Penticton Voter Turnout

Re: Penticton Voter Turnout

Postby twobits » Oct 19th, 2018, 5:30 pm

I heard some disturbing news yesterday. It appears City bylaw officers were hanging out at the South Main advanced voting location, the Seniors Drop In Center. Seems that so many people were trying to vote early this year to avoid a repeat of the last election bottleneck that even their very generous sized parking lot was overwhelmed and people parked on the street to go cast a ballot. Many dozens of people were ticketed if they parked on the east side of South Main and obstructed the bike lane.
Now before anyone says they were parked illegally and should have been ticketed.....I would have to wonder why, for the ease of access to exercise a democratic right that is actually encouraged by our leaders....would bylaw officers be out ticketing people trying to just bloody vote???? Is there no one smart enough anywhere in the hierarchy to say "stand down on parking enforcement around fricken polling stations"?? I mean this seriously. They encourage people to get out and vote and then ticket them because there is not enough parking at the venues they provide for people trying to vote.
The City provides free bus fares on election day to encourage the vote. They should cancel every parking ticket given to people trying to vote as well.
Sorry for the rant but this ticketing voters is so beyond any kind of stupid that I can wrap my head around.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

seewood likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3793 posts

Postby pentona » Oct 19th, 2018, 5:36 pm

twobits wrote:I heard some disturbing news yesterday. It appears City bylaw officers were hanging out at the South Main advanced voting location, the Seniors Drop In Center. Seems that so many people were trying to vote early this year to avoid a repeat of the last election bottleneck that even their very generous sized parking lot was overwhelmed and people parked on the street to go cast a ballot. Many dozens of people were ticketed if they parked on the east side of South Main and obstructed the bike lane.
Now before anyone says they were parked illegally and should have been ticketed.....I would have to wonder why, for the ease of access to exercise a democratic right that is actually encouraged by our leaders....would bylaw officers be out ticketing people trying to just bloody vote???? Is there no one smart enough anywhere in the hierarchy to say "stand down on parking enforcement around fricken polling stations"?? I mean this seriously. They encourage people to get out and vote and then ticket them because there is not enough parking at the venues they provide for people trying to vote.
The City provides free bus fares on election day to encourage the vote. They should cancel every parking ticket given to people trying to vote as well.
Sorry for the rant but this ticketing voters is so beyond any kind of stupid that I can wrap my head around.

There was an announcement by the City on their FB page (I know...you're not on FB) that those tickets were promptly all cancelled.

City of Penticton - Municipality
23 hrs ·
The City of Penticton wishes to advise drivers whose vehicles were ticketed during today's advance voting at the Seniors’ Drop-In Centre, located at 2965 South Main Street, that those tickets have been cancelled. For Saturday's General voting at the Penticton Trade and Conference Centre, turnout is expected to be high. Drivers are reminded to observed grid lines and conventional locations when parking their vehicles. Placing vehicles on lawns, sidewalks and other non marked parking areas is strongly discouraged. In advance, thank you for your cooperation.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 595 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 19th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Thank you Pentona. You're right, I don't FB or tweet. But I also have to wonder how many of the ticketed vehicle owners also have not received this message for the same reason. Has there been any other media reach out anyone is aware of?
I would also hope that some Bylaw officers were told that sometimes they should call the boss and ask.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3793 posts

Postby pentona » Oct 19th, 2018, 6:39 pm

twobits wrote:Thank you Pentona. You're right, I don't FB or tweet. But I also have to wonder how many of the ticketed vehicle owners also have not received this message for the same reason. Has there been any other media reach out anyone is aware of?
I would also hope that some Bylaw officers were told that sometimes they should call the boss and ask.

I tried but couldn't find the same info re the cancellation of tickets on the City of Penticton Website. If its there, its buried deeply.

One would think that it would be possible for the Bylaw dept to contact via phone or even be told to drive to the residence of all the ticketed vehicles and either apologize or leave a note in their mailboxes. Would be a lot of work but it could be done. I would sort of expect an apology in the paper(s) at the very least but then not everyone reads the papers either.

Regardless, the Bylaw was heavy handed that day and hopefully were given a blast by their boss.
pentona
Übergod

Postby wanderingchef » Oct 19th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Your right to vote supersedes bylaws and basic common sense? Just because you are going to vote does not give you the right to park illegally. It is Lazy, selfish and down right stupid to justify parking like a dink because your going to vote!

Please tell me what other laws or bylaws do you think we should relax on voting days........

soupy likes this post.
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby pentona » Oct 19th, 2018, 10:02 pm

wanderingchef wrote:Your right to vote supersedes bylaws and basic common sense? Just because you are going to vote does not give you the right to park illegally. It is Lazy, selfish and down right stupid to justify parking like a dink because your going to vote!

