Argo lost the contract

Re: Argo lost the contract

Postby Jflem1983 » Nov 16th, 2018, 3:14 pm

XT225 wrote:
soupy wrote:I didn't ever say they were low bid. I just provided links to the specifics of the bidding process. You were asking to see "publicly stated", so I provided helpful links so you could review the process.
I highly doubt you would ever see publicly the exact amount the contract was for, or what the other bids were.

Sorry. I got it now. Thanks for the links. It was EdCase who said this:

"The contract was lost strictly on price; Argo was and is highly respected by the regional Ministry staff. Ask them how happy they are about dealing with an inexperienced contractor who bought the contract."

Sounds like Fake News (re the price being the only reason Argo lost out). One would have to have inside knowledge of the bids to state otherwise.

Personally i thought in Kelowna. The plowing has been A+ . Those Argo guys were doing a great job here.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

soupy likes this post.
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3266 posts

Postby GordonH » Nov 16th, 2018, 4:35 pm

When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7930 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Glacier » Nov 16th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Bankeir? I BEFORE E EXCEPT AFTER C, you Crazy people.
“We have a right to believe whatever we want, but not everything we believe is right.”
~Ravi Zacharias
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 10448 posts

Postby EdCase » Nov 16th, 2018, 5:13 pm

XT225 wrote:Sorry. I got it now. Thanks for the links. It was EdCase who said this:

"The contract was lost strictly on price; Argo was and is highly respected by the regional Ministry staff. Ask them how happy they are about dealing with an inexperienced contractor who bought the contract."

Sounds like Fake News (re the price being the only reason Argo lost out). One would have to have inside knowledge of the bids to state otherwise.

The bid evaluation is based 30% on the quality of the proposal submitted and 70% on the price: regardless of how well you do on the proposal, it is very hard to overcome a low bid. On the existing contracts, the split was 40/60 so the government has moved even more to price being the main criteria for contract award: given that lives are at stake, this is a highly questionable move.

2 people like this post.
EdCase
Board Meister

Liked in: 89 posts

Postby GEW » Nov 16th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Most highway maintenance contractors, have a union agreement in place that states they must hire all the same workers from the previous contractor. From what I can see the BCGEU contract is iron clad and has no room for wage reductions, etc.
Also, the ministry determines acceptable conditions for snow removal, it is not up to the contractor at all. The contractor only decides how much to charge. Just because the company is from Spain, does not mean they will stop plowing the road- unless they want fines from the government.
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.

3 people like this post.
GEW
Fledgling

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Nov 16th, 2018, 10:33 pm

Glacier wrote:Bankeir? I BEFORE E EXCEPT AFTER C, you Crazy people.

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We See
We Judge

2 people like this post.
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1392 posts

Postby Glacier » Nov 16th, 2018, 11:40 pm

Some maps spell it Bankier and some spell it Bankeir. I wonder who is lying?
“We have a right to believe whatever we want, but not everything we believe is right.”
~Ravi Zacharias
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 10448 posts

Argo loses contract for highways maintenance....

Postby dle » Nov 17th, 2018, 5:59 am

Didn't see this topic posted on any other thread but could easily have missed it....

https://www.castanet.net/news/Poll/2421 ... e#comments

For those of us wondering if the new company taking over from Argo will be any better at winter maintenance of the highways, they will be starting off their new contract on better footing. From the story link posted below, I have listed the new minimum requirements of the contract and only time will tell of course but I think they are definitely an improvement over what was considered "good maintenance" with Argo's contract!

Let's hope it makes a real difference!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... s-contract

The Ministry of Transportation says the new contracts require higher standards and a more proactive approach to winter events.

Improvements to the contracts include:

Increased communication with the public about changing road conditions and other incidents affecting travel on B.C. roads.

Return Class A highways to bare pavement within 24 hours of a winter weather event ending at pavement temperatures of -9 C or warmer, when deicing chemical use is safe and effective. The previous standard was 48 hours.

Increase patrol frequency to 90 minutes on a Class A highway, like the Coquihalla, during a winter storm. The previous standard was four hours.

When a weather event is forecast to occur, increase the patrol frequency to four hours. The previous standard was 24 hours.
dle
Übergod

Liked in: 1650 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Nov 17th, 2018, 6:09 am

GEW wrote:Most highway maintenance contractors, have a union agreement in place that states they must hire all the same workers from the previous contractor. From what I can see the BCGEU contract is iron clad and has no room for wage reductions, etc.
Also, the ministry determines acceptable conditions for snow removal, it is not up to the contractor at all. The contractor only decides how much to charge. Just because the company is from Spain, does not mean they will stop plowing the road- unless they want fines from the government.

BCGEU. Oh great ...
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Argo loses contract for highways maintenance....

Postby Bsuds » Nov 17th, 2018, 6:11 am

Apparently engaging in Sex on a regular basis is beneficial to having a good memory.

I just want to wish everyone a Happy New Year for 2014.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11555 posts

Postby Tony » Nov 17th, 2018, 6:22 am

Jflem1983 wrote:
GEW wrote:Most highway maintenance contractors, have a union agreement in place that states they must hire all the same workers from the previous contractor. From what I can see the BCGEU contract is iron clad and has no room for wage reductions, etc.

BCGEU. Oh great ...

They've always been BCGEU... that part doesn't change
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 346 posts

Postby dle » Nov 17th, 2018, 6:38 am

Thanks for directing me to this thread BSuds (I had posted this elsewhere)...

For those of us wondering if the new company taking over from Argo will be any better at winter maintenance of the highways, they will be starting off their new contract on better footing. From the story link posted below, I have listed the new minimum requirements of the contract and only time will tell of course but I think they are definitely an improvement over what was considered "good maintenance" with Argo's contract!

The Ministry of Transportation says the new contracts require higher standards and a more proactive approach to winter events.

Increased communication with the public about changing road conditions and other incidents affecting travel on B.C. roads.

Return Class A highways to bare pavement within 24 hours of a winter weather event ending at pavement temperatures of -9 C or warmer, when deicing chemical use is safe and effective. The previous standard was 48 hours.

Increase patrol frequency to 90 minutes on a Class A highway, like the Coquihalla, during a winter storm. The previous standard was four hours.

When a weather event is forecast to occur, increase the patrol frequency to four hours. The previous standard was 24 hours.
dle
Übergod

Re: Argo loses contract for highways maintenance....

Postby dle » Nov 17th, 2018, 6:39 am

Thanks Bsuds.... I moved it over there....
dle
Übergod

Postby Jflem1983 » Nov 17th, 2018, 6:53 am

dle wrote:Thanks for directing me to this thread BSuds (I had posted this elsewhere)...

So they are moving towards the standards used in Alberta. See ten plows there for every one on the BC side. Really noticeable on the drive to Banff

Jflem1983
Guru

Postby Anonymous123 » Nov 17th, 2018, 8:59 am

pentona wrote:Any thoughts of where the Spanish company will get their vehicles? Argo is under no obligation to sell theirs and might have another place for them in the Province. Perhaps they will send a freighter from Spain with trucks on board?

Someone else mentioned that the new company has no experience in road maintenance. Went to their website and it is rather tough to locate such experience, other than building roadways.

For those who didn't read the entire article on Castanet, here's a quote:

Acciona has a presence in 30 countries, including offices in Vancouver, and is one of the main civil works contractors working on the Site C Dam.
We See
We Judge
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1392 posts

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan