1

Penticton median age 52.4

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-rece ... =01&B1=All
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1158 posts

Postby soupy » Oct 18th, 2018, 6:11 am

Thought we were talking about bike Valet service and how good it is ...

spooker likes this post.
soupy
Board Meister

Liked in: 521 posts

Postby JagXKR » Oct 18th, 2018, 8:57 am

You are correct. Got a bit derailed.

But I ask what good is riding to the market on Saturday if you are buying product? I guess one or 2 small items is ok but last time I was there I filled 2 bags and some of the produce would bruise very easily. So biking NOT an option. I'm all for people getting out and exercising especially if it does not cost me money and this bike paddock seems not to cost me anything so ...ok.

They should get sponsor money from the bike shops here. After all who will benefit the most from more users? Just sell a bit more spandex at outrageous prices and voila bike paddock paid for. Though the buying base for such is less than other areas mainly due to a much much older demographic. Business 101 - Know your customer.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1158 posts

Postby soupy » Oct 18th, 2018, 9:04 am

JagXKR wrote:You are correct. Got a bit derailed.

But I ask what good is riding to the market on Saturday if you are buying product? I guess one or 2 small items is ok but last time I was there I filled 2 bags and some of the produce would bruise very easily. So biking NOT an option. I'm all for people getting out and exercising especially if it does not cost me money and this bike paddock seems not to cost me anything so ...ok.

They should get sponsor money from the bike shops here. After all who will benefit the most from more users? Just sell a bit more spandex at outrageous prices and voila bike paddock paid for. Though the buying base for such is less than other areas mainly due to a much much older demographic. Business 101 - Know your customer.

Yes, the bike valet is not meant for everybody.
BUT, with the hundreds (likely thousands) that do attend the market each Saturday this is a fantastic service to support. Volunteer run by donation to boot !!
Many people live close, and can ride a bike, use a backpack or basket on their bike for products.
Really it gives me piece of mind as there are not many bike racks in the downtown area, and using the Valet service i know my bike is safe and secure.
soupy
Board Meister

Postby southy » Oct 18th, 2018, 10:07 am

soupy wrote:Yes, the bike valet is not meant for everybody. BUT, with the hundreds (likely thousands) that do attend the market each Saturday this is a fantastic service to support. Volunteer run by donation to boot !! Many people live close, and can ride a bike, use a backpack or basket on their bike for products. Really it gives me piece of mind as there are not many bike racks in the downtown area, and using the Valet service i know my bike is safe and secure.

I roll my eyes whenever I hear about the hundreds or is it likely thousands that attend the market each Saturday. Kind of like the actual number of cyclists in town. I have said this many times and will say it one more time it is nothing more than a glorified social event!! If you are a regular to the Saturday market you will notice it is the same people week after week. Sure there may be some tourists wondering around, but really, it's more of a hindrance for downtown retailers and locals who get it and stay away from the downtown core on Saturdays. This market could be moved to anywhere in the city why the disruption and closure of Main Street downtown??? Job creation for the DPA? Another city hall justification for the downtown revite? Nope I don't like the market at all.
And Soupy … you just nailed it . "there are not many bike racks in the downtown area,".
So why the hell didn't the city in their wisdom and the mayor and council who seemed to be so vocally supportive of cycling in Penticton include bike racks strategically placed throughout the downtown core during their revite? One more for the list I guess.

I also find it interesting that whenever a discussion comes up about the use of bicycles in Penticton the term is always "cyclists". As I said before cyclists to me mean spandex clad, attitude maxed, look at me's. Yet I have never heard said cyclists talking about all of the Mountain Bikers in the area. And I never hear the said Mountain Bikers bitching about needing more riding trails or dealing with whacked out drivers, Why is it that Soupy? I have encountered Mountain Bikers and you know what ... lovely people ... beautiful people. Respectful .. always smiling, always have a wave or a hello. Unlike those ego driven cyclists around town. Perhaps the city should spend more time and money focusing on mountain biking rather than spraying the paint on asphalt around town for a small group of self entitled ego maniacs. And that's all I have to say about that.

twobits likes this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 692 posts

Postby spooker » Oct 18th, 2018, 11:20 am

Those of us who do go to the market by bike plan on buying stuff and prepare accordingly ... depending on the list of stuff I will mount a set of panniers on my rear rack and bring an extra backpack for overflow ... if my plan is more the "Costco" quantity trip then I tow my trailer behind me ... and if my wife goes with me then we have her rear basket for more capacity too

While I like the rack there at Front & Main I'd rather use the bike valet ... with my lock, if there is an attempt to break it, that will get people's attention and I hope thwart anyone wanting to take off with it ... with the bike valet there isn't that worry ...

And again, the bike racks will fill up quickly in the better months ... when people are aware of the secure parking for their bikes it makes them more likely to use them ...

"People on bikes" is the best way to describe us ... during the week you can find me on a mountain bike up the trails, or clipped in sporting spandex cruising the highway shoulder, and many times in my work attire with my right cuff strapped up as I ride to and from the office ... other days I could even be behind the wheel of our vehicle ... doesn't change my attitude or who I am (though I admit to worse moods when driving in traffic) ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

2 people like this post.
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 757 posts

Postby XT225 » Oct 18th, 2018, 12:30 pm

soupy wrote:
Really it gives me piece of mind as there are not many bike racks in the downtown area, and using the Valet service i know my bike is safe and secure.

If I ever rode my bike downtown, I would have little choice but to use the valet service as it provides security. These days, bike racks without someone watching over them are pointless if your bike is worth anyting. Saw a guy yesterday, riding around town, no helmet, bmx bike, on the sidewalk, and sticking out of his backpack was a large set of bolt cutters. There is little doubt what he was up to. :-X

soupy likes this post.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 691 posts

Postby soupy » Oct 18th, 2018, 1:14 pm

My points are in red

southy wrote:
soupy wrote:Yes, the bike valet is not meant for everybody. BUT, with the hundreds (likely thousands) that do attend the market each Saturday this is a fantastic service to support. Volunteer run by donation to boot !! Many people live close, and can ride a bike, use a backpack or basket on their bike for products. Really it gives me piece of mind as there are not many bike racks in the downtown area, and using the Valet service i know my bike is safe and secure.

I roll my eyes whenever I hear about the hundreds or is it likely thousands that attend the market each Saturday.

I live very close, and attend the market quite often. LOTS of people attend. Kind of like the actual number of cyclists in town. I have said this many times and will say it one more time it is nothing more than a glorified social event!! If you are a regular to the Saturday market you will notice it is the same people week after week. Sure there may be some tourists wondering around, but really, it's more of a hindrance for downtown retailers and locals who get it and stay away from the downtown core on Saturdays.
I am a local who doesnt stay away, and it sure doesnt look like the retailers are upset at the massive amout of foot traffic. Hence why many have tents on the sidewalks outfront their stores
This market could be moved to anywhere in the city why the disruption and closure of Main Street downtown??? What is being disrupted ? It isn't an arterial route for travel Job creation for the DPA? Another city hall justification for the downtown revite? Nope I don't like the market at all.
And Soupy … you just nailed it . "there are not many bike racks in the downtown area,".
So why the hell didn't the city in their wisdom and the mayor and council who seemed to be so vocally supportive of cycling in Penticton include bike racks strategically placed throughout the downtown core during their revite? One more for the list I guess.
More will come

I also find it interesting that whenever a discussion comes up about the use of bicycles in Penticton the term is always "cyclists".
Pretty sure "cyclists" is used as a broad term for all riders of different bikes. Road bikes, mountain bikes, cruiser bikes, unicycles ... they are all cyclists
As I said before cyclists to me mean spandex clad, attitude maxed, look at me's. Yet I have never heard said cyclists talking about all of the Mountain Bikers in the area. And I never hear the said Mountain Bikers bitching about needing more riding trails or dealing with whacked out drivers, Why is it that Soupy?
I wasn't complaining about whacked out drivers or more trails ... please clarify
I have encountered Mountain Bikers and you know what ... lovely people ... beautiful people. Respectful .. always smiling, always have a wave or a hello. Unlike those ego driven cyclists around town.
LOL. This last sentence sounds like a soundbite from something Trump would say
Perhaps the city should spend more time and money focusing on mountain biking rather than spraying the paint on asphalt around town for a small group of self entitled ego maniacs. And that's all I have to say about that.
soupy
Board Meister

Postby twobits » Oct 19th, 2018, 5:30 pm

southy wrote:
I roll my eyes whenever I hear about the hundreds or is it likely thousands that attend the market each Saturday. Kind of like the actual number of cyclists in town. I have said this many times and will say it one more time it is nothing more than a glorified social event!! If you are a regular to the Saturday market you will notice it is the same people week after week. Sure there may be some tourists wondering around, but really, it's more of a hindrance for downtown retailers and locals who get it and stay away from the downtown core on Saturdays. This market could be moved to anywhere in the city why the disruption and closure of Main Street downtown??? Job creation for the DPA? Another city hall justification for the downtown revite? Nope I don't like the market at all.

I also find it interesting that whenever a discussion comes up about the use of bicycles in Penticton the term is always "cyclists". As I said before cyclists to me mean spandex clad, attitude maxed, look at me's. Yet I have never heard said cyclists talking about all of the Mountain Bikers in the area. And I never hear the said Mountain Bikers bitching about needing more riding trails or dealing with whacked out drivers, Why is it that Soupy? I have encountered Mountain Bikers and you know what ... lovely people ... beautiful people. Respectful .. always smiling, always have a wave or a hello. Unlike those ego driven cyclists around town. Perhaps the city should spend more time and money focusing on mountain biking rather than spraying the paint on asphalt around town for a small group of self entitled ego maniacs. And that's all I have to say about that.

The best and most truthful post and summation of the cyclist BS story in Penticton. The real painful kick to the arse for them is as you pointed out.....where in the millions spent downtown in the last cpl years are the friggen bike racks? LOL
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3320 posts

Postby seewood » Oct 20th, 2018, 7:46 am

Perhaps a bit off topic but currently I have 3 insured vehicles. Trust me , I pay plenty of road tax and can sleep very well at night in that I'm paying my share of road tax from the fuel I purchase.
I also ride both MT. and road bikes. Spandex clad, shorts might be but that is about it. Do I see self entitled road bikers while riding and driving, you bet. Worst of the lot are the ones partaking in the perhaps latest fad and that is putting a bit wider tires with lower air pressure on their road bikes and then go for a ride on the KVR at 30 kph. Someone or some dog is going to get hurt before long with the rider going over the bars. I'd like to offer a boot to the rider to get him/her a bit further down the trail as they sail by. Something wrong with keeping those bikes on the asphalt?
As mentioned. the MT. bikers seem to have a whole different outlook when they approach walkers and dogs. No problem there.
I don't go to the market , pretty much anywhere, but if there is a safe secure spot to park the bike while doing a walk about, great thing.
Too many scum sucking, crack head thieves wanting to steel your bike if tied to a post. I'd love to ride my bike to the community center, but won't leave it chained up outside for that very reason.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

2 people like this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1295 posts

Postby XT225 » Oct 20th, 2018, 8:40 am

seewood wrote:Perhaps a bit off topic but currently I have 3 insured vehicles. Trust me , I pay plenty of road tax and can sleep very well at night in that I'm paying my share of road tax from the fuel I purchase.
I also ride both MT. and road bikes. Spandex clad, shorts might be but that is about it. Do I see self entitled road bikers while riding and driving, you bet. Worst of the lot are the ones partaking in the perhaps latest fad and that is putting a bit wider tires with lower air pressure on their road bikes and then go for a ride on the KVR at 30 kph. Someone or some dog is going to get hurt before long with the rider going over the bars. I'd like to offer a boot to the rider to get him/her a bit further down the trail as they sail by. Something wrong with keeping those bikes on the asphalt?
As mentioned. the MT. bikers seem to have a whole different outlook when they approach walkers and dogs. No problem there.
I don't go to the market , pretty much anywhere, but if there is a safe secure spot to park the bike while doing a walk about, great thing.
Too many scum sucking, crack head thieves wanting to steel your bike if tied to a post. I'd love to ride my bike to the community center, but won't leave it chained up outside for that very reason.

Its pretty hard to take your bike anywhere these days and lock it up and expecting it to be there upon your return, with these thieves who carry bolt cutters and have no respect for other people's property. A Valet service with enclosed compound with a security guard on duty is about the only safe place to leave it these days. I wish the police would attempt to eliminate bike thefts rather than ignore what they consider petty crimes. They could start by nailing each biker NOT wearing a helmet and NOT having a light on their bikes at night. None of these thieves would want to have to play by those rules and might just stop riding (and stealing, to some degree). It would be a start, at least.

3 people like this post.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 691 posts

Previous

Return to South Okanagan