Please tell me what other laws or bylaws do you think we should relax on voting days........

The parking lot at this particular venue is woefully inadequate for such a overwhelming turnout, plus they hold Bingo on thursdays, making it enough tougher to find parking. Perhaps not the best choice of days and locations but thats what was chosen.
I think it was a wise choice to cancel all the parking tickets considering the situation. Lets focus on the positive, in that the advanced polls are showing increased numbers and interest in the overall election. :D
pentona
Übergod

Postby Drip_Torch » Oct 20th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Well that was painless. Kudos to COP for recognizing the shortcomings of the last election. Lots of parking, no line up and a very quick and efficient process.

If you haven't voted today, get at it, you really have nothing to fear.

From wheels stopped to wheels turning in less than 4 minutes.

:up:
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

soupy likes this post.
Drip_Torch
Übergod

Liked in: 1149 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Oct 20th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Drip_Torch wrote:Well that was painless. Kudos to COP for recognizing the shortcomings of the last election. Lots of parking, no line up and a very quick and efficient process.

If you haven't voted today, get at it, you really have nothing to fear.

From wheels stopped to wheels turning in less than 4 minutes.

:up:

Thanks! Us EO’s were working hard! ;)

Had lots of positive feedback from voters as they left.

2 people like this post.
TreeGuy

Liked in: 3635 posts

Postby Darkre » Oct 20th, 2018, 8:53 pm

southy wrote:8989

Congrats southy!

We all way underestimated. Over 11,000 votes, yikes!

soupy likes this post.
Darkre
Board Meister

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby fluffy » Oct 21st, 2018, 7:54 am

I'm impressed with the turnout this year, it says something good about our citizens that so many are taking an active interest in local politics compared to years past. The point spread on the mayors' race surprised me, I really thought it would be closer but it does make sense when I think about it. There was a huge call out for change from the voting public, and it's just human nature to go with a familiar face in these sort of races. Congratulations to the Mayor-Elect and all the successful council candidates.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4357 posts

Postby soupy » Oct 21st, 2018, 9:02 am

First time voting in penticton elections.
Amazed how smooth it went yesterday at the rec centre.

Was expecting at least 10-15 mins.

Was in and out in 3 mins !!!
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 699 posts

Electoral Reform

Postby Love horses » Oct 21st, 2018, 9:59 am

Could someone post, for demonstration sake, how Penticton election may have looked with Proportional Representation?
Love horses

Liked in: 0 post

Postby pentona » Oct 21st, 2018, 10:39 am

fluffy wrote:I'm impressed with the turnout this year, it says something good about our citizens that so many are taking an active interest in local politics compared to years past. The point spread on the mayors' race surprised me, I really thought it would be closer but it does make sense when I think about it. There was a huge call out for change from the voting public, and it's just human nature to go with a familiar face in these sort of races. Congratulations to the Mayor-Elect and all the successful council candidates.

My take on the Penticton election is this:

I believe that if Cox had not run, it would have been a very close race between Vass and Jakubeit; possibly Jak would have won. The young people will likely blame the seniors for electing Vass; however it was more likely the young people that split the vote, voting for either Cox or Jakubeit. I believe that the young people did come out this time. Would young people vote for Vass? Not too likely.

I also think that Cox should have run for councillor first and gained some experience on council before taking a run for mayor; he would have easily won. (this style of running...going for mayor before being on council failed in Penticton and Kelowna). The public wants to see experience before going for top dog. A bonus if Cox had become councillor would have been that Sentes would most likely be gone as she came in last place of the six winners.

blueliner likes this post.
pentona
Übergod

Postby rustled » Oct 21st, 2018, 1:44 pm

My take: the elders have spoken. "Change Penticton back to NO changes, and keep everything just as it is."

Interesting that Kimberly, Vassilaki and Robinson have all been forgiven for anything voters were unhappy about the last time they were involved. Perhaps people don't actually recall what they were complaining about the last few times they visited the polls.

Unsurprising with our demographic, but disappointing. So many people claim they are only thinking of their grandchildren, but they don't seem to understand their grandchildren's needs and wants don't actually align with what these elders think they should need and want.

I'm rather curious to see a breakdown of voter turnout by age. Stats as of 2016:
    20 to 64 years:18,345
    65 years and over: 9,800
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 8812 posts

Postby coolworx » Oct 21st, 2018, 4:03 pm

My Take: Folks are sick and tired of tripping over drug addicts and drunks.

soupy likes this post.
coolworx
Fledgling

Liked in: 43 posts

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan