Argo lost the contract

Re: Argo lost the contract

Postby soupy » Nov 16th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Glacier wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:If i were an out of a job Argo driver. I would not give a hoot all winter. What they gonna do. Fire me . Already out of a job. Bet half the men quit. Gonna be a gong show this winter. Glad i got a jacked up 4x4 and a second jacked up 4x4.

Nothing changes employment-wise except management. The new contractor always hires the same employees.

Let's just hope the new contractor doesn't severely undercut what the employees are currently being paid.
If it does, then there could be some crappy work done, and worker's quitting to secure new jobs prior to the end of Argo's contract.
soupy
Board Meister

Liked in: 589 posts

Postby pentona » Nov 16th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Glacier wrote:Nothing changes employment-wise except management. The new contractor always hires the same employees.

Perhaps. Perhaps. Wages and benefits the same? If not, drivers may look elsewhere. What about the trucks? Nothing says that Argo must sell off their vehicles; in fact they may just move them to other areas of the province where they have other contracts.

soupy likes this post.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 539 posts

Postby GordonH » Nov 16th, 2018, 1:30 pm

This could be a very interesting winter of driving in the central Okanagan. Over the years I noticed a decline of snow removal from hwy 97/Harvey, wait and see how this season will be.
My tread is still excellent as well my tires, good luck go those with all seasons.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8285 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby southy » Nov 16th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Well Gordo - guess that's why they call it the all season playground. :130:
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 790 posts

Postby soupy » Nov 16th, 2018, 1:42 pm

GordonH wrote:This could be a very interesting winter of driving in the central Okanagan. Over the years I noticed a decline of snow removal from hwy 97/Harvey, wait and see how this season will be.
My tread is still excellent as well my tires, good luck go those with all seasons.

I disagree. Over the years I notice snow removal to be fairly consistent with years prior.
But I have noticed an increase in public complaining, even though Municipalities, HWY contractors post priority routes that will be cleared first etc.
This is Canada, we get snow. Snow cannot be immediately cleared, it takes time.
Mother Nature is unpredictable. :130:

2 people like this post.
soupy
Board Meister

Postby Glacier » Nov 16th, 2018, 1:54 pm

pentona wrote:Perhaps. Perhaps. Wages and benefits the same? If not, drivers may look elsewhere. What about the trucks? Nothing says that Argo must sell off their vehicles; in fact they may just move them to other areas of the province where they have other contracts.

They might, but the contractor will have to raise wages to keep people if they leave. They have an obligation to maintain the roads.

A friend of mine was laid off and re-hired by to be the milk truck driver. Less pay, but still a lot more than other truck drivers who drive outside of dairy, so he didn't complain. Well, maybe he complained, but he signed on just as all the rest did.

Argo's wages weren't so premium, so the new contractor will not have this luxury. It will be for the same pay in all likelihood.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 11127 posts

Postby pentona » Nov 16th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Glacier wrote:They might, but the contractor will have to raise wages to keep people if they leave. They have an obligation to maintain the roads.

A friend of mine was laid off and re-hired by to be the milk truck driver. Less pay, but still a lot more than other truck drivers who drive outside of dairy, so he didn't complain. Well, maybe he complained, but he signed on just as all the rest did.

Argo's wages weren't so premium, so the new contractor will not have this luxury. It will be for the same pay in all likelihood.

Any thoughts of where the Spanish company will get their vehicles? Argo is under no obligation to sell theirs and might have another place for them in the Province. Perhaps they will send a freighter from Spain with trucks on board?

Someone else mentioned that the new company has no experience in road maintenance. Went to their website and it is rather tough to locate such experience, other than building roadways.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 539 posts

Postby EdCase » Nov 16th, 2018, 2:09 pm

southy wrote:If there have been problems in the past (and there have) then a full review of management must occur. Policies and enforcement of those policies come from the top down. I don't think anyone is pointing the finger at the drivers, they are simply doing what they've been instructed to do. Not knowing anyone within Argo I can't say for sure that there were internal issues. However, the fact they lost the contract speaks volumes.

The contract was lost strictly on price; Argo was and is highly respected by the regional Ministry staff. Ask them how happy they are about dealing with an inexperienced contractor who bought the contract.
EdCase
Board Meister

Liked in: 89 posts

Postby XT225 » Nov 16th, 2018, 2:14 pm

EdCase wrote:
The contract was lost strictly on price; Argo was and is highly respected by the regional Ministry staff. Ask them how happy they are about dealing with an inexperienced contractor who bought the contract.

How do you know this? I don't recall seeing it publicly stated that the Ministry took the "Low Bid"? Surely, experience in maintaining highways would be required and not just the dollar amount. :135:
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 704 posts

Postby Tony » Nov 16th, 2018, 2:26 pm

pentona wrote:
Glacier wrote:They might, but the contractor will have to raise wages to keep people if they leave. They have an obligation to maintain the roads.

Any thoughts of where the Spanish company will get their vehicles? Argo is under no obligation to sell theirs and might have another place for them in the Province. Perhaps they will send a freighter from Spain with trucks on board?

Someone else mentioned that the new company has no experience in road maintenance. Went to their website and it is rather tough to locate such experience, other than building roadways.

The thought that they would bring vehicles in from outside the country is oddly preposterous. Why, oh why, would they go to the expense of shipping vehicles across the ocean and then pay to have them inspected, enviro checked and anything else you would have to do to be permitted to drive them on the highway. Just because the head office is in Spain, doesn't mean that everything they do is done in Spanish. I'm sure there are several multi-national companies working in Canada, that hire Canadian, buy Canadian goods and services and pay taxes in Canada. The sky is not falling here.

If Argo wants to hold onto their vehicles, the new company will go out and source other vehicles, whether they attend Ritchie Bros Auctions, or go to Inland and buy everything.

soupy likes this post.
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 382 posts

Postby soupy » Nov 16th, 2018, 2:36 pm

XT225 wrote:
EdCase wrote:

How do you know this? I don't recall seeing it publicly stated that the Ministry took the "Low Bid"? Surely, experience in maintaining highways would be required and not just the dollar amount. :135:

Does not take much to find the specifics.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tran ... ontracting

Ministry's specs of the contract

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/drivi ... 018-19.pdf

Jflem1983 likes this post.
soupy
Board Meister

Postby XT225 » Nov 16th, 2018, 3:47 pm

soupy wrote:

Clear as mud. Nothing in there that states that the Spanish company was the low bid; only that they may have scored well on the list of topics required of them for the contract. It could have been the HIGHEST bid, for all we know. (not saying thats a bad thing either, as often times you "get what you pay for") and everyone wants the best service possible. :up:
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby soupy » Nov 16th, 2018, 4:04 pm

XT225 wrote:
soupy wrote:

Clear as mud. Nothing in there that states that the Spanish company was the low bid; only that they may have scored well on the list of topics required of them for the contract. It could have been the HIGHEST bid, for all we know. (not saying thats a bad thing either, as often times you "get what you pay for") and everyone wants the best service possible. :up:

I didn't ever say they were low bid. I just provided links to the specifics of the bidding process. You were asking to see "publicly stated", so I provided helpful links so you could review the process.
I highly doubt you would ever see publicly the exact amount the contract was for, or what the other bids were.

soupy
Board Meister

Postby XT225 » Nov 16th, 2018, 4:12 pm

soupy wrote:I didn't ever say they were low bid. I just provided links to the specifics of the bidding process. You were asking to see "publicly stated", so I provided helpful links so you could review the process.
I highly doubt you would ever see publicly the exact amount the contract was for, or what the other bids were.

Sorry. I got it now. Thanks for the links. It was EdCase who said this:

"The contract was lost strictly on price; Argo was and is highly respected by the regional Ministry staff. Ask them how happy they are about dealing with an inexperienced contractor who bought the contract."

Sounds like Fake News (re the price being the only reason Argo lost out). One would have to have inside knowledge of the bids to state otherwise.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby soupy » Nov 16th, 2018, 4:14 pm

XT225 wrote:
soupy wrote:I didn't ever say they were low bid. I just provided links to the specifics of the bidding process. You were asking to see "publicly stated", so I provided helpful links so you could review the process.

Sorry. I got it now. Thanks for the links. It was EdCase who said this:

"The contract was lost strictly on price; Argo was and is highly respected by the regional Ministry staff. Ask them how happy they are about dealing with an inexperienced contractor who bought the contract."

Sounds like Fake News (re the price being the only reason Argo lost out). One would have to have inside knowledge of the bids to state otherwise.

This link (although not specifically what you are seeking) makes me think that infact you will see publicly the amount of the contract.
This shows the scores for all contractors, and the winning bid only.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/drivi ... esults.pdf
Last edited by soupy on Nov 16th, 2018, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soupy
Board Meister

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan