Illegal treehouse?

Illegal treehouse?

Postby Bunnyhop » Oct 17th, 2018, 11:32 am

This is ridiculous. RDOS has way too much time on their hands if they’re going after a building permit for a treehouse

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... crosshairs

OllyV likes this post.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 734
Likes: 1270 posts
Liked in: 522 posts
Joined: Dec 13th, 2009, 7:47 pm

Re: Illegal treehouse?

Postby TreeGuy » Oct 17th, 2018, 11:41 am

This isn't some little fort built by kids. If they had built it under or to the 10 meters square rule then they wouldn't be having an issue with it. Given the size of it and the fact that it is suspended off the ground I can see the concern for liability by the Regional District.

The lesson, be familiar with the rules and play by them. Why should these people get special treatment?

Bsuds likes this post.
User avatar
TreeGuy
Moderator
 
Posts: 3214
Likes: 1817 posts
Liked in: 3353 posts
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 10:02 pm
Location: Westbank

Re: Illegal treehouse?

Postby soupy » Oct 17th, 2018, 11:42 am

Bunnyhop wrote:This is ridiculous. RDOS has way too much time on their hands if they’re going after a building permit for a treehouse

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... crosshairs


Agree and disagree.

If they choose not to enforce the rules for this Treehouse, then they will have to start ignoring them for other structures. Large sheds / garages will start being built. "well you didn't enforce the rules before, why now?" - says everyone afterwards

What should be done, is the RDOS should create a permit process for Treehouses. Ones that are FREE, but have information set out so a tree house could be constructed safely.

Tony likes this post.
soupy
Board Meister
 
Posts: 643
Likes: 1207 posts
Liked in: 585 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Re: Illegal treehouse?

Postby Fancy » Oct 17th, 2018, 11:43 am

Probably a complaint made? This might clarify a few points:

https://www.penticton.ca/EN/meta/city-n ... afety.html
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 47880
Likes: 1344 posts
Liked in: 7044 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Illegal treehouse?

Postby JagXKR » Oct 17th, 2018, 12:14 pm

They could also choose to place a "notice on title," which will advise the current and future property owners of the issue and protect the RDOS from liability related to the structure.


I like this outcome. Hopefully they choose it.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

twobits likes this post.
User avatar
JagXKR
Übergod
 
Posts: 1410
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 1263 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 6:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: Illegal treehouse?

Postby twobits » Oct 17th, 2018, 6:16 pm

TreeGuy wrote:This isn't some little fort built by kids. If they had built it under or to the 10 meters square rule then they wouldn't be having an issue with it. Given the size of it and the fact that it is suspended off the ground I can see the concern for liability by the Regional District.

The lesson, be familiar with the rules and play by them. Why should these people get special treatment?


Ya missed the four corners of concrete sono tube supporting the tree house.
I have to agree with another poster and hope they just put notice on the title to absolve RDOS from potential liability. This is not an illegal garage or carriage house. No need to make it a Paul Braun argument.
They built a funky place for their kids to be kids rather than be consumed by an xbox. I wish more parents would make such an "illegal" effort.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

7 people like this post.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 7017
Likes: 991 posts
Liked in: 3549 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Illegal treehouse?

Postby GordonH » Oct 17th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Rental income :laugh:
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 22201
Likes: 2646 posts
Liked in: 8269 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Illegal treehouse?

Postby seewood » Oct 17th, 2018, 7:19 pm

GordonH wrote:Rental income


Likely luxurious compared to the closets rented out in Whistler...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod
 
Posts: 1381
Likes: 3213 posts
Liked in: 1385 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Re: Illegal treehouse?

Postby Bunnyhop » Oct 17th, 2018, 7:19 pm

twobits wrote:
TreeGuy wrote:This isn't some little fort built by kids. If they had built it under or to the 10 meters square rule then they wouldn't be having an issue with it. Given the size of it and the fact that it is suspended off the ground I can see the concern for liability by the Regional District.

The lesson, be familiar with the rules and play by them. Why should these people get special treatment?


Ya missed the four corners of concrete sono tube supporting the tree house.
I have to agree with another poster and hope they just put notice on the title to absolve RDOS from potential liability. This is not an illegal garage or carriage house. No need to make it a Paul Braun argument.
They built a funky place for their kids to be kids rather than be consumed by an xbox. I wish more parents would make such an "illegal" effort.


That was pretty much my point. Thanks for “getting it” twobits.

We are so inundated with rules, rules, rules that its impossible not to break a rule or two no matter what you do.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 734
Likes: 1270 posts
Liked in: 522 posts
Joined: Dec 13th, 2009, 7:47 pm


Return to South Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests