Mayor Vassilaki gong show?

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Mayor Vassilaki gong show?

Post by southy »

SouthernOkanagan wrote:
You are a Troll. Get over the fact that your candidate lost. Quit trying to invent health concerns or state them publicly where you might be subject to legal scrutiny. Troll coward.

Dear TWOBITS...
You got me all wrong, but that's totally ok.
I think others here see what I meant by the "health concerns" statement, but I will go over it again just incase YOU still don't get it.
I only meant that IF he is in over his head, and IF he chooses to back out, that HE will probably choose a colourful excuse LIKE a health concern as a reason for leaving, I'm not saying he's sick, I'm not saying I wish him ill and I definitely didn't say he WAS or WASN'T my pick on the ballot.
But for your sake, I'll tell you that I did indeed vote for Vassilakis for Mayor.

And as for transparency, my name is Mark L. and I'm a resident of Penticton living on Lee Avenue, I think that pretty much takes the "troll" name calling right off the table.
PING! PONG! The ball is yours!
Hopefully you can see now that you were wrong.

Have a pee-diddle-eachy day my friend!
Always the best regards, M.L.
Penticton.

Total bullcrap! You sir have gone full circle from trolling to now baiting. Give it up!
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Chessman

Post by Chessman »

Can we get back to the Subject of Vass ( with this Council ) ...please .

With the latest news about Tourism Penticton sending Board ( approx 11 ) and Executive Director and 3 staff to a retreat at Sparkling Hills Resort in VERNON, what is Vass going to do about taxpayers money being spent on this outrageous boondoggle?
Vass stated to the Herald it is “ideal “ when events can be held in the Penticton area, but it’s “ understood that Travel Penticton considers all options and opportunities before deciding exactly where to hold their annual retreat “, “ As I’ve stated in the past ,if public funds are involved, it’s my position that those funds must be spent wisely and not recklessly “.
So Vass , where the funds spent wisely and not recklessly. Yes or No? Vass what are you afraid of? This is obviously not wisely and most definitely recklessly spending of the taxpayers money .Do you not see it ? Or can’t you see it or is there another reason?
As for Council, where are the questions and concerns about this boondoggle? Sentes and Watt specifically you approved the budget for Tourism Penticton in 2018 when this “retreat “ occurred. Why are the two of you not speaking up .?
Please explain Sentes and Watt .
I’m not on the Forum to debate, I don’t engage with cretins and there is nothing you can do about a sub 80 IQ.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

This expenditure must become transparent. Why is TP hesitant to release details? I'm also still trying to figure out how they spent $10k. One nights accommodation and what else and for whom? Did spouses go as well? Alcohol consumption? Meals? Meeting space? Travel costs? I think we'd all like to know the details.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

southy wrote:This expenditure must become transparent. Why is TP hesitant to release details? I'm also still trying to figure out how they spent $10k. One nights accommodation and what else and for whom? Did spouses go as well? Alcohol consumption? Meals? Meeting space? Travel costs? I think we'd all like to know the details.

This from another news agency:

Tischik said he and four staff members from Travel Penticton attended the retreat along with all but “a couple” of the 13 board members. He said attendees stayed for one or two nights, and sat through one day of meetings and presentations to help plan the agency’s strategy for 2019.

So 16 people went. Not hard to rack up a $10,000 bill at Sparkling Hills. What I don’t get is “one or two nights”. So which is it? One night or two. And who paid for this?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
OKlakeguy

Post by OKlakeguy »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--21-.htm

So this is the update to the Greyhound building purchase showing another $280,000 will be required to clean up the property demolish it and clean out some hazardous materials.

The original purchase price of this property was $1.2 million, $350,000 over appraised value and the city was the highest bidder in a bidding war

My question is was this additional $280,000 cost considered when they bought the property? If so, why was that not indicated to the public when they bought the property? I was not a fan of the city behind this property; even less now.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Hasn't the lack of parking in the downtown area been a perennial thorn in the backside of area residents as well as those employed in the area?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Busher wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--21-.htm

So this is the update to the Greyhound building purchase showing another $280,000 will be required to clean up the property demolish it and clean out some hazardous materials.

The original purchase price of this property was $1.2 million, $350,000 over appraised value and the city was the highest bidder in a bidding war

My question is was this additional $280,000 cost considered when they bought the property? If so, why was that not indicated to the public when they bought the property? I was not a fan of the city behind this property; even less now.

One would think that there would have been an inspection done on the building before the City purchased it. (any responsible buyer would do so). That should have showed up any asbestos, etc. The city might be better to not demolish it for now and rent it out.

If the Performing Artsy group ever gets going on there building across the street, THEN parking will be an issue downtown and that would seem the time to demolish the bus depot and turn it into parking. There is lots of paid parking downtown now (ie: old Super Valu lot) that still has plenty of spaces unused for downtown workers. Shoppers, on the other hand want free parking like it is on Main Street.
OKlakeguy

Post by OKlakeguy »

pentona wrote:
Busher wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--21-.htm

One would think that there would have been an inspection done on the building before the City purchased it. (any responsible buyer would do so). That should have showed up any asbestos, etc. The city might be better to not demolish it for now and rent it out.

If the Performing Artsy group ever gets going on there building across the street, THEN parking will be an issue downtown and that would seem the time to demolish the bus depot and turn it into parking. There is lots of paid parking downtown now (ie: old Super Valu lot) that still has plenty of spaces unused for downtown workers. Shoppers, on the other hand want free parking like it is on Main Street.

I am skeptical the arts thing is gonna happen; hasn't happened for years and I doubt the dollars from government/sponsors and individuals will be there, especially after raising a ton of $ for the hospital.

I live downtown and the parking issue I think is a bit overblown when you look at it over 12 months. It is busy during the summer of course but seems to work ok to me. People just have to plan for bigger events and may have to walk a bit.

This is why I am asking the question; I doubt very much the value, after it is flipped to a parking lot, will support a $1.5 million cost . In fact, it won't if it will only generate $40k in income annually from parking. I want to know if the city knew it would have to put another $280K into it and if they did why wasn't that disclosed? I doubt very much any private investor would do this deal. Why are taxpayers?
Penticton321

Post by Penticton321 »

I have a hard time understanding the thought behind paying $300,000 over asking price on a run down commercial property in an economic down turn. Then suddenly being surprised that the building has asbestos in it and will require an abatement. To the reported tune of $280,000, leaving our great town with a nice shiny and new $1,500,000 parking lot, but the good news is it could possible bring in $40,000/year before maintenance. It deals like this that makes the city look like amateurs.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Penticton321 wrote:I have a hard time understanding the thought behind paying $300,000 over asking price on a run down commercial property in an economic down turn. Then suddenly being surprised that the building has asbestos in it and will require an abatement. To the reported tune of $280,000, leaving our great town with a nice shiny and new $1,500,000 parking lot, but the good news is it could possible bring in $40,000/year before maintenance. It deals like this that makes the city look like amateurs.

The only person looking like an amateur here is you. If you bothered reading any number of independent reports, you would know that the money paid was fair market value. You can look for more if you want that say otherwise and post them here but you will just embarrass yourself further.

The total amount of land purchased is 19,800 square feet. A third-party appraisal of the land obtained by the city and undertaken in November set the land value at $1.275 million, according to Haddad.

“The asking price for the property was drastically undervalued at $850,000 in order to attract multiple bids,” he said.

The land is a good strategic buy for the City for downtown planning. Anyone that thinks otherwise is either an idiot or has another agenda.

I look forward to your next post Penticton321 and hope it comes with more thought than your very first post on these threads.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”