Penticton Voter Turnout

pentona
Übergod

Re: Penticton Voter Turnout

Post by pentona »

rustled wrote:My take: the elders have spoken. "Change Penticton back to NO changes, and keep everything just as it is."

Interesting that Kimberly, Vassilaki and Robinson have all been forgiven for anything voters were unhappy about the last time they were involved. Perhaps people don't actually recall what they were complaining about the last few times they visited the polls.

Unsurprising with our demographic, but disappointing. So many people claim they are only thinking of their grandchildren, but they don't seem to understand their grandchildren's needs and wants don't actually align with what these elders think they should need and want.

I'm rather curious to see a breakdown of voter turnout by age. Stats as of 2016:
    20 to 64 years:18,345
    65 years and over: 9,800

I still think that that if Cox had not run, it would have been a very close race between Vass and Jakubeit; possibly Jak would have won. The young people will likely blame the seniors for electing Vass; however it was more likely the young people that split the vote, voting for either Cox or Jakubeit.

I saw a lot of younger folks out voting this time, much moreso than last election. Would they normally vote for a 72 year old for Mayor? Its anyone's guess what would have happened had Cox not run for Mayor. He would have done well as councillor and also would likely have pushed Sentes out on her you know what, which would have been great. Now we are stuck with her for another 4 years. Ugh.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

I am in my 30s so do I count as the "young" vote ??

Without naming names I will say the candidate I voted for did not get in.
If that candidate had not been running, I would have likely voted for the one who did get in.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

If Cox would have ran for councillor, I would have voted for him in a heart beat. Oh, and I'm in my 30's, and my guy "got in."
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

ToddT wrote:If Cox would have ran for councillor, I would have voted for him in a heart beat. Oh, and I'm in my 30's, and my guy "got in."

Agreed. Perhaps in 4 more years Cox will be a bit wiser and go for councillor instead. Age may not have played such a role as some have thought (myself included).

The paper said today that Jakubeit "suspects that he and Cox were fighting over the same voters, leaving Vassalaki an easy path to victory".

The majority of voters did not vote for Vassalaki; the numbers prove that. However that is how it works and Vass is the winner.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

pentona wrote:
ToddT wrote:If Cox would have ran for councillor, I would have voted for him in a heart beat. Oh, and I'm in my 30's, and my guy "got in."

Agreed. Perhaps in 4 more years Cox will be a bit wiser and go for councillor instead. Age may not have played such a role as some have thought (myself included).

The paper said today that Jakubeit "suspects that he and Cox were fighting over the same voters, leaving Vassalaki an easy path to victory".

The majority of voters did not vote for Vassalaki; the numbers prove that. However that is how it works and Vass is the winner.

Agree to disagree. Like i said, if Cox wasnt running I sure wouldn't have been voting for Jakubeit.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

soupy wrote:
Agree to disagree. Like i said, if Cox wasnt running I sure wouldn't have been voting for Jakubeit.

That's ok; and we know that things would have been a lot different had either Cox or Jakubeit not run. Age of voters may have entered into the outcome but we will never know. Just have to deal with it and hope for the best for the next 4 years.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

pentona wrote:
soupy wrote:

That's ok; and we know that things would have been a lot different had either Cox or Jakubeit not run. Age of voters may have entered into the outcome but we will never know. Just have to deal with it and hope for the best for the next 4 years.

Yep. And the way I see it is that a democratic vote occurred, and we have a winner.

I won't complain that the candidate I wanted to win was unable to. I did my part, I voted.
I was pleasently surprised Cox actually received more votes than Jakubeit. I think if Vassalaki had not been running Cox would have won the vote.

Return to “South Okanagan”